Next Up Biker Scout aka TB project!!

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

recon

Next Up Biker Scout aka TB project!!

Post by recon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 am

Hi guys,

Since im alrdy done with the TK bit unless i would be going for a TD conversion..ahah, next up TB project..yikes...slow and paintful process.

Would need the contacts for the Armor parts, Imperial Tailor, Shoes, Material etc and you guys slow and paitience guidance towards assembling and putting together a TB. Tks

1) Armor/Helm set - Kropserkel (Fully Assembled/Trimmed set)
2) Jumpsuit - Black Polyester Viscose type with Paddings
3) Inner vest
4) Cumberband with Pouches
5) Boots
6) Biker Scout Pistol (Hyperfirm version)
Last edited by recon on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Re: Need help/advice in doing up a biker scout or stormtroop

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:15 pm

recon wrote:Hi guys,

Im thinking of doing up a movie accurate biker scout or stormtrooper costume thus would need your advice, guidance and help along the way

Here are some questions that i have in mind:

1) Which is more conducive to wear in terms of fitting and comfort level in SG hot and humid climate?

2) Given my height 175m, weight 70kg and of medium build, would i be more suited for a biker scout or stormtrooper role?

3) Which are recommended retailers/brands for helmets, armor, gloves, inner suit, boots and weapon props in terms of quality, durability and realism?

4) Where do i get my helms spray painted and detailed?

Tks for the help and assistance.
1. suiting up indoors or outdoors?
2. both will be good.
3. make up ur mind 1st. these questions comes later.
4. see #3.
I'm a clean scout, so dun dirty my armour on purpose.

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Just to add on, you must also consider the following things:

1. Your Budget?
In term of pricing, depending on from whom you gotten the parts, how much you do parts of it yourself, type of helmet or other parts chosen (Eg: ABS Helmet vs Fiberglass)

2. Time to Spare, to wait for the parts to arrive or be completed, put them together; Level of skills at working on these stuffs (Drilling, Pasting, Basic Sewing :lol: figuring out instructions, glueing etc).

Dun worry, if you got the money, can always do the other armor another time like what some of us are doing (or like me, "complete" another armor while waiting for the 1st one to arrive and be put together :shock: )

recon

Post by recon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:21 pm

Just some clarifications to haldir and frodo queries:

Guess i would go for biker scout outfit first, if time and funds allow would do up a stormtrooper next. From my guess, correct me if im wrong, from the type of inner clothing used, biker scout would be a cooler option for use in outdoors/indoors as compared to stormtrooper, which uses a diving suit.

1) Budget isnt really a concern to me, but the choice of material must be strong, durable and accurate typically lancer grade. Time isnt really a luxury to me due to work commitments thus would prefer minimal modifications and work needed to be done. From what i understand, the following are the recommended materials for the biker scout costume:

Helmet: Fiberglass (MLC V3?)
Armor: Abs or Fiberglass (MC?)
Flightsuit: Material? Overseas or Local?
Cumberband: Overseas or Local?
Gloves: Overseas or Local?
Boots: Overseas or Local?
Blaster Pistol: Resin or Toy better?

2) Speaking of level of skills. I did a bit of modelling but think i lack the tools needed to drill, cut, mod or paint not to mention sewing which i suck at. Would need u guys who are pros or veterans in this line to help and advise.

Lastly, whom do i contact on the purchase of suit, gloves, helmet, body armor, boots etc as well as tailoring/modification/painting svcs?

Tks for your time and assistance

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:00 pm

recon wrote:Just some clarifications to haldir and frodo queries:

Guess i would go for biker scout outfit first, if time and funds allow would do up a stormtrooper next. From my guess, correct me if im wrong, from the type of inner clothing used, biker scout would be a cooler option for use in outdoors/indoors as compared to stormtrooper, which uses a diving suit.

1) Budget isnt really a concern to me, but the choice of material must be strong, durable and accurate typically lancer grade. Time isnt really a luxury to me due to work commitments thus would prefer minimal modifications and work needed to be done. From what i understand, the following are the recommended materials for the biker scout costume:

Helmet: Fiberglass (MLC V3?)
Armor: Abs or Fiberglass (MC?)
Flightsuit: Material? Overseas or Local?
Cumberband: Overseas or Local?
Gloves: Overseas or Local?
Boots: Overseas or Local?
Blaster Pistol: Resin or Toy better?

2) Speaking of level of skills. I did a bit of modelling but think i lack the tools needed to drill, cut, mod or paint not to mention sewing which i suck at. Would need u guys who are pros or veterans in this line to help and advise.

Lastly, whom do i contact on the purchase of suit, gloves, helmet, body armor, boots etc as well as tailoring/modification/painting svcs?

Tks for your time and assistance
i do see abit of contradiction over here. u said, "Guess i would go for biker scout outfit first, if time and funds allow would do up a stormtrooper next." then, "Budget isnt really a concern to me, ..."

anyways, u can prob read this thread 1st... viewtopic.php?t=1907

or u can goto http://www.bikerscout.net/ and register yourself and look at the threads.

finally, u can pm PaulK, my Master Shifu.

fyi, my bucket (not those in the toilet!) is MLC v3. armour is ABS from MC. all soft armour from my friendly local imperial tailor. gloves from ebay. boots also from my friendly local master shoe-maker. blaster from states.

recon

Post by recon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Tks bro Frodo for your advise.

I didnt mean to contradict myself, but doing the TB is my utmost pirority. Why i said that i would consider doing a TK later in the near future if time/funds permit cos both characters are my fav, just that i like TB abit more.

Comfort and humidity levels i guess both are almost the same, but maybe just a feeling that divesuit, which is worn below the TK armor, maybe alittle hotter due to lack of air circulation.

i did read up on hybrid's thead but still am quite clueless as to where did he bought the helmet, armor parts, suit, gloves and shoes from.

Did you made your cumberband/waist pouch locally? If yes, could you provide the details/location of your tailor? Same goes for the flight suit and boots? tks

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 pm

One thing to note is that TB take longer to build-up. TKs are a lot faster and literally, you could be done within a few days. A top notch TB can take a couple of months.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:49 pm

Actually, you don't necessary need to wear Diving Suit for TK or TX; many TK initially was or are still wearing Polyester Lycra Bodysuit, similar to that of a full body Swimming Suit minus all the paddings, linings and extra seams for decoration purposes or ease of moving body parts when competing (while swimming or surfing etc).
Locally, it can be done by the Dance Clothing Shop.

Even for Diving Suit, I'm sure those who live in the Tropical area know you're highly not recommended to use the Neopane (aka Cold Water or Deep Diving?) kind.

Why Diving Suit is chosen is that it's thicker than the regular Lycra Bodysuit and it can be bought off the rack instead of tailored apart from not so shiny (correct me here if I'm wrong ;) )

For Scout, yes, as Tham said; most of us had our Jumpsuits (Cotton or Polyester-Viscose[?] blend) done locally by our "Imperial Tailor" BUT at the current rate of orders from factories, shipyards, construction site etc she have to handle (making our Jumpsuit, uniform etc is just her side-line job!), not recommended to place any "rush" orders till like after CNY :shock: (she say one, not me :lol: ).
And there will always be the chance that you have to go for "fitting sessions" at least a week or even more apart even tho' the costume and parts had been completed as in her rush, she might make certain parts too big or too tight etc.

For Tailored Cummerbund and Pouches locally, so far got 2 recommendation:
The above said tailor OR another who had done at least 2 regular sets before this.
For the later, she is only a regular tailor who have a good amount of experiences making costumes so you got to provide your own materials, references pictures, diagrams, templates and maybe even measurements, apart from be ready to face slight inaccuracy which she might or might not be able to fix to fit your desire.

Unless you got the money to spare and willing to "risk it" (in term of fittings as you're only sending measurements which might not had been taken correctly), there are some people in US making excellent ones. Links had been provided at BSN Forum.

Local Imperial Tailor address will be given when you confirmed you're ready to get the parts done. ;)

As for which armor is most comfortable in our weather, in a way it depend on how well ventilated your helmet is or how well the armor parts had been fitting/trimmed to your size and of course the weather. :P ABS Armor are relatively light so it's the armor of choice unless in cases when it's not available like for certain "uncommon" armors.

Heck, TB Armor can still be a warmer costume to wear than TK if you go ahead and do it like me; I always wear a T-Shirt and maybe even Arm Warmer under my Jumpsuit (force of habit and can't imagine how my jumpsuit will smell if I dun wear the T-Shirt). And my current TB Jumpsuit is Cotton Drill, the kind meant for pants.

Dun forget also for "Movie Accurate" TB, you are also wearing a Short-Sleeves Vest apart from the Cummerbund over your Jumpsuit so technically, it IS thicker than wearing TK (Bodysuit & Armor).

Being made from Cotton doesn't necessarily means more cooler and Polyester these days dun necessary means no Air Circulation.

And FYI, we DO NOT freely post the link to where we gotten our armors and helmets as they're unlicensed items, in order to "protect" our suppliers from bored LFL Lawyers. Link will be pass along when you confirmed taking up this project.

Just my 0.02

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:49 pm

the diving suit of the rack is usually neoprene material. neoprene is an insulation material. Haldir is right.

Hybrid's stuff is from a similar source as mine except the blaster.

pm PaulK or MossKe for more info/criteria to join 501st.

recon

Post by recon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Paul: Tks for the advise. I guess in my case, will probably take 1/2 a year or more to complete my TB if everything goes smoothly. Kinda of busy nowadays due to work commitments and massive scale projects.

Haldir: Tks for the nifty bit of information, even though its quite abit to digest especially in the area of suits/armor/helms materials :lol:

I guess if i were to make a TK outfit after my TB, i would go for the polyester lycra as dun really need all the features of that of a body suit.

As for the jumpsuit, hmm i think i would go for vicose or polyester/cotton if its available, instead of purely cotton, not sure if there is a vicose/polyester combo. Good for green movement and energy saving and for lazy ppl who dun like to iron. :P

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01 ... se_the.php

Looks like i have to wait till after CNY 2009 before i can start tailoring my jumpsuit, meantime can focus on helmet, armor parts and accessories. Would defintely need you guy's help with references, templates and sources to purchase the correct material when the time comes.

As for the cumberband, what do you guys propose, should i got for the local tailor or purchase from overseas? I suppose even if the cumberband ordered from overseas, dun really conform to requirements, minor adjustments/alterations could be done with the local imperial tailor help?

Haldir bro, tks for the caution. Yes im interested to take up the project to build my first TB.

Frodo: Hmm diving suit made from neoprene material, doesnt sound too good in terms of "insulation" aspects. Think i would stick with polyester lycra. But TK would be a later project for me.
:wink:

mosske

Post by mosske » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey Recon, here's a tip. If you're thinking of doing both suits anyway, my advise is to start with the TK first.
You can order the entire armor parts from a single supplier, while the rest of the pieces can almost totally be sourced locally in one shopping trip (save the boots). Once your armor parts arrive, you can have the entire suit up and ready in a day or 2 tops.
TB would make a terrific 2nd project, or concurrent project. An excellent quality suit like what some of the guys here have(Frodo, Paul, Haldir and Hybrid), takes about 5 to 6 months to slowly put together.
Just my 2 cents worth, buddy. Anyway, I'll ring you later about membership requirements. :)
Last edited by mosske on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

chakster

Post by chakster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:11 pm

mosske wrote:Hey Recon, here's a tip. If you're thinking of doing both suits anyway, my advise is to start with the TK first.
You can order the entire armor parts from a single supplier, while the rest of the pieces can almost totally be sourced locally in one shopping trip (save the boots). Once your armor parts arrive, you can have the entire suit up and ready in a day or day tops.
TB would make a terrific 2nd project, or concurrent project.
I agree. I started with the TB first and that took me 4 months. Just to get to a wearable stage. The TK was done in literally 2 nights with help from Mosske. :P

And deep deep down... you know you wanna be a stormie... :D
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 pm

One thing that you don't want to get into a situation is to get put of with so many things to do on one costume. The TB suit is a difficult suit to fabricate and it will take many months. If you're busy with work, it'll take even longer and the project starts wearing down on you with little progress made. You can't go to a one stop place to get TB suit. It's just so many places to go to for each item.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

recon

Post by recon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 am

Mosske: Yes sir. After having quite a long chat with you, decided to do a TK first as the full body armor/helmet/boots can be ordered via the source recommended by mosske. Polyester Lycra suit and E11 Blaster (Hasbro ver) and add on parts could also be purchased locally. The only thing that is needed to be done is doning everything and making adjustments then i would br ready for trooping. Would need you guys help/assistance then. TB would be a side project in the meantime :wink:

Chakster: haha actually i was struggling inside, which to go for first as both are my favourite characters and iconic ones as well. It doesnt really make a difference whether im a TK or TB afterall we are all clones. :D

Paul: Yes sir. I agree. Mosske explained to me that its better to do the TK first as its relatively easy as compared to TB, which is rather an intricate and tedious process as parts like suit, cumberband, boots cant be purchased online or available locally but have to be tailored/manufactured by an imperial tailor specifically. Worse thing, is that you have to go to different places to purchase the materials yourself and deliver them to the imperial tailor. :? In addition, the experience/knowledge gained through in the process of building a TK and while trooping with others, would help in the building of a TB next. You get to enjoy trooping while at the same time take your time to build another outfit. :wink:

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 am

Good thinking there!
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

Return to “The Academy”