Lightsaber Battles

Moderators: erase, donleow

jedi kai

Lightsaber Battles

Post by jedi kai » Tue May 10, 2005 11:30 pm

We've seen how acrobatic Obiwan and Anakin can be in Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

Yet in A New Hope, both were locked in battle poses and very much like fencing strokes in the Death Star. Any explanation? Age is not counted hor... look at how old Yoda was in Attack, yet he can bounce around, would suggest Jedi's have superior stamina and vigor over mere mortals.

My take is Vader's body is mostly mechanical, and hence, can't move as much as when he did as Anakin. Also, what we couldn't see, both Vader and Obiwan were locked in a battle on the force level and both were equally strong in the force that negated any advantage one might have over the other.

:mrgreen:

sanjaystones

Post by sanjaystones » Tue May 10, 2005 11:34 pm

I remember George Lucas explained that when Obi-Wan and Vader meet in ANH, you are seeing 2 old men fight. And those 2 old men have not been using their lightsabers much for the past 20 or so years.

In Yoda's case, I don't know the definition of "old" for his species when you can live up to 800 years old!!!
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

hbng
Site Admin

Re: Lightsaber Battles

Post by hbng » Tue May 10, 2005 11:38 pm

jedi kai wrote:We've seen how acrobatic Obiwan and Anakin can be in Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

My take is Vader's body is mostly mechanical, and hence, can't move as much as when he did as Anakin. ..........

If I had to carry around that much machinery DV got to lug around, I probably would move like an 80 year old. :lol:

jedi kai

Post by jedi kai » Tue May 10, 2005 11:46 pm

sanjaystones wrote:I remember George Lucas explained that when Obi-Wan and Vader meet in ANH, you are seeing 2 old men fight. And those 2 old men have not been using their lightsabers much for the past 20 or so years.

In Yoda's case, I don't know the definition of "old" for his species when you can live up to 800 years old!!!
Events of A New Hope only came 20 years after Revenge. Due to Yoda's species living so long, I'd reckon he's already pretty old in Revenge.

At their age, all the more their skills in the force would have been honed to a razor's edge. Perhaps that's why they just stood where they were trying to edge each other off using the force instead?

jedi kai

Re: Lightsaber Battles

Post by jedi kai » Tue May 10, 2005 11:48 pm

hbng wrote:
If I had to carry around that much machinery DV got to lug around, I probably would move like an 80 year old. :lol:
DV would have used the force to move around in his suit better right? All those years using the force to move his armour would have made his skills and control of the force that much stronger.

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Wed May 11, 2005 1:32 pm

hmmm... not too sure if he used THE Force to move his armour.... but he probably had to use quite a great deal of force to move it :lol:

jedi kai

Post by jedi kai » Sat May 14, 2005 12:05 pm

That would explain all the heavy breathing from DV :lol:

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Thu May 19, 2005 1:12 am

Obi-wan is around 50 years old... and But Vader he is around his early 40s

Darth Avenrair

Post by Darth Avenrair » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:08 pm

You should watch the Bonus Material of the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset... there Mr Lucas did a ok job explaining the reason behind not so energetic duel sequences...

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:05 pm

It mus be remembered dat ep 4 and 3 are literally light yrs away from each other(EP4 being first and EP3 last). So what i deduced is that the director did not have it so intense in EP4 due to tchnological constraints whereas in ep3, we hav so many new techniques and technology. Also, in EP 5 while Vader was facing off with Luke, he was way more nimble and quick than in 4, representing possibly another technical jump!!! Anyway, technology makes a big difference.
"Join me, and together we shall rule the galaxy as one!"

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:37 pm

While Darth struggles hard on his machine not to fight like a heavy robot, Obi was struggling to fight like the way he was in clone wars.
SInce these two guys skill so rusty...and there u go...hahha!

freefly

Post by freefly » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:02 pm

the duel scence in ANH can also work out as Vader just toying with Kenobi, in essense not an all out effort to kill (therefore not so energetic). And when Vader did deliver the death blow, there was absolutely no resistence at all, requiring of him nothing more than a swipe of the blade.
Release the Good!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 pm

The movie explaination: Vader and Old Ben were duelling on a totally different level using the Force

The real life explaination: GL was on a shoe string budget and didn't have any money to hire fight scene coordinators. Plus they had to add on the saber effect on FILM CELLS later BY HAND so they can have quick moving action.

BTW unlike prostetics limbs of today, Vader's appendages are bio-mechanical and he can move around even easier then anyone with real hands and legs. His apendages also gives him great physical strength.

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Vader: Loses agility, loses part of his strength, weakened mental will, the force is somehow lesser with him now than in the prequels.

Obi-wan: Old, aging, lack training...didn't u notice his lightsaber is pretty bad condition...rusty or something...needs polishing...

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Commander Faie wrote:Obi-wan: Old, aging, lack training...didn't u notice his lightsaber is pretty bad condition...rusty or something...needs polishing...
20 years in Tatooine without access to brasso and chrome polishing compound can do that to your lightsaber...

BTW it's called 'weathered', a sure sign that a lightsaber has been used and not just for show :lol:

Return to “Star Wars Episode 4 : A New Hope”