How to make a Royal Guard (red) suit + helmet?

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

How to make a Royal Guard (red) suit + helmet?

Post by 9 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Any recommendations/suggestions/advice ?

Dimensions?

Im keen...but don't know how to. I surfed the net around, only found pictures, but no dimensions of helmet so far. :|

Anybody got a spare i can measure? hee

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 pm

You've got to either buy the helmet or cast one like what the guy did in the other thread... I'll keep a look out for you on Ebay... But be prepared to fork out quite a bit cos this helmet is no longer in production by the licensed company...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Post by 9 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:05 pm

GetzJedi wrote:You've got to either buy the helmet or cast one like what the guy did in the other thread... I'll keep a look out for you on Ebay... But be prepared to fork out quite a bit cos this helmet is no longer in production by the licensed company...
i seen the sites....the original don post helmet...is not the of the right colour....maroon red. Furthermore i think its quite expensive.

Im sourcing out lobang to cast a brighter red one...i see how it will costs per helmet, then decide if i wanna do a red guard costume. Hehe

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 pm

The helmet remains the same... Costumers who want screen-accuracy usually change the visor and give the helmet a new paintjob...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Post by 9 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm

icic....if only there were affordable helmets. :)

donleow

Post by donleow » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:59 pm

all the helmet and costume are secondary factor but do consider before investing ur time and money on it...ensure that u have that height for it...average suggest based on starwars database that the guard is approximately 1.8m tall...sory to be blunt but it will really ugly to have a shorty red guard since the helmet is an elongated version...will just look weird.

Post by 9 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:59 am

donleow wrote:all the helmet and costume are secondary factor but do consider before investing ur time and money on it...ensure that u have that height for it...average suggest based on starwars database that the guard is approximately 1.8m tall...sory to be blunt but it will really ugly to have a shorty red guard since the helmet is an elongated version...will just look weird.
yah i know what im 'plunging' into...its the time and money invested. So i have to weigh my costs, juggle my time...and compare alternatives. =)

oh im 1.73....7 cm short of the average. Can make the cut?

Nordic TS0842

Post by Nordic TS0842 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:35 am

Well the Ebay does have sometimes cheap Don Post deluxes. I got one. Only few day auction and condition of helmet was scrathed on back. But nevermind. Anyway it needed paintjob. Luckily the visor was changed and it was not the original.

Now I have porblem to find right canvas. I have heard that some italian textile warehouse have it on stock. Correct ROTJ color and material. Don't know how to get it cause it's expensive and sold only by full rolls.

So I need first correct canvas to repaint my helmet exactly same color. Then to do inner robe, force pike, booths, red gloves and maybe partly TK-armor inside of Royal Guard suit. -Much to do...
// 501st Legion Nordic Garrison \\
TS - ID - TK - TR 0842

Post by 9 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 am

does the Don Post guard helmets come in various sizes? or issit same size by default throughout...juz wondering.

As for the cape, is velvet in the right colour good enough? The realistic model had both heavy thick looking capes. :|

**apologies if i really do sound like a noob who have a half-past-six interest in Star Wars costuming...im still exploring the possibilities of getting a reasonably priced costume, and join in the fun with the other costumers in the country. But the interest is genuine, i just need more information(and time) and the 'how to'. Would like thank everyone who took time out, for the patience to explain every little nitty bitty stuff.

Eversince i tried the rental shop's Jango Fett's (cheaper looking version) for halloween...im rather satisfied and strangely happy hiding behind a mask. The experience is sweet. So im hoping maybe being a red guard or a tie-fighter pilot is feasible (since des proposed i try out...thanks des!) =)

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:10 pm

9 wrote:does the Don Post guard helmets come in various sizes? or issit same size by default throughout...juz wondering.

As for the cape, is velvet in the right colour good enough? The realistic model had both heavy thick looking capes. :|

**apologies if i really do sound like a noob who have a half-past-six interest in Star Wars costuming...im still exploring the possibilities of getting a reasonably priced costume, and join in the fun with the other costumers in the country. But the interest is genuine, i just need more information(and time) and the 'how to'. Would like thank everyone who took time out, for the patience to explain every little nitty bitty stuff.

Eversince i tried the rental shop's Jango Fett's (cheaper looking version) for halloween...im rather satisfied and strangely happy hiding behind a mask. The experience is sweet. So im hoping maybe being a red guard or a tie-fighter pilot is feasible (since des proposed i try out...thanks des!) =)
I will also try out a TIE pilot if I have the resources....but I will look better as BIGGS....hahaha...

So for now, I will settle for the Sith Lord...:)

i.e ROTS Emperor

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:42 pm

adamteo wrote:....but I will look better as BIGGS....hahaha...
You do?!?! Which part of him?!?! :shock:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:33 am

Okay, here come the IRG who few knew about...... :roll:

1. Have you decide which version or hybrid of IRG you want to do?
There are basically 3 different Canon Version of IRG
- ROTJ (All Velvet)
- Crimson Empire I or II (Different Cloak Design & Armored)
- AOTC/ROTS (Velvet Cloak and :shock: ...... I'll find out as it's still some robe)

Some like me choose to combine one aspect of a version of the RG Outfit with one from another or substituting one material with another due to personal taste or limited resources (Eg: Mine is CE Cloak BUT going for ROTJ Underrobes)

Add to that the "Fan Creation" ones that usually have the Guard wearing a Red Stormtrooper Armor and Cloak that can range from just a piece of cloth with a hole cut for the head to go thru' or a proper IRG Cloak.

2. Helmet?
Helmet is usually the starting point for a proper costume.

Don Post helmet are rare and can run into USD150+++ on eBay nowadays, since Don Post stop having the licensed to produce SW Helmet & Mask many, many years ago.
But why many fans is still after it is that in comparision to Rubies, Don Post of better quality and can last a lifetime if you modify it well and maintain it. Keep it out of the reach of idiots; my helmet survived my lack of maintainance the past 4 years and yet it can't survive an idiot's poor handling for a month! :evil:
'95 ones, tho' Maroon are the best as it seems like a thicker material was used while '96 is most common. But, it's only 90% of the original size so those with bigger head can't wear it or need to expand the helmet or sand the inside.

Rubies is said to produce RG Helmet BUT fan feedback hasn't been good as they used inferior materials in order to maintain the "low" :roll: pricetag. But seriously I had never came across Rubies IRG helmet on eBay.....

Altmann from Australia produce Fiberglass(??) helmet but their pricetag is :shock: :shock:

Then, there are those Fan Casted ones.

Whatever it is, YOU MUST REPAINT and MODIFY your helmet to make the color match your cloak (most IRG goes for Krylon Fire Engine Red or similar and I too swear by Krylon).

Best bet rite now? Keep a lookout for an affordable one on eBay or Y!Auction and start saving money if going for Altmann or Fan Casted ones.

3. Budget
From 1. you then have to see your budget.
IMHO, it's a MUST to use Velvet for the Cloak regardless of which type of velvet you use. Velvet is an essential part of the IRG, just like the helmet.
What underneath it is up to you and your need for comfort unless you're planning to flash it like CE version.

Seriously, I feel it's easier if we talk in person to answer any questions you have. My IRG Costumes knowledge is a bit rusty (especially CE as my comics either somewhere in my room or borrowed by somebody) but think we can get somewhere. :wink: I also will be redoing completely my IRG one of these days as I want to go for an ROTJ one and ROTS one while using the same helmet. :P

Post by 9 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:42 pm

nevertheless ur IRG knowledge is really amazing! i would probably never know all those if you didnt post it here. Hehe

If i were to seriously choose to do IRG...probably do the no.1, with velvet cloak....for the design and shape of the helmet...the cloak version seem to suit it, makes the whole thing impressive. (can accessorize less underneath...lol...no armour...save $)

Too bad no kena 10million toto....hur hur....if not i start an army of IRG in singapore with my friends. Muaahahahaa

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:14 am

9 wrote:(can accessorize less underneath...lol...no armour...save $)
That's true... You can even be nude beneath... :lol:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

lordtyranno

Post by lordtyranno » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi Haldir,

Why didnt u tell him you are unhappy...U were happy enough to continue to work with him right?

"yet it can't survive an idiot's poor handling for a month!"

if im that idiot u are referring as, I will buy you and exchange a brand new Don Post helmet for u...untrimmed, unmodified and unpainted.

This was the agreement we had, to borrow one day and do up all the modifications for u. U did ask us to keep for u until yr room is ready to receive it back when it has more space.

Im willing to spend the money to buy u another one if u are unhappy but kindly let me know is ok...

=)

Return to “The Academy”