Don Post tie helmet in the making

Discuss your props and replicas here

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

donleow

Don Post tie helmet in the making

Post by donleow » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:58 pm

i like to share with other members who have intention or in the making that is really worth spending time to work on the helmet ..and hope this will encourage all of u..

I used to perceived that that suiting up ur helmet is tedious and troublesome task but after handson on the helmet...i really felt the belonging sensations and satisfaction despite the time and effor spend on the helmet which i have probably touch it tonnes of times while fixing up the accessories up and here are just some of the pictorial to share my progress.

cushioning the helmet
i m glad that to work in an IT environment which gives me the chances of scavenging alot of leftovers like bolts and nuts which are very useful..and one of it is a server and laptop cushioning when they shipped new equipment to us...the cushioning was precut into right size so i didnt spend much time reshaping it and also with certain larger block of sponge ...i can afford to make a cushioning support apart from the headliner

wiring the fan to the helmet

i seen in this forum alot of wiring techniques and first of all i like to thank jawaman for advicing me on the wiring part of the chestbox which the schematic is really helpful. I have gone to the extend to only fix a pair fan set for the helmet which has been a challenge for donpost due to the shape of chin...what i found out is that using 50mA fan is the best cos not only it can generate breeze due to its power but also u can use a probably smaller 12v battery then a 9v battery thus saving alot of space for it...and with an on/off switch installed as well

initial wiring process for the fan

completed and masked battery and fan wiring

the switch concealed at the side of helmet

this is kind of on/off switch i used for both chest box and helmet circuit

Greeblies installation
with good friend and also a vampire squadron member getzjedi ....i was able to acquire the washers and bolts thru him and also i have taken a few items out from harddisk to use it for the greeblies on the side...here are some of the pics

3 button ( not sure what names are those below greeblies)

i have made it as such that i was using a round surface bolts found in the toolbox...searching thru this forum...i have only seen members putting in LED but not bolt..so intend to try and attempt for a change which i m not sure is it canon to do so but personally i think is cool cause it draw attention having some metal relfective part

fixing progress of the 3 buttons

finished work of the 3 buttons

the harddisk roller from an IBM desktop harddisk proof to be useful to illustrate the protuding effect though i wish i can find something more egg shaped like item.
side Greeblies ( up close)

top view of the greeblies

all in all i m a happy pilot now awaiting to be recruited...and thks for all the information, encouragement and sharing from the forum that allow me to complete the helmet with minimal difficulty

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Looking good!!! Well done... hmmm....no painting of the face? Camera will not be able to catch your bucket's details... :twisted:

Good job
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

Post by 9 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:48 pm

wah nice!

donleow

Post by donleow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:52 am

i did some research on TIE that silver painting are for commander level or squad leader

pilot level shld be black in overall...and reason for adding silver or grey including widow tear to the helmet is meant for filming requirement...but will be adding that shortly i will be using a gun metal color

thks
don

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Wah... Like that I also must put Widow tear liaoz... Hee hee... :lol:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

donleow

Post by donleow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:52 pm

u shld man...since u r the first tie pilot we have in history of singapore and definitely worthy the title of being the tie squadron commander in rank

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:42 pm

Wow nice job. I'm about to embark on the same enhancement on my TIE bucket and this reference is real helpful.

Anyone have good reference and tips on how to paint the face? :D

donleow

Post by donleow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:44 pm

will be doing the face paint job in the next stage...watch for this space

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:33 am

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:Anyone have good reference and tips on how to paint the face? :D
Use lotsa masking tape... Mask around the frown and the tears... Wrap up the rest of the helmet... Spraypaint silver... Remove masking tape and wrapping once dry... Spraypaint clear over the whole helmet... Done...

If you can get a paintshop to spraypaint the clear layer, I think the effect would be alot better... Esp those shops that customize motorcycle helmets...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

donleow

Post by donleow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 am

i think spraying clear over it will be too reflective right...i think i go for battle damaged helmet...cos i saw the actual ep4 ANH helmet in Japan exhibit..is not gloss. But for now will take ur advice...thinking of using gun metal color is that okie?

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:07 am

donleow wrote:But for now will take ur advice...thinking of using gun metal color is that okie?
You mean for the tear or the whole helmet? Gun metal is too dark for the tear and using it for the whole helmet creates too much contrast with the armour...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

donleow

Post by donleow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:41 pm

just the tear and frown...

Return to “Props and Replicas”