ICOMM System

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

Skyguy

ICOMM System

Post by Skyguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 am

I have been thinking of getting the ROM/FX trooper comms lately but I have just come upon another auto static burst comm system called ICOMM which is cheaper.

Anyone has already got this & is it gd? 8)
Andrew Chow - TD 4668 <GOOD DIRT>
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

"Always loyal to the EMPIRE"

mosske

Post by mosske » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am

Never heard of it. Got a link, vode?
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

mosske wrote:Never heard of it. Got a link, vode?
BOSS, i came upon this at FISD website. this guy's name is Jim (TK6294). there are a couple of videos in the link of him demonstrating this comm. Its cheaper than ROM/FX for sure. And its pretty simple & straightforward to use. 8)

I have checked with him if it works with our FIRE FOX throat Mic & Amplifier from SL. He said it should but can't guarantee. The ICOMM system is meant to work with AKER amplifier (From USA).

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... 14832&st=0
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

Starkiller21

Post by Starkiller21 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

There's a thread on this in the 501st forum:

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62027
TK/TI/ID/TA-7570 <CAPTAIN>
501st Legion - Singapore Garrison
Campus Superintendent
Galactic Academy - Hosnian Prime Campus

mosske

Post by mosske » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Looks like a very cool set!

I've tried ROMFX and Trooper Comm and the problem with both is that they run using VOX, which automatically activates when you speak. Problem is, it goes off on its own in a noisy environment. I remember once I was in the Lucasfilm office trooping for a TV interview with Dave Filoni and my static burst kept shooting off non-stop on its own bcos of the environmental noise. There is a sensitivity setting which works sometimes but when you stand near something loud, your static burst shoots off on its own again. In the end, I gave up on both models.
The ICOMM has a PTT button so you can manually control when its on and off. Something very important to have!

Anyone tempted enough to try?
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

:twisted: I think I'll sacrifice myself and go ahead to order 1 set and try it out on the FIRE FOX throat mic and amplifier from SL. Will update u guys on it's performance.
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi guys, i have just received the ICOMM system together with the AKER Voice Amplifier today. Will try it out over the wkend and let your know the result.

Stay tune bro's & Sis's! :lol:

501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

mosske

Post by mosske » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Cool! :)
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Sun May 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi fellow troopers. I've tested out the ICOMM system with our existing SimLim bought amplifier & FireFox throat mic. Everything turns out well and meet my requirement. As usual, because of the uncompatible socket sizes, Adaptors of 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack must be used if you want to use both the throat mic & the FIREFOX's PTT with the new ICOMM system. :lol:

As you can see from the below image, the ICOMM package comes with the ICOMM module itself, a PTT cable (3.5mm jack so no adaptor required) and a 3.5mm cable to connect the module to the amplifier. Operation manual is included. The module has a internal 3.6v lithium battery and according to the seller, it should last a really long time since the main power comes from the amplifier itself.

The ICOMM module works fine either with or w/o the PTT function. Furthermore, 8 different static burst sounds can be made from the module. We can either set it to Random static burst mode or you can just set it to individual mode with the one you like.

Personally, i would prefer to use back the PTT cable from FIREFOX because the PTT button is easier to press. But you will have to add in a adaptor if FIREFOX PTT is used. As you can see from the image below, the PTT button from ICOMM is really small and kinda flimsy. But this is just my preference. 8)

ImageImage

Btw, i have also bought the AKER Voice amplfier which the seller (Jim Sauter, TK6294) recommended to use with his ICOMM. After testing & comparing it with our SimLim amplifier, i prefer the AKER Voice amplifier. :wink: To me, it sounds better and its size is slimer. No external batteries are needed as it is built in with rechargerble lithium batteries.

It also comes with a headset mic & a MP3 Patch cable which are not in this image.

Below are some images i took of my COMMS setup for your reference.

COMMS Setup with PTT

Image On the Right is MP3 player for Troop Chatter/Music. On the Left is ICOMM Module.

COMMS Setup w/o PTT

Image On the Right is MP3 player for Troop Chatter/Music. On the Left is ICOMM Module.

I will bring my comms setup for all my troops from now on so if you would like to see it in real person and check out how it performs, please feel free to approach me yah. :lol:

Oh, one last note! Lately, i think the seller (Jim Sauter, TK6294) is also selling a wireless headset microphone which works with the ICOMM module as well. As the name says it, its is wireless so theres no cable linking ur mic to the module itself. For better picture of it, you may want to check out these link.
http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8256

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

shaun

Post by shaun » Sun May 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Thats a lot of wires. :D

So the iComm is for static burst mainly? and Does a wireless mic uses the ptt button? Thanks.
TK9208, <FISD- Expert Infantryman #134>

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm

:D Yes Shaun. Quite a bundle but i think its manageable as long as they are well organise & tied up neatly. :wink:

Yes, the ICOMM creates the ststic burst mainly. It does not change the tone of your voice as what the ROM/FX does thou. As per Jim's description, the PTT can also be used with the wireless mic. You can see more details & illustration in this link, bro.
http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... cf6d24ab80

I think this seller is very reliable. I got my package really fast and he's a friendly guy. If you have extra budget, maybe you can go for this wireless option together with the main setup. :twisted:
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Sun May 01, 2011 5:12 pm

8) Oh guys, i forgot to mention, the elastic velco chest strap which you saw inthe images i posted is not included in Jim's package. I bought it on my own at Homefix. It is from the same brand as our trustworthy velco straps (VELCO).
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

Skyguy

Post by Skyguy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:57 pm

:( Bros & Sis's, sorry but I have made a mistake. The FIREFOX PTT cannot be used on the ICOMM system. Only the throat mic can work via a adaptor with the ICOMM system.

You will have to use the PTT which cmes together with the ICOMM module package if you wants to use the PTT function. Sorry for the wrong infor, guys. :wink:
501st LEGION
Singapore Garrison
(FISD)

mosske

Post by mosske » Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for sharing, bro! :)
I'm curious to see in person what you sound like with it.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

mosske

Post by mosske » Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 am

Btw, the Aker voice projection speaker is very good! I haven't used it yet but I hear from some of the troopers in the US and Australia that its fantastic! There's a 10watt and 12 watt version. The 12watt is slightly thicker than the 10watt but definitely works better in a noisy convention type environment. Still slimmer than our local Sim Lim speaker.

If anyone is interested, there's a seller on eBay that's selling it pretty cheap(USD$39.99), with shipping to Singapore that's less that USD$10.
Seller is yallstore : http://myworld.ebay.com/yallstore/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
Here's the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/AKER-MR1505-Waistba ... 1c13c2e31c
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Return to “The Academy”