What is "scalping"?

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

masteryoyo

What is "scalping"?

Post by masteryoyo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:06 am

Philip Wise on rebelscum.com shared that, in essence, "scalping is about LIMITING the AVAILABILITY of toys, which in turn makes it both difficult and frustrating for collectors to complete their collections. Scalping is NOT about money or price."

do most collectors agree? or is masteryoyo the only one sensing the frustration? :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

WeI

Post by WeI » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:31 am

of course . I always stand on ur point of view .

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:29 pm

From a certain point of view, it probably is, masteryoyo.

Mr Wise's statement is more of a distillation of the situation worldwide.

While on home ground, we do get to see the actions of a few "black" sheep. And sad to say, their actions create a temporary and false demand for certain toys. Most collectors, like us, usually get from overseas, to at least complete whichever that we are building up.

Those that really are affected, as I believe, would be the kids. As their favourite characters which they have seen on TV, do not seem to materialize in retail.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Never really thought about it that way..now the kid who wants a Luke in stormtrooper armor will have to settle for Pons Limbic (don't ask me, I don't know what or who he is either) which is the only one he can find in retail store :(

zirst

Post by zirst » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 pm

"Scalping is NOT about money or price" ? Isn't scalping ultimately about profits ?

@dr34m
If that kid in question is your son, I can make his day :) .

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:59 pm

glad that someone finally spotted the subtlety... cool! 8)

jenki

Post by jenki » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:15 pm

i think its more of 'limiting availability by buying up retailer stock and then increasing the price to make a profit'.

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 am

masteryoyo observed that, recently, prices for scalped sw items such as the rancor w/ luke (sold at carrerour for $9) have gone down significantly to about $50 (from an all time high of $120) on ebay.sg.

guess collectors know that we have been deprived of a once offer item because a few scalpers have amassed the rancor w/ luke.

why should a collector pay for something sold at $9 for so much more? hahaha. Anyway, in time, the price will go down even further because the rancor not only consumes 'live beings' but also large amount of storage space.

masteryoyo wonders what it is like to be in a room filled with boxes of useless rancors :roll:
Last edited by masteryoyo on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PaNiNi

Post by PaNiNi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am

I am still waiting for someone to sell me @ $18. Already 2 times the cost.

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:47 am

PaNiNi wrote:I am still waiting for someone to sell me @ $18. Already 2 times the cost.
PaNiNi, masteryoyo emphathises with you. On the brighter side, time is on your side. The large-sized Rancor, just like the imperial shuttle, takes up great space. Hoarders/scalpers cannot keep them for long (cos, unlike collectors, they have no passion and endurance to hold items. They just want to have a quick profit).

Besides, few guys would want to collect more than one rancor (there is only one the ROTJ movie anyway... hehe). Sooner or later, hoarders/scaplers will find it an eye-sore to store-house a hideous monster at home. At that time, perhaps, you may even be able to get 2 rancors at 18 (with freebies thrown-in) hehe :D

In the meantime, focus your collection on other more reachable AND reasonably priced items. Good luck!

PaNiNi

Post by PaNiNi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 am

In fact, the joy of "hunting" for good buys beats any scaplers' sale.

"Good to have" but not a "Must to have"

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am

PaNiNi wrote:In fact, the joy of "hunting" for good buys beats any scaplers' sale.

"Good to have" but not a "Must to have"
Agree with PaNiNi, masteryoyo must :D

zplus

Post by zplus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I passed on the rancor because it only appeared once and was dead rather quickly. It was vintage stop motion animation. And yes, it takes up space. I think space is worth more than $9. :D

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

a light year has passed since masteryoyo's first post on the topic of sculping. has the local sculpers' market improved? :lol:

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Yes, lots of toys were taken from the current Takashimaya Toy Fair at cheap price and later you can see them selling at CSC 2nd floor. :roll:

Return to “Star Wars Toys”