Parks Sabers Lightsaber

Discuss your props and replicas here

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

spiffmeister

Post by spiffmeister » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

Parks use EL (Electro luminescence) technology for their sabers. Basically its a wire that glows (in its preset color) when current if passed through it. Advantages are that the color is uniform throughout the blade, BUT it's nowhere as bright as the LED sabers like those from Ultra.

Ultrasabers use LED emitters embedded in the hilt, so like what AnakinSg said, it's easy to change the blade. But not the color! Also, because the emitter is at the hilt, it flares like crazy at the bottom and dies down towards the tip.

But like mosske said, it's still bright enough to not require photoshopping, like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixQWKj5_ ... re=related

FYI, there's a group of saber builders who are pushing the move away from Luxeon 5s to Luxeon Rebel. It's waaay brighter and allows for more uniform illumination.

I feel like trying my hand at building my own saber, (i'm probably biting off more than I can chew here) because I want cool hilts with bright lights and the 'ladder' effect during activation and deactivation.

Hurm... I think...

Do or do not. There is no try. I shall build my own lightsaber! Anyone interested? (gonna be a year long, at least *eyeballs his empty wallet and crazy school schedule*)

AnakinSg

Post by AnakinSg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:31 pm

spiffmeister wrote:Parks use EL (Electro luminescence) technology for their sabers. Basically its a wire that glows (in its preset color) when current if passed through it. Advantages are that the color is uniform throughout the blade, BUT it's nowhere as bright as the LED sabers like those from Ultra.

Ultrasabers use LED emitters embedded in the hilt, so like what AnakinSg said, it's easy to change the blade. But not the color! Also, because the emitter is at the hilt, it flares like crazy at the bottom and dies down towards the tip.

But like mosske said, it's still bright enough to not require photoshopping, like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixQWKj5_ ... re=related

FYI, there's a group of saber builders who are pushing the move away from Luxeon 5s to Luxeon Rebel. It's waaay brighter and allows for more uniform illumination.

I feel like trying my hand at building my own saber, (i'm probably biting off more than I can chew here) because I want cool hilts with bright lights and the 'ladder' effect during activation and deactivation.

Hurm... I think...

Do or do not. There is no try. I shall build my own lightsaber! Anyone interested? (gonna be a year long, at least *eyeballs his empty wallet and crazy school schedule*)
Wow, thanks for that information. it was well written and very informative. I really learnt a lot reading it and would lke to try and make one of the luxeon Rebel myself.
AnakinSg
7533 Alpine

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm a clean scout, so dun dirty my armour on purpose.

AnakinSg

Post by AnakinSg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo wrote:see this...

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-diy-sta ... s-replica/
That is a great clip thanks. I knew most of it, but it was certainly good to see it demonstrated in that way. It is a shame we can't convert a sterling here in Singapore. Well when I move back to a country with more freedom I will try an authentic blaster too!
AnakinSg
7533 Alpine

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:08 am

AnakinSg wrote:

That is a great clip thanks. I knew most of it, but it was certainly good to see it demonstrated in that way. It is a shame we can't convert a sterling here in Singapore. Well when I move back to a country with more freedom I will try an authentic blaster too!
freedom comes with a price bro. :wink: (just heard over the news abt the NY gunman seige)
note: "sterling" is actually a sub-machine gun used by he british army. MR GL mod it for the E11 blaster.

btw, there is a website stated in the video clip tat customize light sabers etc...

see this forum for more info in modding ur light sabers etc etc etc. :)

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=102.0
I'm a clean scout, so dun dirty my armour on purpose.

AnakinSg

Post by AnakinSg » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 am

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo wrote:
AnakinSg wrote:

freedom comes with a price bro. :wink: (just heard over the news abt the NY gunman seige)
note: "sterling" is actually a sub-machine gun used by he british army. MR GL mod it for the E11 blaster.

btw, there is a website stated in the video clip tat customize light sabers etc...

see this forum for more info in modding ur light sabers etc etc etc. :)

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=102.0
Yes when I was in the British Forces we used the 7.62 SLR and the women used the Sterling 9mm SMG (They could not handle the SLR as it had too much kick) The SMG was a very dangerous weapon as it had a fixed firing pin so would fire off when the working parts were allowed to go forward. We had many accidents involving the women accidently letting off a round accidently (ND). Later we all moved over to the L85A1, which was a very light weapon using high velocity 5.56 rounds. We also had the S.U.S.A.T.(Sight Unit Small Arms Trilux) sight attached (These sights were filled with radio active gas). I also used the Browining 9mm pistol and PPK.

Well thats a bit of history for you from my encounter with the SMG. I believe they all got sold off to some African country when the were kicked out of service.
AnakinSg
7533 Alpine

torque6

Post by torque6 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:55 pm

hmm, anakinsg blade looks pretty bright.

AnakinSg

Post by AnakinSg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:21 am

torque6 wrote:hmm, anakinsg blade looks pretty bright.
It has been converted with a Luxeon 3 bulb in the hilt from Ultra Sabers.
I still have one conversion Kit left for Darth Vader ANH or ESB.
There is a Luxeon 5 bulb which is 80% brighter they say but can not use with the Master Replicas sound board as the higher power would fry the board. I see Plexter Labs make a sound board to convert the MR so I may look into that and see if it can take the higher power of the Lux 5.
I spend a fortune on batteries though and one set usually only lasts one troop. if I try to make it last longer the chances are that it will fade on me during trooping...... :oops:
AnakinSg
7533 Alpine

recon

Post by recon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:44 pm

AnakinSg wrote:
torque6 wrote:hmm, anakinsg blade looks pretty bright.
It has been converted with a Luxeon 3 bulb in the hilt from Ultra Sabers.
I still have one conversion Kit left for Darth Vader ANH or ESB.
There is a Luxeon 5 bulb which is 80% brighter they say but can not use with the Master Replicas sound board as the higher power would fry the board. I see Plexter Labs make a sound board to convert the MR so I may look into that and see if it can take the higher power of the Lux 5.
I spend a fortune on batteries though and one set usually only lasts one troop. if I try to make it last longer the chances are that it will fade on me during trooping...... :oops:
Bro you should use a rechargable batteries...

Return to “Props and Replicas”