toy too big?

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

icemann

toy too big?

Post by icemann » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:25 pm

just always wondered... most ships are not built to scale... cos they r ..TOYS! purely for playability..

so i start to wonder...2 questions

1) which of the ships are really made good to true dimensions.. off my head.. obvious one is that super xwing!

2) if ships were made true to their actual scales.. which ship would simply be too big to sit on any cabinet =)
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 pm

lol clement got nothing else to think about
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

Mirador

Post by Mirador » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm

made true to their actual scales...

you wouldn't have a house left - it'd be squished flat by a Star Destroyer or something.
ID / TD 2543
501st Singapore Garrison

TD7620

Post by TD7620 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I think the new TIE's wit hthe revised wing panels, are quite close to scale.

As for which would be too big... Death Star? :wink:

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 pm

There's a Millennium Falcon made for 3 3/4 figure scale. I think it is still hanging on one of the shops at CSC. That piece is hugh.

I think the below vehicles from Hasbro had the correct scale.

AT-TE
Landspeeder
Speeder Bike

The rest have to check when I am free. I can use my F-Toys 1/144 series to compare. These comes in correct scales. :wink:

Didn't know Y-Wing length is as long as an AT-AT. Thought that AT-AT is hugh, but actually it is not really when compared to an X-Wing. AT-TE is even smaller. :lol:

icemann

true to scale.. as in..

Post by icemann » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 am

hhahhaha
wat i meant was.. accurate to the scaled down to an action figure... meaning proper dimensioned wings, bodies, etc etc..

not meaning building the actual ship to 1:1 size!!! lol!!
:shock: :lol:
Mirador wrote:made true to their actual scales...

you wouldn't have a house left - it'd be squished flat by a Star Destroyer or something.
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

Mirador

Post by Mirador » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:32 am

hmm then the onyl one I can think of would be the Royal Starship. It would be large enough to position several 3 3/4 figures next to it and still look proportionate...that thing is HUGE.

Unless you're talking about the kind that can insert figures in.

icemann

yap.. the 3 3/4 figures types

Post by icemann » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 am

yap.. when i was tinking of this bo liao questions.. was looking at the vehicle line for the 3 3/4 action figures...

i know some of these ships are grossly out of proportion... slave 1, at-at, b-wing too?.

but looking at the othes, a-wing, snowspeeder, pod racers.. they look ok.. just wondering , which ones really outta proportion .. which ones are nice down to the last detail =)
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:44 am

Mirador wrote:hmm then the onyl one I can think of would be the Royal Starship. It would be large enough to position several 3 3/4 figures next to it and still look proportionate...that thing is HUGE.

Unless you're talking about the kind that can insert figures in.
The Royal Starship released by Hasbro is too small. Out of scale. Go check the cross-section book and see how big the actual Starship is.

Mirador

Post by Mirador » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 am

If that's too small @ almost 1m, I'd marvel at what you'd call big. :lol: If out of scale, yes o.o

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 pm

What I meant small is out of scale. Sorry for the confusion.

If you are talking about size, I think the new Milliennium Falcon is slightly larger than the Naboo Royal Starship in term of area or volume. :wink:

jenki

Post by jenki » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 pm

i think micromachines were good... the action fleet ones.. its the most viable option if u wanna include removable pilots

Valentin

Re: toy too big?

Post by Valentin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 pm

icemann wrote:just always wondered... most ships are not built to scale... cos they r ..TOYS! purely for playability..

so i start to wonder...2 questions

1) which of the ships are really made good to true dimensions.. off my head.. obvious one is that super xwing!

2) if ships were made true to their actual scales.. which ship would simply be too big to sit on any cabinet =)
Actually, since the scale of the hasbro starwars stuff ain't really stated(most take it as 3.75", which isn't even a scale ratio), the nearest scale it's possibly could be is 1/18. Even then, all of it's spacecraft and vehicles are grossly under/over scale.

Take the following shots for example in comparison with 21st century and BBI toys.
ImageImage

Even the underscaled PTE stuff looks better and more in scale.
ImageImage

A profile shot, and that x-wing is seriously dwarf by the apache.

Apart from the scale, in terms of economics, both the x-wing(dagobah version) and the apache, cost me the same amount of credits. And the apache is way more detailed and durable.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

Return to “Star Wars Toys”