A Conversation with Kerrie Dougherty, Star Wars author

The mega event that came to our sunny island !

Moderators: erase, danchia

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi everyone.... finally overcame my exhaustion after last night ....

Check out the photofeature of last night's event at :

http://www.starwars.sg/index.php?option ... 9&Itemid=1

I would like to register my deep appreciation to lhs1701 for taking the day off yesterday to bring Kerrie Dougherty out sightseeing, to jedijean for hosting the lunch, and to masterjamous, for lugging so many heavy copies of the book from Orchard Road all the way to Jurong so that we could get Kerrie to sign them for us. AND to all who turned up , of course, what a fantastic event ! :D

Full story and many more pictures at :

http://www.starwars.sg/index.php?option ... 9&Itemid=1

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:50 pm

imagine our horror and devastation when we were informed to vacate the SSC room before 9pm.... and all we needed was another 10 minutes to conduct the autograph session :roll:

BUT many THANKS to the staff at Mcdonald's who were gracious enough to switch on their outdoor lights past their operating hours, to allow our group of Star Wars fans to have our autograph session with Kerrie...

Thumbs up to Mcdonald's for the demonstration of their Excellent Service Reputation. :D

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Dranoel wrote:imagine our horror and devastation when we were informed to vacate the SSC room before 9pm.... and all we needed was another 10 minutes to conduct the autograph session :roll:

BUT many THANKS to the staff at Mcdonald's who were gracious enough to switch on their outdoor lights past their operating hours, to allow our group of Star Wars fans to have our autograph session with Kerrie...

Thumbs up to Mcdonald's for the demonstration of their Excellent Service Reputation. :D
Actually, it's a good thing we did vacate the Science Centre... after all, we did take a lot longer than 10 minutes , with the photo taking and all..... but I agree that the Duty Manager of Singapore Science Centre that evening could have been a little more gracious about it. After all, Kerrie Dougherty did come all the way from Australia to give a lecture that is an authorised Special Event as part of the Art of Star Wars tour in Singapore. Hmm, come to think about it, he wasn't even helpful in the least bit when I asked him for a Laser Pointer just before the start of Kerrie's lecture. Imagine that, there isn't a single Laser Pointer in the entire Singapore Science Centre complex to be found.... how ironic. :roll:

>Tsk< >Tsk<

What a difference between the reaction of the McDonalds manager and the duty manager of the Singapore Science Centre......

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:45 pm

So wish I could've been there to meet and interatc with Kerrie Dougherty. You guys are truly lucky and priviledged.
danchia wrote:What a difference between the reaction of the McDonalds manager and the duty manager of the Singapore Science Centre......
That's the difference between a guy who runs a place and a guy who lets a place run him... :roll:

And why McD's people development programme is widely acknowledged as one of the best, if not THE best in the world...

masterjamous

Post by masterjamous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:24 am

My humble sincere thanks to DanChia & team, and especially Kerrie for waiting my arrival to start the talk.
I was panicking that the talk would've proceeded without me and I should missed all the excellent tidbits of information.
I'm just big time glad Being There!! For those who gave it a miss, you folks just lost a golden time experience!!
To top it off, the icing was the makan-chit-chat at Lau Pa Sat!!
Thanks for the memory, forever etched in my autographed DK Star Wars - Complete Locations book!!!
:D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P

to SSC organisers = Are you for Real?
to Golden Arches = 3 Cheers living up to your quinessential motto "We Do It All For You"
ImageImageImage

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 am

From what I've been following in this thread WISHED I was there to ask Kerrie a thing or two, esp on Tatooine :lol: GLAD to know that the friendly McDonald's personnel came and saved the day (or night) of the all the STAR WARS fans who participated in this event.

BTW Master Jamous, how many copies did you cart to SSC from Orchard Road? :wink:
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

masterjamous

Post by masterjamous » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 am

The SITH OverLORD wrote:

BTW Master Jamous, how many copies did you cart to SSC from Orchard Road? :wink:

The Mission Order was for 6

8)
ImageImageImage

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:31 am

masterjamous wrote:The Mission Order was for 6

8)
Ah, EXECUTE "Order 6" for the Galactic Empire! :lol:

:roll:

BTW were you in this Group pic taken with Kerrie?
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:10 am

masterjamous wrote:
The SITH OverLORD wrote:

The Mission Order was for 6

8)
And on hindsight, perhaps I should have been bolder and asked for 10 .... there are now fans clamouring for signed copies, but all six had been taken up on the spot by fans attending the event. It was a very heavy book, so masterjamous had to lug two heavy bagfuls of the book all the way from Orchard to Jurong by public transport .... for which I am extremely grateful ! The autograph session was a great success solely due to masterjamous ! :)
The SITH OverLORD wrote:
masterjamous wrote:The Mission Order was for 6

8)
Ah, EXECUTE "Order 6" for the Galactic Empire! :lol:

:roll:

BTW were you in this Group pic taken with Kerrie?
Indeed he is !!! But I will let masterjamous himself reveal which one he is !

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 am

danchia wrote:but all six had been taken up on the spot by fans attending the event.
Eh? You didn't reserve one for me? Thought I did ask your help to get me a copy to be authographed? :cry:

donleow

Post by donleow » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 pm

just to be fair to Kerrie...that i think those who wants the book autographed should make the effort to personally and get Kerrie to sign.. i know is CNY period and everyone is busy with house cleaning, work and dinner and so do the group of people in pictures which some of starwars fan has make time to meet up with kerrie despite the conflict of schedule they have.

so i think will be fair for fans appearing that day to have the book owned and autograph which will serve the biggest respect to the author herself in this case.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:23 pm

If your post was directed at me donleow, do bear in mind that I'm located all the way across the South China Sea, in case you don't yet know. Not every member here is conveniently located in Singapore.

I've just recently made a trip to visit the AoSW exhibition as part of the MySciFiFan Costume Contingent, and although I very much love to, just could not spend that kind of money again to meet up with Kerrie...

donleow

Post by donleow » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:59 pm

haha Plo

definitely not pointing at u and i know u personally when we met at james star trek meeting..just that i took the opportunity to clear the perception that local fans have...who have sort of asking daniel for the similar request which is really about getting up, close and personal meant a lot more than just owning her signature and appreciate her sharing of experiences which i think this is something beyond any value that can be measured in the starwars universe

for ur case,,,i m sincerely apologetic for the fact that u didnt get ur book signed and kerrie has mentioned if the time and her work schedule allows she will still come back for the closing event which u will have the 2nd chance to get her autograph...

but again i like to mention that everyone should be getting the book personally without just assuming to get her autograph cos this starwars location visual guide authored by her have tonnes of informations beyond the movie can explain and alot of naming conventions of the locations, item, places are named after her friends, family and the one she loves and is definitely a worthy book to own on its own

cheers

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:
danchia wrote:but all six had been taken up on the spot by fans attending the event.
Eh? You didn't reserve one for me? Thought I did ask your help to get me a copy to be authographed? :cry:

Hey Pol,

Yours was one of the six .... don't worry . :) Kerrie signed a very nice personalised autograph for you. :D

And yes, Don, Pol stays in East Malaysia , and is one of our strongest supporters of www.starwars.sg AND the Art of Star Wars exhibition . I know for sure that Pol would definitely have come to the event if he were in Singapore at that time.

Pol, I'm sure Don did not direct his post to you alone, I guess it was just disappointing for everyone present that there was not greater fan support for the event. This was definitely an event that should not have been missed. I know many fans wanted to come, but could not , because of the CNY preparations and all.

I've put your copy in a sealed plastic bag, and will keep it as mint as possible until such time I can get the book to you , Pol :)

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:12 pm

See .... I always keep my promises. :D

Return to “Star Wars Exhibition at the Singapore Science Centre”