self made helmet stand for ur starwars helmet

Discuss your props and replicas here

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

donleow

self made helmet stand for ur starwars helmet

Post by donleow » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:52 am

this round i m doing tutorial on this helmet stand for tie fighter helmet or any other helmet u own including red guard which also double as a working stand when i work on the helmet like gluing and painting...hope to share with all of cost of the material should not access 6 dollars sing...which i spend in total for the material needed...dependent on where u r orginiate..u probably can even cheaper one...u can see i didnt add a bigger base for the stand due to the fact that i added a ring on top of the ball that absorb and balance the weight of the helmet equally which will be illustrated below

the foam ball and ring can be purchased from artshop and for singapore fans...it is artfriend at bras basah complex and total cost is like 3.50 sing

the kitchen roll stand is from carrerfour suntect and costs like 2.90 sing per stand with a free roll of kitchen towel

Material list

1.Foam Ball ( approx 10inch) prefer to split into half...look for the split and thefoam ball which is hollow inside
2. a foam hollow ring ( approx 7inch)
3. a kitchen roll stand ( avail in any supermarket)
4. strong glue

foam ball interior when split

make a shallow groove using the paper roll stand to hold the ball of the stand

finished groove as shown

then glue the half ball to the stand and leave glue to dry

next add the hollow ring to the half foam ball ( reason for the ring is to either support ur helmet liner and give an all round balance to it which commerial stand available on ebay don; provide)

finish work and ur helmet is on...( make sure glue is dry)

side view to show the effect of the ring which really balance the helmet and make it perpendicular and align

another view of the helmet

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:37 am

Woh! I had been looking for that seller on eBay who used to sell helmet stand similar to your instruction tho' they are all steel except the foam part, for my IRG. And thot of making one myself and yet I never thot of using kitchen towel stand.

Thanks for the recommandation! :wink:

Post by 9 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:37 pm

I believe materials are easily available at Artfriends....bras basah or the sunshine plaza branch...i saw those round and odder shaped styrofoam pieces before. :)

donleow

Post by donleow » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:38 pm

i have already listed down the place and price of the material so u folks can reference to and like 9 says is really simple and easy to make..

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:04 pm

9 wrote:I believe materials are easily available at Artfriends....bras basah or the sunshine plaza branch...i saw those round and odder shaped styrofoam pieces before. :)
How about Ngee Ann City, just above Kino? The store seems to have more stuffs than the Bras Basah one.

Post by 9 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:13 pm

Haldir wrote:
9 wrote:I believe materials are easily available at Artfriends....bras basah or the sunshine plaza branch...i saw those round and odder shaped styrofoam pieces before. :)
How about Ngee Ann City, just above Kino? The store seems to have more stuffs than the Bras Basah one.

erm yah...but the ngee ann one is pricier? looks abit atas leh the shop...hee

donleow

Post by donleow » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:38 pm

is individual preference...i m just providing some guides to make things easier for everyone..

Commander_Salji

Re: self made helmet stand for ur starwars helmet

Post by Commander_Salji » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm

donleow wrote:this round i m doing tutorial on this helmet stand for tie fighter helmet or any other helmet u own including red guard which also double as a working stand when i work on the helmet like gluing and painting...

Material list

1.Foam Ball ( approx 10inch) prefer to split into half...look for the split and thefoam ball which is hollow inside
3. a kitchen roll stand ( avail in any supermarket)
4. strong glue

next add the hollow ring to the half foam ball (reason for the ring is to either support ur helmet liner and give an all round balance to it which commerial stand available on ebay don; provide)

finish work and ur helmet is on...( make sure glue is dry)

side view to show the effect of the ring which really balance the helmet and make it perpendicular and align
Don, many THANKS for sharing your Helmet Stand Tutorial. I will be getting the materials that you have recommended for these Helmets in my 501st Legion costume Inventory :

and soon this white baby here :wink: :

TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

mandalorianBleahhh

Post by mandalorianBleahhh » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:44 pm

another easy way, is to Use Towel Stands (those Kitchen rolls that are over 30cm long?)
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"

donleow

Post by donleow » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:49 am

ya towel stand and kitchen roll shld be similar and one can always saw it..

only thing that i chosen this type of kitchen roll stand because is meant really for helmet that have longer face plate or fowl....like red guard and snowtrooper

Hey Peter

glad to see another snowie coming up...look forward to see ur pic buddy
TS 3132 ( curlyhair)
Singapore Garrison

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:50 pm

donleow wrote:Hey Peter

glad to see another snowie coming up...look forward to see ur pic buddy
Don, no worries I will post the pictures here when I have completed my Snowtrooper Commander project. That I can assure you. ETA Year End 2006 (will be acquiring my Moon Boots and modifying the DH-44 Blaster). Hopefully we can team up in 2007 and TROOP as members of the Galactic Empire's Blizzard Force together with Reno (another 501st Singapore member who has the TS Gear) and our good o' Dan "Julian Glover" Wang, the AT-AT Commander. :)

donleow wrote:only thing that i chosen this type of kitchen roll stand because is meant really for helmet that have longer face plate or fowl....like red guard and snowtrooper
I have acquired the standard Kitchen Roll Stand for my Helmets from Tesco Hypermart. Excluding the Wooden base, the Height of the wooden pole is 10 Inches or approx. 26 cm. I believe with the addition of the foam ball that I've procured together will provide the Internal Support that I need.

Don you have posted this information here :

My Question is how do you determine that by looking at the foam ball is hollow inside? I have yet to cut mine open with my Lightsaber as yet to determine whether the middle is Hollow or otherwise. The Foam Ball that I've acquired from ACE Hardware @ special clearance price of RM5.50 has a perimeter of 15 Inches (just measured it a minute ago)

Need your help here, where are the other places that I can seek out acquire the said Foam Hollow Ring as we certainly do NOT have the "Artfriend" Shop here in Malaysia... :(

Thanks,
-Peter
Last edited by Commander_Salji on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

donleow

Post by donleow » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:31 pm

hey Pete

not necessary must be hollow ring and hollow ball, jsut make sure ur ball can be inserted into the kitchen stand, and also the hollow ring is meant for larger helmet like TIE fighter but better still if u can acquire a foam head...that will save all the trouble u go thru making one..

thks
don
TS 3132 ( curlyhair)
Singapore Garrison

Return to “Props and Replicas”