Biker Scout Boots - DIY

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

Paul K
Site Admin

Biker Scout Boots - DIY

Post by Paul K » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:51 pm

If you think paying US$150 for a pair of CA Boots (by the time it's shipped, it'll probably be US$200) is crazy but you really want to have a screen accurate pair of boots for your Biker Scout costume, well, now you can. Unfortunately, the 501st Pathfinders detachment (BikerScout.net) where I got the boot tutorial from is down for the time being. I will post a link when it's back up again. Using the tutorial, I bought hiking boots from Queensway ($50.00), fake leather material from Jalan Sultan ($9.00 per metre and I had enough material for 2 pairs), Dunlop glue ($2.50), riverts ($1.00), interlining material ($2.00 this helps to make the side walls stiff), velcro ($2.00) AND that came up to: $66.50 and that's in Sing $!!!! Woo hoo! My wife helped me a darn lot with the fitting and adjustments so she is the master boot maker, not me. In terms of time, it took about 2 days to get this done so you should be able to finish a pair of boots in a weekend, once you get all your materials. Get help for the stiching as you'll need an industrial strength sewing machine to get the job done. Anyway, the following are the results to a screen accurate pair of Biker Scour Boots. Enjoy.

Boots Material:

Ker Seng Heng
1 Syed Alwi Road
#01-07/08 Song Lin Building
Singapore 207628

Tel: 62988007

Last edited by Paul K on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Let's try to post up the full tutorial...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Very cool DIY Biker Scout boots!

However Dunlop glue may not be the ebst choice as its yellowish in colour, and its not waterproof. May wanna look around for some kind of waterproof clear glue, or get a cobbler to reinforce the seams by sewing with durable white thread.

Paul, you have a source for a pair of accurate biker scout boots for $200 shipped? That's around USD100, very cheap as far as I'm concerned. Can PM me the contact?

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:14 pm

Firstly, Paul, thanks for sharing with us the cost-effective method fabricating a pair of movie accurate Biker Scout Boots. :)

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:However Dunlop glue may not be the best choice as its yellowish in colour, and its not waterproof. May wanna look around for some kind of waterproof clear glue, or get a cobbler to reinforce the seams by sewing with durable white thread.
Plo Strax-Avix you have brought up a very interesting point here. As a matter of fact there is a subsidiary company that I will be auditing soon and they manufacture adhesives & glue under the brand name DUNLOP in Malaysia. Can confirm with the management whether it is waterproof and whether they make a clear version of it or otherwise.
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:Very cool DIY Biker Scout boots!

However Dunlop glue may not be the ebst choice as its yellowish in colour, and its not waterproof. May wanna look around for some kind of waterproof clear glue, or get a cobbler to reinforce the seams by sewing with durable white thread.

Paul, you have a source for a pair of accurate biker scout boots for $200 shipped? That's around USD100, very cheap as far as I'm concerned. Can PM me the contact?
It's CA boots and you can find them on ebay. It'll be more like $200 USD, Plo. They don't come cheap. Sigh.

It may not have come out in the pictures but all seams have been sewn.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

erase

Post by erase » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:13 pm

Bro, Well done. Nice...Unique on its own... :)
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:28 pm

erase wrote:Bro, Well done. Nice...Unique on its own... :)
Thanks Bro. Finished the Binocs?
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

erase

Post by erase » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Paul K wrote:
erase wrote:Bro, Well done. Nice...Unique on its own... :)
Thanks Bro. Finished the Binocs?
yup..almost... Thanks. :)
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

chakster

Post by chakster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:05 am

$9 bucks a metre? Thats cheap. :) The vinyl I used s the shiny kind and I'm thinking of redoing them. The other vinyl they had at spotlight was a little too thick to use.

You remember which shop? :)
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:17 am

chakster wrote:$9 bucks a metre? Thats cheap. :) The vinyl I used s the shiny kind and I'm thinking of redoing them. The other vinyl they had at spotlight was a little too thick to use.

You remember which shop? :)
Hey Chak, I got their card at home. I'll PM you the address tonight.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:05 pm

The SITH OverLORD wrote:As a matter of fact there is a subsidiary company that I will be auditing soon and they manufacture adhesives & glue under the brand name DUNLOP in Malaysia. Can confirm with the management whether it is waterproof and whether they make a clear version of it or otherwise.
If you can find a cheap local source for clear, waterproof adhesive, it'd make a LOT of gluing job so much easier! Do keep us informed!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 pm

Paul K wrote:It's CA boots and you can find them on ebay. It'll be more like $200 USD, Plo. They don't come cheap. Sigh.
Aaahhh...thought you meant SGD200... :cry:

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:15 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:
Paul K wrote:It's CA boots and you can find them on ebay. It'll be more like $200 USD, Plo. They don't come cheap. Sigh.
Aaahhh...thought you meant SGD200... :cry:
Yeah, I wish it could be as cheap as that. But the CA boots are real leather sewn so there is a difference. Are you planning on a Biker Scout?
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:48 am

My first pair of boots for my Biker Scout costume was one that was recommended by Studio Creations... The Lacrosse Majesty 11-inch PVC boot... Cost me quite a search and a high bid on Ebay to get a pair as they were no longer in production...

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... boots.html

But feedback wasn't encouraging, so I used the same tutorial as Paul to upgrade...

I bought white glossy vinyl cloth from the following shop at SGD10 per metre...

Gim Joo Textile Co Pte Ltd
90 Arab Street

I used Shelleys Gel-Grip Adhesive to attach the cut pieces of vinyl cloth onto the boot. As the vinyl cloth was pretty thin, the yellowish colour of the adhesive was visible beneath the layer. But it shouldn't be too significant cos your boots are likely to get dirty as time go by. I hand-sewed the vinyl cloth onto the boots at the openings and employed fasteners at the rear for easy wear.

ImageImage

A DIY pair of boots should cost about SGD50, inclusive of adhesive, since a cheaper pair of PVC boots of any colour can be used as the base. However, do get one with a brown sole.
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:49 am

Hi Guys,

I have not been able to contact the person who wrote the tutorial for the boot so I can't it post it until I obtain his permission. Alas, BikerScout.net is still down. In the meantime, if anybody needs help, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Return to “The Academy”