TB 7576 & TK 9809 Joins The Pasadena Rose Parade

Information & Events of the Bad Guys who do Good

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

chakster

TB 7576 & TK 9809 Joins The Pasadena Rose Parade

Post by chakster » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:19 am

GetzJedi wrote: On Jan. 1, nearly 1 million people along Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, Calif., and an additional 30 million people watching at home will see one of the most spectacular Star Wars events ever – and Singapore residents Aw Tong Wee & Shawn Kelvin Chak will be among them.

It’s the “Star Wars Spectacular� in the 118th Tournament of Roses Parade, which also features Star Wars creator George Lucas as Grand Marshal. Produced by Lucasfilm Ltd., the Star Wars Spectacular will welcome the World-Famed Grambling State University Marching Tigers band and feature two remarkable floats representing planets seen in the Star Wars saga. Most importantly, it will showcase 200 members of the 501st Legion, a one-of-a-kind, global organization composed of Star Wars fans that includes Singapore’s representatives.

“The members of the 501st are some of the most amazing Star Wars fans in the world,� said Tom Warner, senior director of marketing at San Francisco-based Lucasfilm Ltd. “They show their dedication by making their own replica costumes, and when George Lucas saw them first-hand around the world during the international premieres of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, he wanted to do something special to honor the extraordinary work they do for charities and their communities.�

Early in 2006, Lucasfilm proposed the idea of the Star Wars Spectacular – a celebration filled with floats, costumed characters, Star Wars music and marching stormtroopers from 22 countries and 36 U.S. states – to the Tournament of Roses Parade committee, which responded enthusiastically.

“At that point, we knew we had a formidable task to identify 200 members of the 501st who could do the grueling work of marching five and a half miles in full stormtrooper armor without a break,� Warner said.

Lucasfilm’s Fan Relations department, headed by Steve Sansweet, put out a request for audition tapes from members who wanted to be considered. In all, more than 700 of the 3,300 members around the world submitted videos.

After carefully reviewing each entry, the 200 finalists were selected, including Aw & Chak of Singapore.

“It was no easy feat to be chosen,� Sansweet said. “We had very high standards for the costumes, the physical fitness of the members and the dedication that would be involved – each member will arrive in Southern California five days before the parade for a full series of rehearsals with the band and a drill master who is a Colonel in the U.S. Army Infantry Reserves. We want to create an experience that neither viewers nor the 501st members will ever forget.�

The 118th Tournament of Roses Parade will be broadcast live beginning at 8 a.m. Pacific time Monday, Jan. 1, 2007, on ABC, NBC, HGTV and on participating local channels (check your local listings). - LFL
Hey Guys,

Aw and I are at my place now just about to leave for the airport. :D

We're answering the summons of the Empire to Pasadena. Representing!!!

Onward to the Rose Parade!

Catch us on cable! we'll be the 2 short guys...Just look for the dip in the rank and file. :)
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:05 am

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

ROSE PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!

WHEEEEEEEEEE
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Shawn and Chak have landed safely in LA for the Rose Parade. The following photo was taken by Roy from Taiwan and there's Aw Wee and Shawn. George Lucas later paid a surprise vist to the 200+ troopers at dinner last night.

Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Paul K wrote:Shawn and Chak have landed safely in LA for the Rose Parade. The following photo was taken by Roy from Taiwan and there's Aw Wee and Shawn. George Lucas later paid a surprise vist to the 200+ troopers at dinner last night.
Thanks for the update Paul and for sharing the pic taken by Roy. Apart from Roy, Shawn and Aw, I do recognize the 501st trooper to the left of Aw, who could be SL 585 by his signature looks.

FYI, the selected representative from the
501st MALAYSIA-BRUNEI OUTPOST for the 2007 Rose Parade March is :TK 8829

(who is also a www.starwars.sg forum member, arek, though not an active one :P)

who will be marching in the
Rose Parade Event together with Aw, Shawn, Roy and the rest of the selected 501st Legion members. :D
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:37 am

I think Shawn and Aw's participation in the Rose Parade deserves to be a feature story for the homepage of starwars.sg.

fangirl2

Post by fangirl2 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 pm

I second renzaijh's suggestion.
@}--,-----

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:45 am

DONE. When our troopers get back, I'll meet up with them and write up a story.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:40 am

All photos are taken by our brother Roy from Chineses Star Wars, who is in the parade, representing Taiwan.

Day One Drill Training

Shawn in the foreground holding up his Biker Scout helmet.

Aw Wee, doing the same.

Drill instructors getting ready to take the 200+ plus troopers through Marching Boot Camp.

You don't want to mess with this Drill Instructor.

Getting the various troops into their respective sections.

Helmets on.

The Singapore Flag is somewhere in there. Look out for it when the Rose parade telecast is on.

That's it for now.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:24 am

Day Two

Colour Guard section. This section carries the various State and Country flags.

You know who with Roy from Taiwan.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:49 pm

8) Majulah Singapura, Majulah Singapura 8)

redwitch

Post by redwitch » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:44 pm

GetzJedi wrote:We've been STOMPED... 8)

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost1117.aspx

Wow, awesome, what a promising start to the new year! Can't wait to hear more from the guys!
i purr, therefore i am.

Jedi_slayer

Post by Jedi_slayer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:15 am

Awwee, Shawn,
You made Singapore proud. The 2.5 years spend in SAF not wasted. Got dekan by drill master or not? :)
Star wars is a used Universe!

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:32 am

The 501stSG group photo at Sentosa appears in today's Straits Times (HOME section) with a short write-up.

:D

Post by 9 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 am

Yup saw that this morning...hehe

Congrats to the awee and chaky!
=)

Waiting to hear their stories when they are back!

Return to “The 501st Legion”