Rebel Assault 2 - old game

Moderators: adamteo, Paul K

renzaijh

Rebel Assault 2 - old game

Post by renzaijh » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:14 am

Anyone remember Rebel Assault 2? Made in the 1990s. Like Wing Commander III, the game employs live-actors for cut-scenes. Gameplay was a mix of flight simulation and simple first/third person shooting. It was a gem for the cut scenes alone because:

1) We see Vader again for the first time since ROTJ:

2) We see a female stormtrooper (she's a Rebel In Disguise, haha):

3) We also get to see a female Rebel Commando and an X-Wing pilot donning the Rebel Commando's 'doughnut' helmet:

and last but not the least...

4) Dancing Stormtroopers in a hidden video (unlocked via a keyboard combo during gameplay):

Now where the blazes did I keep my CD...

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:37 am

Yes, I remember playing the game ... Rebel Assault is the first multimedia game (with cut-screens) released in CD-ROM by LucasArt.

During that early-90s era, most games are still in 1.44Mb diskettes, so a game with a magnitude of 640MB is a single CD-ROM is totally unheard of. I even bough the Game Guide for Rebel Assault, and the producers of the game were very excited about the how much new multimedia stuff can be stored in the CD-ROM. :roll:

Nowadays, new PC games are released in DVD format of 4.7Gb, and all PS2/Xbox games are in DVDs capacity. The new PS3 will be releasing in BlueRay disc of over 30Gb, I think.
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Return to “The Games”