With His Own Eyes

OK, all you budding writers out there.... have you written a short story or novel based in the Star Wars Universe ? Share your fanfic with us !

Moderators: donleow, danchia

Darsha Assant

With His Own Eyes

Post by Darsha Assant » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Ok... shall start the ball rolling. This is a 2-parter fic I wrote some time ago.

++++++

Title: With His Own Eyes

Author: Darsha Assant

Time frame: Pre-TPM

Genre: Random

Disclaimer: Star Wars is all yours, Mr Lucas.

++++++

The temple was never silent. Even in the wee hours of morning, there was sure to be someone about. There were quite a number of nocturnal Jedi in the Order.

Temple initiate Qui-Gon bit his lip distractedly and stared at the forbidding grand entrance of the Jedi Temple. He was hiding in the shadow of one of those golden statues that lined the veranda, hoping with all his little heart that he would not get found out. If he did, the consequences would be too vast to imagine. But he had to know. He had to see it for himself.

All of them said he would see it for himself when the time came. As if it was some kind of rite of passage. It was not – one could not be denied it. It was a right, like the right to breathe.

And so he had snuck out of bed, utilizing the force to muffle the sounds he made as they had been taught to the previous day. He glanced up at the towering statue that loomed over him, then back at the doors. True, they were open, as they always were, and many beings of different shapes, sizes, and social stature went past. There were a couple of people in flowery shirts that proclaimed them to be – what was that word again? – twerrists. Yes, twerrists. People that came out of curiosity to see the Temple. They were never allowed past the veranda, though. Probably because their flowery shirts would give the girls funny ideas and the Masters would have a bunch of flower-wearing girls on their hands, and several ravaged flower bushes in the Room of a Thousand Fountains.

Qui-Gon sighed, and huddled against the back of the statue. The Jedi Master on guard duty would have to have not a single midichlorian in his blood, not a single rod or cone in his eyes, and a speed comparable to that of a snail in order for him to get past. Which was highly unlikely, if that person ever managed to pass his, her, or its Trials.

He risked a peek over the corner of the statue’s pedestal, and groaned inwardly. The Jedi on duty was just a Knight, but Temple rumour had it that he was going to attain the rank of Master soon, with him having Yoda’s eye on him. Yoda’s good eye that looked on you when you were good, not the one that stared at you when you were bad.

Knight Dooku. With his famous polished urban manner that Master Jocasta Nu had called charming, and his crèche mate Adi had called: “Cool!�.With his well known prowess with the lightsaber that many Jedi Masters with twice his experience could not match. With his connection to the force, so deep that only Yoda’s probably went deeper.

Knight Dooku.

Qui-Gon turned back and stared glumly at the corridor that led to the dormitories. There was no chance of it. Not ever.

But still…he remembered..

A sunlit (artificially) room, the gentle whisper of an old, gnarled green goblin…
If even hope you do not, then a hope you do not have.

Qui-Gon didn’t really understand it, but he knew it was something about not giving up, ever.

Small face grim with determination, chubby cheeks flushed with anticipation, he carefully drew in the force.

It wasn’t there.

Qui-Gon moaned. Not now! Not when he was so close to seeing it! Well, he just had to rely on luck now, and base skill.

He silently tiptoed past the rowdy twerrists, and darted into the shadow behind the massive door. Now, all he needed to do was to crawl past the stairs and peek over the wall…

He turned back to look at Knight Dooku. The Knight wasn’t at his post. Qui-Gon’s mind silently crooned croons of delight. Probably a change of shift, or maybe the Knight was hungry and had gone to get a snack. Guard work was hard work with low pay, according to a CorSec officer that had been called in to give a talk.

Still looking over his shoulder, he walked forward –

– straight into a rough homespun sash.

+++++

Well?

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Not bad, not bad

* applause *

See if you can do something with this idea ... we all know about midichlorians. What if there is a disease that attacks midiclorians or render midichlorians ineffective?

I wonder why no one use this idea to attack the Jedi and Sith.
Find, fix, finish

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks. :D

But er... this isn't the idea that i posted in the plot bunny thread.. and doesn't go into the issue of midichlorians beyond a passing mention... though thanks for the interesting idea. Was first posted in Jedi.Net . Shall post the 2nd part tomorrow.

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Darsha Assant wrote: But er... this isn't the idea that i posted in the plot bunny thread.. and doesn't go into the issue of midichlorians beyond a passing mention...
Sorry I seemed to have miss the thread. I checked the plot bunny thread and did not see this. Anyway, I am not interested in who thought of it first, I prefer to share ideas and see who can best develop ideas.

In the past, I have read some SW novels which made me wonder if I could write short stories of an incident during the times of young Han Solo or young Luke.
Find, fix, finish

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Er? Sorry... confused. I don't get what you're saying. :? :? :?

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Darsha Assant wrote:Er? Sorry... confused. I don't get what you're saying. :? :? :?
Confuse about which part and on what?
Maybe different wavelength.
Find, fix, finish

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Yep definitely diff wavelength. Anyway, here's the second part...

++++++

Qui-Gon stared stupidly at the nerf-hide boots, then gulped and looked upward, where Knight Dooku was looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

Qui-Gon gulped again.

Dooku still looked at him with the same expression.

Qui-Gon sadly began to turn to troop back to his quarters.

Knight Dooku cleared his throat. Qui-Gon turned back, hope etched on every millimeter of his features.

If hope you do not…

“I would try the towers, if I were you. Better view, and although you younglings are still not allowed in there, it’s less dangerous than going out,� the knight said, a half-smile on his face.

Qui-Gon beamed. “T-Thank you, S-sir!� he managed to stutter out, before doing a hasty about-turn and tripping over his initiate robes.
++++++
Qui-Gon panted as he finally reached top of the tower. It was just three meters away. Then two… then one… then…

He pulled himself up onto the window ledge, and gazed with wonder at the vista.

This was it.

This was the Scintillating Jewel of the republic. This was the Soul of the Galaxy. This was the picture that made a perfect twerrist postcard. This was what lay beyond. The sun — the real sun – sent off rays off light that glinted off every aperture, showed every crevasse, and illuminated the heart of five-year-old Qui-Gon Jinn. And when he grew up, and began a Jedi Knight, he would see every single detail of it. All the movement, the beauty, the dark depths….

Whatever faults Coruscant may have, it is certainly beautiful at sunrise.

++++++

:D End

Return to “Fan Fiction”