Lego starwars game launched

Moderators: adamteo, Paul K

donleow

Lego starwars game launched

Post by donleow » Tue May 10, 2005 6:02 pm

My review after the game

First of all, this game is definitely design for adult which have alot of mind cracking puzzles to solve. You'll will get a glimpse of how Revenge of the Sith turns out before the film hits singapore cinemas. There are plenty of "spoilers" in the game, although this isn't the strictest retelling and regularly humors are injected into what were supposedly pretty serious situations. Still, it is puzzling to me that this official product, reveals so much about the final days of Anakin Skywalker ahead of the release.

ImageImage

Each episode is broken up into multiple chapters that the gamer will encounter and upon completion they will be part of your travelling buddy to continue to ur saga quest, each re-creating memorable sequences from the films with injected humor of course. The game is largely an action adventure game if you ask me, You'll only have control over a single character at a time, but you'll usually have at least one computer-controlled companion with you, and at times that number can grow to a healthy half-dozen. Making this even more interesting is the fact that you can switch between any characters in your party on the fly in the form of teleporting.

ImageImage

The game really capitalizes on this by giving different characters different abilities so you need each of the characters to complete your game e.g. R2D2 to open some of the electronic lock to various compartment . Jedi characters come equipped with lightsabers and the ability to "Force move" various objects; Astromech droids (the R2D2 trash-can-style droids) can hover for short distances and can also be used to unlock certain doors; and characters like Padme Amidala are armed solely with a blaster and don't have the Jedi double-jump, but they can use grappling hooks to pull their way up to otherwise unreachable areas.

ImageImage

The game capitalizes on these unique characteristics by riddling every level with a ton of puzzles that can only be solved by a specific character in your party or by several characters working together. It's not all puzzle-solving, though. There are several big boss fights with the likes of Darth Maul, Jango Fett, and Count Dooku in Lego Star Wars. There's plenty of straight-up combat, too, with the high point being the massive Jedi arena battle on Geonosis.
Like the puzzles, the combat is pretty simple and straightforward. The game isn't afraid to break away from the third-person action adventure altogether, such as in the pod race from Episode I, or a sequence where you pilot an attack ship on Geonosis at the start of the Clone War.

The game is extremely forgiving in general, dealing out virtually no punishment for failure. There is basically no way that you can "lose" Lego Star Wars. Also, the single-player game isn't particularly long--if you keep your eye on the prize, you can run through all three episodes in just a few hours. But as you play, you'll gain access to other characters with which you can go back into levels you've already completed. Since different characters can have markedly different abilities, you'll find that there are areas in each level that you simply could not reach with the original characters. So, despite the game's relative brevity, it definitely encourages multiple plays. The game also has two-player co-op support, where a second player can jump in (or, alternately, drop out) at any point. For this, i find it a pain cos when encountering the flying or ridding part, the two players cannot travel separately but must stick to the same path which applies to the characters as well which was a disappointment to me interm of movement freedom in the game itself. The game actually feels like it was designed for co-op play, and the experience definitely benefits from having another warm body around.

The actual gameplay is generally enjoyable, if a bit easy. But what really gives Lego Star Wars its appeal is the way it's all presented--that is, with Legos. The game fudges a little bit on some of the actual level geometry, but the majority of it appears as though it was constructed out of those little Danish building blocks. All of the characters, even the various aliens, look like Lego people, and when an enemy or an object is destroyed, it will crumble into its component pieces. There are a few set pieces where the game looks downright impressive, but for the most part it keeps things on a relatively small scale. It generally isn't overzealous with lighting and particle effects, so the game therefore has a somewhat plain, but clean look. The differences between the PC and PlayStation 2 versions are purely aesthetic and relatively minor. The PC version simply looks a lot nicer, thanks to bump-mapping and some reflection effects. The PC version also benefits from running at a higher resolution.

If you want to go into Revenge of the Sith spoiler-free, wait until you've seen the movie to pick up Lego Star Wars.
Despite the game's unusual look, if you were to close your eyes, there would be no mistaking this as a Star Wars game. The sound plays as big a part in establishing the tone in Lego Star Wars as the graphics. With no voice acting to muddle up the affairs, blaster and lightsaber effects are allowed to really take the stage, accompanied nicely by all of the classic John Williams music that has become inexorably linked to Star Wars.

This is probably one of the better kids or should correct it as kids' games for adult to hit the market in a while, and that it's clever and charming enough to appeal to adults is a testament to that fact. The novelty of watching a little Lego person version of Obi-Wan Kenobi duel it out with Darth Maul certainly accounts for a large portion of the game's appeal, but on its own merits it's a fairly fun, inventive little game. Last is definitely a good game to lure your galfriend and wife in to get them to start accepting that starwars can be so "Kawaii" ( cute in japanese)

Features of the game:
Play the most memorable and exciting scenes from Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Episode II Attack of the Clones and the forthcoming Episode III Revenge of the Sith

1.Choose from over 30 of your favorite Star Wars characters, ranging from the legendary Jedi Knight, Obi-wan Kenobi, to everyone’s favorite Wookiee, Chewbacca, to the evil villains of Revenge of the Sith. Every character has unique weapons and abilities--which provides for a different gameplay experience every time

2.Use ‘The Force’ to manipulate environments and objects in order to solve puzzles

3.Massive array of vehicles including Naboo fighters, pod racers, speeder bikes, and yet-to-be-unveiled vehicles from Episode III Revenge of the Sith

4.Two-player ‘drop in, drop out’ mode

5.Free-play mode where unlocked characters can be played in different scenarios to the films

6.Goodies that can be used to unlock a world full of secrets, cheats and bonuses

7.Authentic sounds from the films provided by Skywalker Studio

8.Created by highly successful young gamers developer Travellers Tales

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Thu May 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Hey Don,

THAT was one amazing review ! Phew ..... I don't play computer games, but I really appreciate this review of yours ! Great stuff ! :D

BobaFett

Post by BobaFett » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:19 am

Time for me to grab a copy for my PS2. Kids coming to my place will love this game. :P

Adams

Post by Adams » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Excellent review about game, i am quite impressed from your way of expressing the review. Information you provide is really useful for me.I would like to say you bundle of thanks.

Return to “The Games”