Lucas' Boba Fett-ish Confirmed

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Fri May 20, 2005 1:10 pm

We have waited three long years. We've latched onto every rumor, and heard every excuse. Now the time has come, is Fett in the final installment of Star Wars?

This reporter sat down, waiting to see this new installment of Star Wars. With him; the best soda, Pibb. The best theater snack, popcorn. The most climatic chapter in the greatest saga of all time, Revenge of the Sith.

Of course, no Star Wars movie could be truly complete without a taste of Fett.

Unfortunately, our young hero that is hated by many, loved by more, and cherished by all of us at BFFC, did not make his much expected and hoped for cameo appearance in Revenge of the Sith.

Fear not, while we do not see the great bounty hunter himself, there is plenty of hard-core, edge-of-seat action from his clone "brothers." Expect to see plenty of Jedi scum getting blasted by these ultimate soldiers created from the genes of the most deadly professional in the galaxy.

Fett or no Fett, this is the perfect movie to bring this great theatrical saga to a close. For those of you that are yet to see it, yet decided to read this spoiler anyhow, try not to drink too much bantha milk. You won’t want to miss a single piece of the seemingly never-ending action of this movie.

Also, keep your eyes out for the Falcon, it's there.

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Fri May 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Forget Anakin -- for die-hard 'Star Wars' fans, Boba Fett rules
Peter Hartlaub

Saturday, May 14, 2005

When Aaron Proctor started his Boba Fett Web site as a teenager in 1996, the San Francisco native wasn't expecting many visitors. After all, the "Star Wars" bounty hunter had only five lines in the original trilogy, and his apparent death in "Return of the Jedi" was the interstellar equivalent of slipping in the bathtub.

A year later, www.bobafett.com became so popular that Boba himself came calling. Jeremy Bulloch, the man behind the mask in the films, showed up on Proctor's birthday.

"He was in town for a convention," Proctor recalls. "He invited me to sit at the table with him and Darth Vader. I can't even tell you how special that was."

For thousands of "Star Wars" fans, Proctor's opportunity to roll with Boba Fett is better than anything short of a moment alone with Princess Leia in her Jabba the Hutt slave costume. In the movies, the bounty hunter does little more than deliver Han Solo's frozen body to the aforementioned Hutt. But Boba Fett collectibles are still among the most expensive, his fans are among the most passionate and the moviemakers treat him like a star -- Boba was the main image on the official "Star Wars" Web site this week, even though he isn't in the new movie, "Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith," opening Thursday.

Bulloch, living proof that there's no such thing as a small role, is as baffled as anyone about the phenomenon.

"I originally was told that the role of Boba Fett was to take just a few days," says Bulloch, who spends several weeks each year signing Boba Fett photos and memorabilia on the convention circuit. "At the time, I never thought the name Boba Fett would be talked about so much. ... I am now getting letters from Poland, Hungary and all over South America."

All for a character whose dialogue was limited to the following 28 words:

"As you wish."

"He's no good to me dead."

"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

"Put Capt. Solo in the cargo hold."

"Aaaaaaaaargh!"

When director George Lucas released his tricked-out remastered trilogy last year, Boba Fett's screen time was expanded appreciably -- but he still appears for only 95 seconds in "The Empire Strikes Back," 34 seconds in "Return of the Jedi" and a blink-and-you'll-miss-him cameo in the original film.

During his time on screen, Boba fires six shots with his blaster, five of which can be seen missing their intended target. He briefly entangles Luke Skywalker with a grappling hook, but it's a hollow victory -- in a bit of bad acting that was common to Mark Hamill's performance, Skywalker keeps his arms on his sides and pretty much allows himself to be ensnared.

So why have more than 25 separate Boba Fett Web sites emerged over the years? And why does the "Official Price Guide to Star Wars Memorabilia" list Boba's "The Empire Strikes Back" action figure as the most expensive (worth up to $280), while C-3PO costs $115 and Lando Calrissian maxes out at $90?

Proctor, now an aspiring cinematographer at UCLA, said his initial attraction to the character was visual: Despite some weird-looking accessories (is that a blaster on Fett's left arm, or an ATM?), Boba Fett's battle-worn armor makes him cooler-looking than anyone else in the series. Proctor points out things such as the T-shape on the face of his helmet and the artful insignia that he wears as sort of a brand logo on his shoulder guards.

"There's this high sense of design and mystery that goes along with Boba Fett," Proctor says. "He's somebody to the side of the spotlight. Somebody who is there and aware, and then jumping in and reacting when it's necessary."

Star Wars conceptual artist Ralph McQuarrie had a hand in creating Boba, but the final Fett design is credited to "The Empire Strikes Back" art director Joe Johnston, who discusses the character in "Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays."

"I painted Boba's outfit and tried to make it look like it was made of different pieces of armor," explains Johnston, who went on to direct his own feature films including "Jumanji" and "Jurassic Park III." "It was a symmetrical design, but I painted it in such a way that it looked like he had scavenged parts and had done some personalizing of his costume; he had little trophies hanging from his belt, and he had little braids of hair, almost like a collection of scalps."

Whatever the attraction, Boba's popularity is undeniable. Proctor says he gets between 1,000 and 1,500 hits per day at www.bobafett.com, and receives regular contributions from Bulloch and Daniel Logan, who played Boba as a child in "Episode II -- Attack of the Clones." There are more than 70 pieces of "fan fiction" that invent new stories for Boba Fett, and one of the most popular features is a fan-made video that blends clips of the bounty hunter with rap music.

Among the Bobaphiles, there is still much anger surrounding the character's demise -- a slapstick moment during the fight on Jabba's barge during "Return of the Jedi." Near the end of the battle, a blind Han Solo accidentally sets off Boba's rocket backpack, and the character whizzes like a deflating balloon into the Great Pit of Carkoon -- which contains a creature that resembles enormous female genitalia and slowly digests its victims for 1, 000 years.

Notoriously unapologetic "Star Wars" creator Lucas -- who still owes the world an "I'm sorry" for Jar Jar Binks and "The Star Wars Holiday Special" -- has admitted he was wrong to let Boba die so unceremoniously, and contemplated adding a scene where Boba crawls out of the pit.

"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was going to turn into such a popular character, I probably would have made it a little more exciting, " Lucas explains on the "Return of the Jedi" commentary track. "... For having such a small part he had a very large presence."

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 20, 2005 1:17 pm

ya i was a bit disappointed that boba was not in action specifically that count dooku should have adopted him since his father Jango was beheaded by Mace Windu. Nevertheless, let;s hope the release of ep3 dvd will review more and hopefully in the deleted scene.

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Fri May 20, 2005 1:23 pm

they said that Master Mace Windu took care of little boba fett????

It can not BE lor!

sanjaystones

Post by sanjaystones » Fri May 20, 2005 4:37 pm

Boba Fett should get a big role in the TV series since it focuses on minor characters in the movies and takes place after ROTS....we might see how he grows up to be the best bounty hunter in the galaxy or so they say.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Fri May 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Lord_Angelus wrote:When director George Lucas released his tricked-out remastered trilogy last year, Boba Fett's screen time was expanded appreciably -- but he still appears for only 95 seconds in "The Empire Strikes Back," 34 seconds in "Return of the Jedi" and a blink-and-you'll-miss-him cameo in the original film.
:?: Anyone care to share which was the scene in A New Hope that he appeared in?

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri May 20, 2005 11:32 pm

When the digital Jabba was shouting for Solo in the Falcon hanger, Fett was standing juz on the right hand screen. Juz as Jabba walked off later, he was seen wondering & looking around on the middle screen. All juz to give him more screen times
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

Ayeecheewawa

Post by Ayeecheewawa » Mon May 23, 2005 5:38 pm

But Jeremy Bulloch did make a cameo in ROTS. Check out the closing credits. :wink:
Yub nub /eee chop yub nub
/ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene/
g'noop dock fling

oh ah Yah wah/ eee chop yah wah/
ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene/g'noop

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Mon May 23, 2005 7:27 pm

Ayeecheewawa wrote:But Jeremy Bulloch did make a cameo in ROTS. Check out the closing credits. :wink:
I saw it when he was fl;ying the ship!

hbng
Site Admin

Post by hbng » Mon May 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Lord_Angelus wrote:
Ayeecheewawa wrote:But Jeremy Bulloch did make a cameo in ROTS. Check out the closing credits. :wink:
Alamak, I missed it. Which ship?

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Wed May 25, 2005 12:46 am

hbng wrote:
Lord_Angelus wrote:
Alamak, I missed it. Which ship?
When Yoda and obi-wan and that NYPD blue guy

sanjaystones

Post by sanjaystones » Wed May 25, 2005 7:50 am

Jeremy Bulloch plays Captain Colton on Tantive IV. He is the one who tells Bail Organa that there is an incoming message from the Supreme Chancellor's office as they are heading back to Coruscant after rescuing Obi-Wan and Yoda.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

freefly

Post by freefly » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:33 am

Tomcat wrote:When the digital Jabba was shouting for Solo in the Falcon hanger, Fett was standing juz on the right hand screen. Juz as Jabba walked off later, he was seen wondering & looking around on the middle screen. All juz to give him more screen times
And to establish the fact that Boba's a minion of Jabba. Though a very outstanding one

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:41 am

donleow wrote:ya i was a bit disappointed that boba was not in action specifically that count dooku should have adopted him since his father Jango was beheaded by Mace Windu. Nevertheless, let;s hope the release of ep3 dvd will review more and hopefully in the deleted scene.
not possible Dooku was the one who led the Jedis in the war with Jango Fett which kill all of his pple...

BobaFett

Post by BobaFett » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:28 am

Due to gout attack, so sorry I could not appear in ROTS. My apology to all my fans! :wink:

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”