Legacy Of The Force - What They Leave Behind

Moderators: adamteo, Paul K

Jar

Legacy Of The Force - What They Leave Behind

Post by Jar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:22 pm

This is taken from one of the Forum, spoilers that was left behind, updated its quite a read so enjoy.
:D :D :D

This is the era of Luke Skywalker's legacy: the Jedi Master has unified the order into a cohesive group of powerful Jedi Knights. But as the new era begins, planetary interests threaten to disrupt this time of relative peace, and Luke is plagued with visions of an approaching darkness. Evil is rising again -- out of the best intentions -- and it looks as if the legacy of the Skywalkers may come full circle. Honor and duty will collide with friendship and blood ties as the Skywalker and Solo clans find themselves on opposing sides of an explosive conflict with potentially devastating repercussions for both families, for the Jedi order, and for the entire galaxy.

Legacy of the Force 1: Betrayal

By Aaron Allston
Release date: 5/30/06
Cover artist: Jason Felix
Format: Hardcover

A devastating war threatens the galaxy.
A dangerous destiny summons Jacen Solo.
A dark enemy stalks the Jedi.
When a mission to uncover an illegal missile factory on the planet Adumar ends in a violent ambush -- from which Jedi Knight Jacen Solo and his protégé and cousin, Ben Skywalker, narrowly escape with their lives -- it's the most alarming evidence yet that sparks of political unrest are threatening to ignite into total rebellion. The governments of numerous worlds are chafing under the strict regulations of the Galactic Alliance, and diplomatic efforts to enforce compliance are failing. Fearing the worst, the Alliance readies a preemptive display of military might in a bid to bring the rogue worlds to heel before an uprising erupts. The designated target of this exercise: planet Corellia -- renowned for the brash independence and renegade spirit that have made its favorite son, Han Solo, a legend.

Something of a rogue himself, Jacen is nevertheless duty bound as a Jedi to stand with his uncle, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, on the side of the Galactic Alliance. But when the wary Corellians launch a counterstrike, the Alliance's show of force -- and a secret mission to disable Corellia's crucial Centerpoint Station -- give way to an armed skirmish. Once the smoke clears, the battle lines are drawn. Now the specter of full-scale war looms between a growing cadre of defiant planets and the Galactic Alliance that some fear is becoming a new Empire. And even as both sides struggle to find a diplomatic solution, mysterious acts of treachery and sabotage threaten to doom peace efforts at every turn.

Determined to root out those behind the mayhem, Jacen follows a trail of cryptic clues to a dark rendezvous with the most shocking of revelations... while Luke grapples with something even more troubling: dream visions of a shadowy figure whose Force power and ruthlessness remind him of Darth Vader -- a lethal enemy who strikes like a dark spirit on a mission of doom. An agent of evil who, if Luke's visions come to pass, will bring untold pain to the Jedi Master... and to the entire galaxy.

Dramatis Personae
Aidel Saxan (human female)
Ben Skywalker (human male)
Brisha Syo (human female)
C-3PO (protocol droid)
Cal Omas, Chief of State, Galactic Alliance (human male)
Gilad Pellaeon, Admiral, Galactic Alliance (human male)
Han Solo, Captain, Millennium Falcon (human male)
Heilan Rotham (human female)
Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight (human male)
Jaina Solo, Jedi Knight (human female)
Kolir Hu'lya, Jedi Knight (Bothan female)
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (human male)
Lysa Dunter, Ensign, Galactic Alliance (human female)
Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master (human female)
Nelani Dinn, Jedi Knight (human female)
R2-D2 (astromech droid)
Syal Antilles, Ensign, Galactic Alliance (human female)
Thann Mithric, Jedi Knight (Falleen male)
Thrackan Sal-Solo, Head of State, Corellia (human male)
Tiu Zax, Jedi Knight (Omwati female)
Toval Seyah, Doctor (human male)
Tycho Celchu, General, Galactic Alliance (human male)
Wedge Antilles, General, Corellia (human male)
Zekk, Jedi Knight (human male)[/b]

*Excerpt 1:

Coronet, Corellia

Wearing only shorts and a blue undershirt bearing the symbol of the original Rebel Alliance in black now fading to gray, Wedge Antilles moved to the front door of his quarters and activated the security panel on the wall beside it. The screen flickered to life and showed a man and a woman standing in the hall outside. Both were young, in their mid-twenties, and despite the fact that they were in the gray jumpsuits and overcoats that constituted one form of anonymous street dress on Corellia, their haircuts-- military short rather than slightly shaggy-- and an indefinable quality about their body language and facial ex-pressions marked them as outsiders.

They shouldn't have been able to reach the front door of Wedge's quarters without him knowing about it. His building was given over to military retirees such as himsef. Some were retired from the New Republic, some from CorSec-- Corellian Security-- some from other Corellian armed forces. There were very basic security measures in place at all the entrances into the housing complex, so if these two were here without having been announced by security, it was because some other resident had let them in.

Wedge shrugged. The complex's security was designed to keep ordinary folk out of their building, not to prevent agents with contacts from getting in.

He glanced over his shoulder. His wife Iella stood in the doorway to their bedroom. She wore a simple white robe, and her hair, normally a wavy, gray-brown cascade, was a touseled mess, including one tuft sticking almost straight up. She had one hand cupped over her mouth as she yawned, and the other held a full-sized blaster pistol at her side. Yawn done, she gave him a questioning look, one eyebrow raised.

He shrugged, then turned back to the door and activated the exterior speakers. "What is it?"

The female visitor, a well-muscled blond woman who looked to be at least as tall as Wedge-- not that this was unusual, as Wedge stood slightly shorter than the average human male-- said, "General Wedge Antilles?"

"He moved," Wedge said. "I think he's over in Zed Block. He left the carpets a mess, too."

It was a test, of course. If the visitors showed confusion or retreated, then they were simply admirers or children of colleagues, people who could stand to contact him through ordinary channels and during daylight hours. If they didn't--

They didn't. The male visitor, a broad-shouldered, dark-haired man who looked as though he'd probably represented his military unit as wrestling champion, merely smiled. The woman continued, "I'm sorry for the late visit, General, but we really need to speak to you."

Wedge flipped on the living-room lights and looked back over his shoulder again. The door was open, but Iella was no longer in sight. She'd be hanging back in the darkness, wearing something far less visible than the white robe, the blaster in hand... just in case.

Wedge flipped another switch on the security panel. Now the door leading into the side hall would be sealed, preventing Wedge and Iella's youngest daughter, Myri, from wandering into the living room if she awoke. An intelligent and stubborn girl, Myri had inherited her mother's inquisitive nature and it would not be beyond her to try to eavesdrop on a late-night conversation if she were aware one was taking place.

Finally Wedge pressed the switch to open the front door. It slid down and out of sight, revealing the two visitors.

The pair straightened, an ordinary at-attention courtesy for a retired general, but they couldn't quite keep the dubious ex-pressions from appearing on their faces. Wedge knew they were looking at a skinny, graying man with knobby knees, a man wearing a sentimental-value undershirt older than either of them. It was a vision that did not match his reputation.

He kept any annoyance out of his voice. "Come in."

"Thank you," the woman said. The two moved inside and Wedge tripped the door just as soon as they cleared the doorway; the door tugged at the man's shirt cloth as it rose into place.

"I apologize for waking you," the woman said. "I'm Captain Barthis with Intelligence Section. This is my associate, Lieutenant Titch."

"Identification?" Wedge asked.

Both reached into inner pockets of their coats. Wedge willed himself not to tense. But their hands emerged with identicards. Wedge held out a hand-- not to take the identification, which by regulation these two would not have yielded in any case, but so that a green scanning light from the security panel would fall across his palm.

Captain Barthis waved her card across his hand and Lieutenant Titch followed suit. Now Wedge's computerized security gear would be processing their card information, comparing it to Corellian datasources and a few databases that Wedge was not officially supposed to be able to access.

He waved the visitors toward the cream-colored stuffed furniture that lined one wall of the room. "Have a seat."

Captain Barthis gave him a little shake of the head. "Actually, we've been sitting for hours, on a shuttle-- "

"Of course." Wedge waited.

"The Galactic Alliance needs your help, General," the woman said.

Wedge offered a faint snort. "Captain, the Galactic Alliance is teeming with officers who were compelled to retire after the war with the Yuuzhan Vong, for the simple reason that a peacetime military doesn't need as many of them. Some of these folks are quite brilliant, and, unlike me, they're anxious to get back into uniform. Me, I'm anxious to sit around in comfortable clothes all day, give my wife all the time my military career wouldn't allow me to give her, and complete my memoirs. You're looking for the wrong man."

"No, sir." Captain Barthis shook her head in vigorous denial. "The GA needs you and your specific help."

The male visitor finally spoke, his voice softer than Wedge would have suspected. "It has to do with the events of nearly thirty years ago when Rogue Squadron did so much work preparing for the taking of Coruscant from Imperial forces."

"I see. And it's something that requires my presence instead of a simple holocomm call."

"Yes, sir," Captain Barthis said.

"And if you're here in the middle of the night, it's because you need me in the middle of the night."

The captain nodded, the ex-pression on her face regretful.

Wedge flipped a switch on the door-side panel and the entryway opened again. "Wait for me in the lobby. I'll be down directly."

Now, finally, the two of them glanced at each other. Barthis said, "We'd prefer to remain here, sir."

Wedge gave her a frosty little smile. "And will you be making a holocam recording of my good-byes with my family? Or perhaps you'd prefer to hug my daughter for me."

Barthis cleared her throat, thought the better of it, and moved out into the hall. Titch followed. Wedge shut the door behind them.

Iella moved into the bedroom doorway again. She was now wearing a green-black rain drape. She looked annoyed. "What do they need that they couldn't have asked you decades ago?"

Wedge shrugged. "'Retired' is such an imprecise word.... Did they check out?"

Iella nodded. "They're the genuine article. In fact, I worked for a year with Barthis's father. The family is Corellian." She moved up to put her arms around Wedge's neck. "Sometimes I wish you hadn't been as influential as you were in your job, so that they'd stop coming for you anytime the military discovers it's forgotten how to coordinate an X-wing engagement."

Wedge wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her to him. "And who was it they came for last time? An hour before dawn, sweeping the hallway for listening devices before they even rang the chimes?"

"Well, me." Iella had spent her professional career as a security officer, first for CorSec and then for New Republic Intelligence, and the demands on her post-retirement time matched the demands on her husband's.

Wedge kissed her. "Wake Myri up so I can say good-bye. I'll grab my go-bag and get dressed."

She reached past him to unlock the hallway, then turned toward that door. Not looking back, she said, "I don't like Titch."

"Yeah." It was a bit of verbal shorthand. She didn't mean she didn't like the man; she didn't know him. But Titch was the sort of intelligence officer brought along to ensure security-- to ensure that the person being transported didn't cause trouble. It led to the question, was Titch actually Barthis's regular partner, or had he been brought in because someone anticipated Wedge's causing trouble?

*Excerpt 2:

The context is a discussion between Han and Leia, regarding Jaina:

"Well, if she likes taller men, it's probably a preference she picked up from her upbringing."

"Oh?" Han considered. "You think she's more comfortable with taller men because of me?"

"No, because of Chewbacca."

*Excerpt 3:

Ben brought out his lightsaber and switched it on. With a snap-hiss sound, its blue blade of coherent energy extended to full length. Ben plunged the blade into the wall panel and began to drag it around in a large circle.

Testan, his voice pained, said, "He said it was a practice weapon."

Jacen gave him an innocent look. "It's true from a certain point of view. He does practice with it."

Legacy of the Force 2: Bloodlines

By Karen Traviss
Release date: 8/29/06
Cover artist: Jason Felix
Format: Paperback

A new era of exciting adventures and shocking revelations continues to unfold as the legendary Star Wars saga sweeps forward into astonishing new territory with the nine-book series, Legacy of the Force. Here's an early look at book two, Bloodlines by Karen Traviss.

Civil war looms as the fledgling Galactic Alliance confronts a growing number of worlds set on rebellion -- and the approaching war is tearing the Skywalker and Solo families apart. Han's Corellian roots and Luke's dedication to the Jedi order are driving a wedge between the families. Han and Leia's children, Jacen and Jaina, are soldiers in the Galactic Alliance's campaign to crush the insurgents. Luke and Mara are unable to protect their son Ben from war. The quest of an assassin draws out a dreaded name from the past: Boba Fett. And in the new galactic order, friends and enemies are no longer what they seem...

and

As civil war continues to break out in the Galactic Alliance, terrorism begins to drive the Alliance towards ever more repressive laws. Families find themselves divided, and old friendships are torn apart. But the bitterest enemy can be your own flesh and blood - and your foe can turn out to be your only ally. Old enemies Han Solo and Boba Fett are drawn together as they both learn some harsh truths about their own kin, while Luke and Mara Skywalker fear for their only son, Ben, when his Jedi Master, Jacen Solo, makes a dangerous choice that shocks both families and the galaxy at large.

*Karen Traviss said she enjoyed two characters getting together; not necessarily romantically, but she would not say who (Knowing Karen as we do, we can assume she means Han and Fett).

*Karen had the following comments to say about Bloodlines:
-"When I was writing Bloodlines, I was looking at families and what they expect of us, and what we expect from them. And what defines family."
-She also said that Han and Fett are still able to kick ass, the difference is, "they feel it the next day."
-The title Bloodlines refers to the family lines of every point of view character in the novel.

*Bloodlines will have a father/son Mandalorian team in a small role.

Legacy of the Force 3: Tempest

By Troy Denning
Release date: 11/28/06
Cover artist:

As the stand-off between the Galactic Alliance and its rebellious member states erupts into full-blown battle, the new Corellian leadership develops a desperate plan to draw the Hapan Consortium into the war on their side. But, the plot poses a moral quandry for Han and Leia Solo, who cannot abide deliberately spreading the war any more than they can the murder of the Hapan Queen Mother, ex-Jedi Knight Tenel Ka. Taking it upon themselves to save her life - and that of her young daughter, Allana - the Solos set in motion a firestorm of confusion and mayhem that will pit children against parents, bring Luke Skywalker into battle with his foremost nemesis, and leave them at the mercy of one of the Jedi's oldest and most deadly enemies.

Legacy of the Force 4:

By Aaron Allston
Release date: 3/06/07
Cover artist:

Legacy of the Force 5:

By Karen Traviss
Release date: 6/05/07
Cover artist:

Legacy of the Force 6:

By Troy Denning
Release date: 9/04/07
Cover artist:

Legacy of the Force 7:

By Aaron Allston
Release date: 11/06/07
Cover artist:

Legacy of the Force 8:

By Karen Traviss
Release date: 3/04/08
Cover artist:

Legacy of the Force 9:

By Troy Denning
Release date: 6/03/08
Cover artist:

The series in general

*Something so major and incendiary will occur during the Legacy of the Force series that we cannot even mention what it is.
(From Del Rey's sell sheet)

*Some quotes regarding the arc: "Back in November when we had a big story conference putting this series together, we did have a catchphrase that should define how you should be thinking about these aging characters: 60 is the new 40." Allston.
-"They're remaining hale and healthy, and active up until much later ages, as our culture is with increasing and improving medical technology. So don't think of them as septuagenarian doddering, weak people. They're active fighting 60 and 70-year olds and looking good." - Allston
-"In the Galactic Alliance, Social Security doesn't start until 120" - Denning.
-Rostoni added this era would first only be explored in books, but she didn't rule out the possibility of comics exploring this new horizon. She noted that it has no specific "end point." It currently extends for a hundred years.

*As the series progresses, it will occur more or less over "real-time" like the NJO did; that is, it will be set over three years, and each book will pick up approximately two-three months after the last (or however long is between the book' release dates).

*From Sue Rostini, regarding the arc: "Expect to see -- Star Wars. We very much want to go back to the pulp Space Opera feel of the original movies (as opposed to hard SciFi). The focus will be character-driven situations, set against a backdrop of perhaps not galactic proportions, but certainly providing opportunities for spectacular space battles and lots of lightsaber action. Expect to see the major characters (Skywalkers and Solos) and many of the minor characters (Jedi Knights), and some old favorites. And, hopefully, a lot of surprises."

*The Chiss will not feature in Legacy (they may still appear however); Tenel Ka and the Hapans will definitely be in the arc.

*Corran Horn and Booster Terrik will put in appearances.

*Although the Big Three (and Mara!) will be approaching their 60s (in Han's case, 70s) they will still be active, with Luke and Mara seeing much action.

*Force Ghosts of known characters will most likely appear; one of them will possibly be an Anakin; which one is anyone's guess.

*The "mystery of Vergere" will be resolved.

*Legacy won't pull an NJO and open with a major character death, but the remainder of the series may see some characters (major, recurring and minor) die.

*A Yuuzhan Vong may be a main character in the series, but this is not set in stone yet.

*Hobbie and Tycho will put in appearances, as will Saba, Tesar and many other favourites.

*Ben will most likely not have any siblings.

*Both Yoda's species and the Whills still appear to be off limits.

*The arc is a "full circle" story and may even bring elements from earlier in the timeline full circle. And looking at the references they made to Padme and certain Force ghosts, and a lot of other surprises they have in store, I don't doubt them.

*Lady Lumiya will have a major role in the Legacy of the Force arc.

*It is still undecided as to whether or not the Imperial Remnant will play a part in the series (but since Pellaeon is in Betrayal at least, they must be on the periphery).

*Admiral Bwua'tu will appear in Legacy of the Force (in one or more of Denning's novels).

*The origins of Lomi Plo and Welk will be explored in Legacy.

feitonglong

Post by feitonglong » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:30 am

Lady Lumiya Lady Lumiya Lady Lumiya Lady Lumiya Lady Lumiya... :shock:

freefly

Post by freefly » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Yep looking forward to Lumiya's (long awaited) return, maybe (and hopefully) with a group of rogue Yuuzhan Vong.
Release the Good!

Jar

Post by Jar » Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Return to “The Novels”