Boba Fett [5 years in the making and it's finally done.]

Discuss your props and replicas here

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 am

Imperials,

Am finally done with my armor...

Here's the dullcoated version, complete with scratches.

Thanks again for staying tuned!

Stay safe,

Tim.
BH6325, The Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
"He's No Good To Me Dead."

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to post a few pics up on the work I did with my JP to make it wearable...

For the JP/Harness setup, besides the normal shoulder attachments, I wanted another pair for the bottom of my JP so I wouldn't have to worry about it swinging loosely from any sudden movements. And while the MLC2 is a lightweight pack, I wanted the feel of a more rounded secure hold on both the top and bottom of my JP.

With that thought in mind, I went out and picked up 2 cheap metal buckles [$1.35ea], removed the pins and had em installed into the JP for my lower back securement. And since I had access to resin and fiberglass, used that to hold the buckles in place.

I then purchased some nylon, milgrade standard [used for most Military apps] as I wanted both strength and durability as well as used a few of my spare BHI [Blackhawk Industries]; 2 x 1.5 inches & 2 x 1 inch buckles that I had lyin around and used snaps to affix it on.

End result from the back...

My base JP harness is a basic affordable padded High Sierra 'camelbak' [$14.00] that I found at a Sporting Goods Store near my office. It came without a bladder hence the price. ;)

I then had the 1.5 inch nylon stiched onto the 'camelbak' shoulder straps, leaving enough leeway, for me to slip on the male connector of the buckle and a tri-glide to hold the excess.

Measured off the length downwards and had the 1 inch nylon stitched on near the bottom end of the 'camelbak'. And then on top of which, I had the waist belt 2 inch nylon stitched across as well. Am currently using a milgrade 2 inch buckle till I locate a US Divers buckle to replace it. :;)

All nylon attachments have tri-glides to hold and secure the excess nylon and are double stitched [ahh, the virtues of being a hard core high speed geardo :lol].

Last but not least, I also sourced from my excess gear and found a small 1 inch chest strap buckle setup for securement across my chest tween the shoulder straps.

Tried everything on [harness, vest and backplate] and the pack sits comfortably fine, doesn't slide down and doesn't swing out. Troopingwise I'll find out in Oct when I hit Taipei for the Con there. ;)

The pics..

More pics to come...watch this space! Hope this thread was informative guys. :cheers

PWIP pics to follow in abit. :cheers

Stay safe,

Tim.

P.S. Harry, Jacen please contact me once you read this thread, especially Jacen..I know how the Jango JP sits moviewise, and I know the setup you can use for yourself. Harry, you can use the same setup as me. Stay frosty Hunters.

donleow

Post by donleow » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:08 pm

nice alternative bro for the harness and this is especially true that i seen before other foreign troopers jetpack was made as such that there are no movement leeway for them...your design speaks one good key requirement for all troopers, always made our armour highly mobility rather than restricting our moves..

now u get me going for the RC and clones , maybe we should adopt the same methodology for their backpack ...

thumbs up bro.
TS 3132 ( curlyhair)
Singapore Garrison

al13ns
Location: roaming around Fiorina 'Fury' 161 - lookin for inmates

Post by al13ns » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:07 pm

TD 6325 wrote:
P.S. Harry, Jacen please contact me once you read this thread, especially Jacen..I know how the Jango JP sits moviewise, and I know the setup you can use for yourself. Harry, you can use the same setup as me. Stay frosty Hunters.

Yes Sir, first of all,

- need to know where to get the padded High Sierra 'camelback'

- need to drill the holes behind the jetpack [btw, how do u prevent the "door" behind the JP to open ?]

and thanks for sharing, it's really inspire me for the harness system [after thinking so many ways to do it :D ] hopefully u can make it for Taiwan's trooping event.

Jacen,

let me know if u r goin to meet Tim.
ImageImageImage

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:42 am

Harry,

The Camelbak knockoff can be found at any good Haversack/sporting goods store.

As for the 'door' opening, either use pressure fit to keep it close, velcro or magnets.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim,

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:45 am

Well my fellow Imperials,

Short of padding, attaching my working LED bulb and the tubing attachments, here are my Gauntlets.

Here they are:
With Flash...

Without Flash...

The Flamethrower Lasers...

I'm also adding industrial magnets for the flamethrower housing bottom panel for easier removal and access to the batteries and laser circuit. ;)

Thanks gp out to BP for a great pair, to GF on the great idea on utilizing lasers for the flamethrowers and Russ for the very excellent machined parts!

Stay safe,

Tim.

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:48 am

More progress pics on my JP and some issues I had with paint...

Here is where I am now, minus the white, black stripes and symbols, scratches, misting and dullcoat.

And here's my problem, I got back one day, removed the masking tape/newspaper and found little cracks all over the body, mainly on the blues. Anyone with any idea on why that happened? Weather? Cure time shortage? I'll probably incorporate the cracks into the damaged/weathering scheme somehow...and/or might strip off the paint and redo it later on.

My JP attached onto my harness, vest and backplate, nice and snug. :)

Thanks! again for tuning in...and any ideas/advice on the cracking would be most appreciated. Gracias!

Stay safe,

Tim.

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 am

Oh, almost forgot..my BM Helm.

Had some issues with the new masking fluid I bought, same brand, 3 times the price and it didn't come off as easy as the first bottle I had. Had a few sticky situations with it and paint on the helm...

The Rear:

The Dome and Lower Cheeks:

The Drying:

Next day:-
The Upper Cheeks:

Stay tuned!

Stay safe,

Tim.

donleow

Post by donleow » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:23 am

things are just getting better each time brother tim...maybe next round u can have a real flamethrower that jet out aerosel and fire...that will be cool and dangerous... but the beam is good and infact will be curious what u use for the beam light...

as for the paintwork, is quality work for sure and definitely look forward to it...
maybe should do a tutorial on your work...and that will be nice...
TS 3132 ( curlyhair)
Singapore Garrison

yen

Post by yen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Just sharing, the cracked paint looks like mine i did on a wet day. Worst still i turned on the fan trying to speed up the drying but the paintwork cracked even more right before me. Never happened though when dry and sunny so i think could be moisture thats ruining it.

chakster

Post by chakster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:24 pm

yen wrote:Just sharing, the cracked paint looks like mine i did on a wet day. Worst still i turned on the fan trying to speed up the drying but the paintwork cracked even more right before me. Never happened though when dry and sunny so i think could be moisture thats ruining it.
Yup, my D&T teacher friend told me that it happens because the top skin of paint hardens before the paint underneath has time to dry properly.

But all I can say is HOLY GUACAMOLE! :shock:
Your Fett is AWESOME!!! Looking forward to seeing you in costume. :D
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:27 pm

Don,
Thanks! I did up the Flamethrower Laser as I wanted my Gauntlets to be more than just a static pair. ;) As for the tutorial, you sure you want me to? :lol:

Yen,
Thanks for the insight, but I'm pretty sure I had the painting done during a hot day...oh well, time to incorporate the cracking into the weathering..for now. :)

Shawn,
Gracias for the good word!

Stay safe all,

Tim.

yen

Post by yen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 am

No problem. There must be other reasons for the paint cracking besides low temp and high moisture. Maybe its in the paint itself the blue is not taking up as nicely as the red and yellow. Nevertheless looking at the closeups the cracking seems random and not evenly spread across the area. I would flat sand it slightly to reduce the texture but keeping enough as part of the weathering effect. Just a thought but maybe you've already done it.

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Yen, probably...and the cracking seems to be low profile...I can't feel the flake or the crack. Oh well, once I get this baby weathered, we'll see. :) Thanks again!

Another update...

My JP, with the white on...still abit more to do...

My helm progress, still need to dirty it up, weather, scratch and dullcoat it.

Stay tuned!

Tim.

TD 6325

Post by TD 6325 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Still working on the helm and JP so I decided instead to share with you my new leather ammo belt. Smells nice too. :)

And some close ups of my DIY JP Harness:

More over the weekend!

Stay safe,

Tim

Return to “Props and Replicas”