Blaster carrying trooper arrested

For all Costumers .... your own place to hang out and talk about the world of costuming ....

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun May 27, 2007 1:54 am

Haldir wrote:Ugh! There goes my habit of occasionally carrying my Blaster from my belt on way to Trooping. :shock:

Anyway, ya it's usually a matter of how you behave or transport the weapons.
A number of you would feel that I am the best person to comment on this...

From my experience, it isn't the way we carry our blasters but how ignorant or paranoid or civic-conscious people can be... Once a call is made to the cops, they will have to follow whatever guidelines that relate to firearms and replicas, regardless of how obvious our purpose may be... All may be well at the end of the day, but take it from me that the inconvenience is not worth the risk...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

mandalorianBleahhh

Post by mandalorianBleahhh » Sun May 27, 2007 8:41 am

GetzJedi wrote:
Haldir wrote:Ugh! There goes my habit of occasionally carrying my Blaster from my belt on way to Trooping. :shock:

Anyway, ya it's usually a matter of how you behave or transport the weapons.
A number of you would feel that I am the best person to comment on this...

From my experience, it isn't the way we carry our blasters but how ignorant or paranoid or civic-conscious people can be... Once a call is made to the cops, they will have to follow whatever guidelines that relate to firearms and replicas, regardless of how obvious our purpose may be... All may be well at the end of the day, but take it from me that the inconvenience is not worth the risk...
well in such contexts where calls are recieved, theres still a small percentage on how, where and what was carried arnd. If u gona be sneaky and alone, its even MORE likely to get calls
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"

yen

Post by yen » Sun May 27, 2007 9:28 am

Just when I thought of moding my Hasbro E-blster with the upgrade kit! Maybe I should just keep it as it is ooking like toy.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sun May 27, 2007 1:02 pm

yen wrote:Just when I thought of moding my Hasbro E-blster with the upgrade kit! Maybe I should just keep it as it is looking like toy.
Brandishing a toy gun in public will still get you arrested, or killed. Its not how real/fake the gun looks, its the fact that it looks like a dangerous firearm.

This unfortunate incident in Melbourne, Australia is entirely the trooper's fault. No weapon, be it replica or real, show be carried in public in full view, EVER!, no matter which part of the world you are in.

Even police are not allowed to carry their guns unholstered, unless they're in the process of apprehending/pursuing a suspect. And even then they are required by law to identify themselves whie brandishing their weapon.

Its just common sense.

The only time a repica weapon can be shown openly is in a setting where everyone KNOWS its meant to be a show or a performance.

yen

Post by yen » Sun May 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Think you got a point! kill or get killed, thats what you do when you are chosen as an elite imperial stormtrooper! :wink:

mandalorianBleahhh

Post by mandalorianBleahhh » Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 pm

yen wrote:Just when I thought of moding my Hasbro E-blster with the upgrade kit! Maybe I should just keep it as it is ooking like toy.
yeah like pointed out, its not 'how it looks like a toy or not'.

try brandishing a real AK-47 with an orange tip...lol..
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon May 28, 2007 8:47 am

The lesson to be learnt from this incident is when trooping in public areas, we have to be careful. As Des pointed out, when a "complaint" is made, the Police have to follow procedure and investigate, and it may lead to you losing a prized blaster.

Des, for the benefit of all, what are the exact restrictions as per the Police Force? Do holstered weapons make it all right?
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

yen

Post by yen » Mon May 28, 2007 10:24 am

Sounds stupid but is it wise to go to the police and collectively shown them all our gear and make known to them a force like us exists? Yes I could be too paronoid.

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon May 28, 2007 10:54 am

I guess that the difference here is that the Police Force may turn and look the other way if there are no complaints. If we brought it to their attention, then, the rule book kicks in. In either case, we may have to be mindful when trooping that we are not agressive in branishing weapons around in public to attract complaints.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Mon May 28, 2007 4:34 pm

In other word, do not try to go Trooping on your own in a public place or without first seeking authorization/approval from the Police etc? :wink:

At a public event or in large group, people will get to know that there are us in Costumes/Armor carrying realistic looking weapons so will not be alarmed at our presence. But try wearing the full armor on Orchard Road without any valid reason except for your own personal recording (Photoshoot, Was-Bored, Showing-Off etc) and you are asking for trouble.

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Mon May 28, 2007 7:58 pm

On our own??? We are never alone.. WE ARE THE 501st!!!! We NEVER TROOP ALONE.. HAHAHAHA :twisted:
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

erase

Post by erase » Mon May 28, 2007 8:39 pm

Yeah, I second that... Calling for re-enforcement... waiting to arrive... :)
Awwee wrote:On our own??? We are never alone.. WE ARE THE 501st!!!! We NEVER TROOP ALONE.. HAHAHAHA :twisted:
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Tue May 29, 2007 12:09 am

Paul K wrote:Des, for the benefit of all, what are the exact restrictions as per the Police Force? Do holstered weapons make it all right?
Looking at the Arms Offences Act (Chapter 14, Singapore Statues), anything that has the appearance of being an arm is known as 'imitation arm'... so our blasters will fall under this category if we mod it to look realistic.

Though our blasters will feel of plastic, the police can still place any person under arrest for unlawful possession of arm and seize the blasters for examination. This is regardless of whether the arm is holstered, concealed or exposed. Though the examinations will eventually conclude that our blasters do not contain any mechanisms common to real arms and charges are thus dropped, the stay in the lock up and the needful police procedures that will follow won't be a pleasant experience.

I wish to add that costumers who carry blasters should minimize the pointing of blasters at anyone unless for posed photographs, to avoid causing unnecessary alarm and calling of the police.
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

erase

Post by erase » Tue May 29, 2007 9:40 am

Point noted. Thanks Des for the clarification. At least, we know the penalty for doing all the silly acts. As a COG, I will call for the shot whenever we go public.
GetzJedi wrote:Looking at the Arms Offences Act (Chapter 14, Singapore Statues), anything that has the appearance of being an arm is known as 'imitation arm'... so our blasters will fall under this category if we mod it to look realistic.

Though our blasters will feel of plastic, the police can still place any person under arrest for unlawful possession of arm and seize the blasters for examination. This is regardless of whether the arm is holstered, concealed or exposed. Though the examinations will eventually conclude that our blasters do not contain any mechanisms common to real arms and charges are thus dropped, the stay in the lock up and the needful police procedures that will follow won't be a pleasant experience.

I wish to add that costumers who carry blasters should minimize the pointing of blasters at anyone unless for posed photographs, to avoid causing unnecessary alarm and calling of the police.
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

yen

Post by yen » Tue May 29, 2007 9:51 am

You got a point there! I feel the point about pointing is particularly sensitive matter in our community where everyone can get worked up easily when pointed by a finger even!

Return to “Costumers' Lounge”