Lucasfilm closes down Shepperton studios

For all Costumers .... your own place to hang out and talk about the world of costuming ....

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

Paul K
Site Admin

Lucasfilm closes down Shepperton studios

Post by Paul K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:33 am

I wonder if this will make the Shepperton suits more valuable now. Hahaha.

Lucasfilm Ltd. Wins Major Copyright Infringement Lawsuit Against Star Wars Stormtrooper Pirate

U.S. District Court Awards $20 Million for Illegal Creation and Sales of Unauthorized Star Wars Products

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The U.S. District Court for the Central District of California has awarded Lucasfilm Ltd. $20 million in damages in a copyright infringement and unfair competition case against the British firm Shepperton Design Studios and its owner, Andrew Ainsworth.

The court found that Shepperton Design Studios had been marketing unlicensed copies of Stormtrooper helmets and costumes, and TIE fighter pilot helmets from the Star Wars films, as well as making misleading claims about the authenticity and origins of these items.

The Judgment, by U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner, awards damages to Lucasfilm Ltd. for copyright infringement, unfair competition and trademark infringement and permanently bars Shepperton Design Studios from copying, reproducing, importing, licensing, marketing or displaying any of its unauthorized Star Wars products in the United States. Lucasfilm is also pursuing legal action against Shepperton in the U.K., where the company is based, to ensure that the judgment is enforced there.

“Lucasfilm vigorously protects its intellectual property rights in Star Wars,� said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. “Infringers like Shepperton need to understand that we will pursue them anywhere in the world to shut them down and seek restitution.�

Roffman noted that many Star Wars fans around the world produce replicas of Star Wars costumes for their own personal use and enjoyment, an activity to which Lucasfilm Ltd. has no objection. One such group, the “501st Legion� of Stormtroopers, is a global organization that has often worked with Lucasfilm and its partners. “We appreciate that Star Wars has sparked the imaginations of fans around the world,� he said. “We would never want to discourage fans from showcasing their enthusiasm for the movies. However, anyone who tries to profit from using our copyrights and trademarks without authorization crosses the line; they become an infringer and we will go after them.�

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:45 pm

Are your Stormtrooper helmets and costumes and TIE fighter pilot helmets purchased from Shepperton? :roll:
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Dr EMH wrote:Are your Stormtrooper helmets and costumes and TIE fighter pilot helmets purchased from Shepperton? :roll:
I would be so lucky. Nah... Strange but the Shepperton site is still up and running when I checked this morning.

erase

Post by erase » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Paul K wrote:
Dr EMH wrote:Are your Stormtrooper helmets and costumes and TIE fighter pilot helmets purchased from Shepperton? :roll:
I would be so lucky. Nah... Strange but the Shepperton site is still up and running when I checked this morning.
Hey Paul, thanks for the info...was so close to get one of its Tie helmet... :)
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:22 pm

Better get your tie quick before they go underground, then, may even be more expensive.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Actually it seems that although a US court ruled in favour of LFL, They have yet to convince a UK court to do the same. This is why its still business as usual for SD Studios.

If you don't mind getting a migrane you can read all about the legal mambo-jambo here:

SDS Court case

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Ding-Ding, Round two to commence in UK. In this corner, we have the undisputed champion of Star Wars, tipping the scales at a mighty one ton is the great, the only, Gerorge Porgie. In the other corner, weighing in at a light 80 stone is the underdog, double A. Stay tuned...

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Paramount auctioned off all 4,000 Star Trek props/costumes last week and only pocket in US$7-millions ... GL's one single Star Wars props/costumes law suit and earn US$20-millions ... now who's smarter? :roll:

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Dr EMH wrote:now who's smarter? :roll:
Has there EVER been any doubt??? :lol:

6 SW movies: Billions in value
10 ST movies, plus hundreds of ST episodes over 40 years: 50 Milllion???
:roll:

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:10 ST movies, plus hundreds of ST episodes over 40 years: 50 Milllion???[/color][/b] :roll:
where do u get the figures? :roll: ... surely more than that lah.

UPN (United Paramount Network) made $8 billion from ad sales in year 2000 alone ... not counting the profit from the sale of DVDs and franchise merchandise ... go figure the earnings Paramount earned over the past 4 decade ... :wink:

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Dr EMH wrote:... now who's smarter? :roll:
This remind me of a joke between Dr.M and Mr.Lee ...

Dr.M told Mr.Lee: "We produce our own cars, and earn millions of $$$"

Mr.Lee told Dr.M: "We didn't produce any car, we only sell COE ... also earn millions of $$$"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:47 am

That cracked me up. Imagine, just selling a silly sheet of paper can nab the govt so much money.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Dr EMH wrote:
Dr EMH wrote:
Plo Strax-Avix wrote:10 ST movies, plus hundreds of ST episodes over 40 years: 50 Milllion??? :roll:
where do u get the figures? :roll: ... surely more than that lah.
I was just being very sarcarstic :lol:

Oklah, I'm feeling generous, so I'll estimate Paramount made a billion USD over 4 decades! :wink:

GL made a billion or more in the last 5 years alone
:lol:

fangirl2

Post by fangirl2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:38 pm

well, so long as everyone lives long and prosper... :D
@}--,-----

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:17 am

fangirl2 wrote:well, so long as everyone lives long and prosper... :D
Yeah, live long and prosperous ... :lol:

Return to “Costumers' Lounge”