Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Star Wars : Empires at war

Post by e3lipse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:47 pm

LucasArts latest Star Wars PC Game:

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempire ... y.Trailers

Star Wars: Empire at War Preview
The most promising Star Wars RTS yet.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 941971.jpg

April 21, 2005 - With all the sequelitis and licensed games that get priority these days, it's easy to pigeonhole another Star Wars RTS as milking the cash cow. It's also easy to underestimate a Star Wars RTS, as previous strategy games with this license haven't really broken through to wide acclaim. But you can tell right from the start that Empire at War is intended to be a guns-blazing entry into the genre, with Petroglyph as the developer (consisting of about 24 ex-Westwood employees), and Brett Tosti in the producer's chair, a man who's had over a decade of Star Wars experience, including all the Jedi Knight games, save for Shadows of the Empire. In theory, when you combine a dev team with a deep and celebrated catalog and match them with someone who has a long and successful license history of his own, you have to go out of your way to make something that sucks. But it looks like Empire at War is shaping to be at the other end of the spectrum. It has all the hallmarks of a memorable RTS experience.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 328935.jpg

Perhaps the most telling thing, during the extensive presentation at their offices yesterday in San Rafael, was what didn't happen. Although this title isn't scheduled to be released until the fall, it was probably the most rock-solid build I'd seen at this stage. Not once did it crash, lock up, slow down to a crawl, or reveal graphical or audio glitches. And as we moved around through very different aspects of the game, it remained smooth and gorgeous.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 944659.jpg

Empire at War begins with the classic text scroll rolling up the screen, explaining the current situation. EaW begins just before the events in Episode IV: A New Hope, when the Rebels are struggling to establish a foothold against the Empire. They aren't having a good time of it, but word filters down of an experimental aircraft known as the X-Wing, and the Rebels take it upon themselves to steal several of them so that they can turn the tide in their favor. And as per usual, you get the famed John Williams score and trademark sound effects throughout the experience.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 005392.jpg

So as you can guess, Empire contains both space- and land-based combat. The top level of the strategic game is Galactic Mode. We didn't get to see it in action, since it's still in development, but Tosti was free to talk about it. It's basically a Battle for Middle-earth-style overhead map of the galaxy, and you can pick and choose your battles in a non-linear fashion. Also, the missions have a branching style, where choosing one may prevent you from being able to do another, which would invite replayability.

Once you choose which planet you want to acquire, you'll enter the space combat mode, where you'll have to defeat whatever orbiting fleet is defending the surface from invasion. If you're the one defending, you don't necessarily have to wipe out every invader or force a retreat--you can make a kamikaze run for their lightly armed and armored transport vessels that are shuttling all the ground troops. No ground troops, no ground invasion.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 946721.jpg

Space combat is not entirely 3D, like in Homeworld. Instead, there are several horizontal planes. Within this, you have your dogfighters, capital ships, bomber planes, cruisers, and whatnot. The cap ships will typically have their ships up, forcing you to get up close with torpedoes (since the shields block energy-based weapons but not projecticles). There will also be space stations with their own potentially beefy defenses. Although the cap ships have shields and a ton of armor, you can target hardpoints to disable the engine or specific weapons. As far as formations, Petroglyph is still working on this system, although it sounds like they're gravitating toward an auto-generated formation depending on the unit mixture, instead of choosing from a list of choices.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 605499.jpg

Once you've defeated the ground forces, you will own that planet, and that's how you get your resources--no peons gathering gold from mines and lumber from forests. You may also get a bonus like being able to build a certain vessel at twice the normal rate. In the end, there's a tangible benefit to each conquest that can offset the losses incurred during the invasion.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 604952.jpg

The game looks awesome right off the bat, too, with dozens of highly detailed units of wildly varying size duking it out to classic Star Wars music. Lighting, explosions, and heat shimmers are already in, and the team is looking at implementing several different types of cameras in addition to the standard isometric perspective. We were shown one tracking camera that would get right behind a unit or formation and follow it as it raised hell, with explosions and missiles going off left and right. It's really pretty neat and ought to make for some sexy screenshots.

If the invader defeats the orbiting defenses (which can also be supported by planetary ion cannons--the reverse of an airstrike), he'll enter the ground game, where the defender should already have a base set up. The base will typically be fortified with walls and upgradeable turrets. The land game is quite pretty as well, with vegetation swaying in the breeze and cloud shadows drifting across the ground. There will also be weather effects like snow and rain, and not just for cosmetic purposes. They will have an effect on combat and mobility--and units will already gain bonuses or disadvantages based on terrain and line of sight.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 609405.jpg

Tosti couldn't put a specific number on how many units we'll see between the two factions, but he estimated that about 30% of them will be completely new additions to the Star Wars universe. He also stated that veterancy (unit skills improving based on experience) isn't set in stone yet, although you'll have hero characters who give advantages to whatever group they're attached to. And that goes for space combat as well--put Darth Vader in a Star Destroyer, and that particular vessel will dish out and take more damage.

Speaking of damage, it doesn't sound like there will be a medic unit. Instead, you can build a bacta tank in your base, and units within a certain proximity will get their health back in the space of a few seconds. When asked if their will be a mechanic unit, Tosti just smiled and said, "Anything is possible."

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 944690.jpg

On the bright side, this will cut down on interminable battles, as a player keeps taking back a battered wave of units behind the front line to heal them back to full health. It will make base capture a bit tougher, though. You can also put an energy shield over the whole base, although the shield generator will be placed outside the shield. It occurred to me that a player could create a half-circle of shields on the edge of the screen and place the last generator in the middle, out of reach, but it sounds like that strategy will only be a minor irritation, with all the projectile weapons that will be available.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 945783.jpg

Although multiplayer isn't yet at the stage where they can present a list of guaranteed bullet points, Tosti did talk about a skirmish mode with extensive setup conditions, like starting money, starting tech, and a list of heroes to choose from. He also said the multiplayer matches can have save slots, so you won't have to plow through one match in one fell swoop. Tosti also pointed out that they've changed the dynamic when more than two players are present, so that one person can't just sit back, watch the other two bash each other bloody, then dive in for the killing blow. He said that active players will receive benefits while fighting their foes, although he didn't go into detail.

From bobafett81 in SgC
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

GenXstealth

Post by GenXstealth » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:29 pm

Ha.... have to wait till feb 06 to buy it. Ha Ha.

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:30 pm

I'll probably get it after I save up enough money after splurging on KOTOR 2. Nice-looking visuals though.

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Post by e3lipse » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:36 pm

i think ill wait for the $5-10 copies to appear :D as well as battlefront 2
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:27 pm

RTS? I'm in! (will take the original as soon as it comes out - need all the instructions available and cheats too - too lousy a game player I am)
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Count Dooku

Post by Count Dooku » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:31 pm

This game looks great! I too am a lousy player Gandalf Fett. Let's hear it all for cheat codes :twisted:
As you can see, my Jedi powers are far beyond yours. Now, back down.

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:24 am

YEAH HIP HIP HOORAY for cheat codes!!!! They make game play fun and exciting!!!!

Count Dooku

Post by Count Dooku » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:02 am

Yeah, for the players and not the A.I. :twisted:

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Well, I at least hope that the A.I. is a little more intelligent than some of the other RTS that I've played (unsuccessfully of course - unless I got the cheat codes). Looking at the shots at the moment, I can't wait!!! Much much more impressive than the previous RTS for SW.

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:36 pm

SO?? Anyone got this game yet??

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Currently broke. bought kotor 2. rocks, baby.

Lord Yoda

Post by Lord Yoda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:43 pm

I got the game...the story campaign and the galactic conquest campaign gameplay is like SLG more than RTS. Similar to Total War, conquering planets instead of land. The skirmish game is like other RTS games.

I'm still at the Impiral Mission. Enjoy using Vader in the land battle. Constructing a Death Star soon... :twisted:

The best part in the game was the space battle, with all those familiar starships like, Star Destroyer, X-Wing, TIE fighter, Millennium Falcon, Slave 1... :shock: With the cinematic camera, you are like in the movies... :D

May the Force be with Me...

Count Dooku

Post by Count Dooku » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 am

I just picked it up today and so far, it has been a very enjoyable game. Am looking forward to building a Death Star and destroying the rebels :twisted:

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:31 am

So compared to the earlier crappy RTS for Star Wars, this is what? Great? Excellent? How about compared to Star / War Craft? Better? Worst or no basis for comparison? I'm still of 2 minds cause I'm not even sure if my PC has the appropriate configuration to play.... HELP ME DECIDE!!!

Lord Yoda

Post by Lord Yoda » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm

You can find some good comment at the GameFAQs message board.

I find it better than Galactic Battleground. Really enjoy the game.
I completed the story campaign, both as Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance. Enjoy the space battle more than the land one. Now playing the galactic conquest campaign. Wanted to use those heros which did not appear in the story campaign.

May the Force be with Me...

Return to “The Games”