Commander Pauldrons and Kamas

Discuss your props and replicas here

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

AyKay

Commander Pauldrons and Kamas

Post by AyKay » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey guys. So Sev-like and I are workinng on our armours, Commanders Thire and Deviss respectively. A major part of the commander's emsemble are the kama and pauldron. For the pauldrons we cut out PVC Vinyls to shape and used foam pads for the four main segments and the fillers, plus cardstock to support the whole thing from underneath. The shoulder pads that jut out shall be made from acrylic or something, attached on with velcro. Kamas are made of Arab Street Burlap, which I found to be still quite unsatisfactory, so they are wrapped up front and back with Calico, plus hemming.

Overall, the quality is very fitting of first-time experience and handmade flaws. Any advice/help you guys can offer that can improve the situation. From what I understand from mosske, one eye is closed at the kama when requesting 501st entry, but the pauldron is pretty important...

Pictures soon... As soon as I get my hands on a camera...
Ananda 'AK' Kang | ANEH | TK 8315 | Expert Infantryman | Singapore Garrison

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 am

Just a heads up. Our dear "Deviss" used loads of terms known only to us. Can't have that "Commander Tactful" nickname now, Deviss :D

Basically, "foam pads" would mean craft foam. "fillers" will be the thinner segments that fills up the gaps between the main segments. "shoulder pads" are the main colored segments on the shoulder.

That's all..hope it helps. :D Deviss' pauldron is with me now so he can't get the pics. I'll try upload them by today... consider this a WIP - work in progress thread..
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Red_5

Post by Red_5 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 am

can't wait to see them costume! Keep up the great work guys
"The Darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities that some consider to be unnatural.....is it possible to learn those powers? YES, Not from a Jedi..."

AyKay

Post by AyKay » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Haha, actually it's more like I can't remember the actual terms to use for these things, so I end up either using our lingo or invented words.

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Alright, as promised.. photos of our latest advancement into this prop/replica/whatever-you-call-it...

First, my pauldron. With velcro sewn on already, preparing to attach the main segments to it. Note masking tape, they are for reinforcing the seams along the sides.

Next Deviss' pauldron, totally black to hide a few blemishes. otherwise similar in design.

Next, my kama. Black (or rather splotchy black) with scratches and faded look as weathering

Lastly, the main segments. Smaller ones are the right, Larger ones on the left. Note, they're are red 'cuz they're suppose to be Thire's..

So what do you guys think? :D
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

AyKay

Post by AyKay » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Yeah, them blemishes (partially scraped-off craft foam) are still very visible. If they can't pass of as weathering, gonna have to scrape them off.

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I have no idea how you're gonna pull that off. But I'm finishing the main segments first. Add that to weathering my gunship and making my boots, its a hell lot of work..
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Return to “Props and Replicas”