Need advice about costuming

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

Redblur

Need advice about costuming

Post by Redblur » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 pm

hi, i want to ask something

is this biker scout Armor is a good armor? (http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... rsale.html)

i'm looking for storm trooper armor too,but it's too expensive,my budget is under US$400 :( (still a student now),can someone give me advice what armor should i buy?

thx

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Hello Redblur,

not to say I want to say, it's not my intention to dash your hope but just want to set expectations right. If I'm not wrong, just the Biker Scout helmet alone will probably set you back by at least US$200. Even if you sourced the cheaper Rubies version, the hard plastic body armor alone is in the US$400 range. These prices do not factor in shipping rates. On top of that, there's still the 'soft parts' like the overalls, boots, gloves, etc. Think the Biker Scout costumers here can chime in with more info. Don't rush in any decision. :)

Do you desire to be a Biker Scout or are you simply sourcing for 'anything Imperial' within the US$400 range?

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:42 pm

The TIE Fighter Pilot costume is probably the least expensive amongst the armour costumes... My first set cost me about SGD700 and that is about 5 years ago... In my personal opinion, USD400 might probably be sufficient for a AT-ST Driver costume or Naval Trooper costume...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Re: Need advice about costuming

Post by Haldir » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:19 am

I am giving this opinion based on what I got to know from one of our troopers and comparision to my own little experiences on this armor. ;)
Redblur wrote:is this biker scout Armor is a good armor? (http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... rsale.html)
Well, it's good for those on a budget and still want quality armor but I understand, between SC Scout Armor and Kropserkel's (USD250-350 back in 2005, NOT including the Shipping Cost) Armor Quality, KS one is much better and the kit is "more well done".

BUT KS loose out in term of accuracy to the current "supplier" of our current and upcoming Biker Scouts whose cost of armor is above USD400 NOT including the Helmet and Shipping Cost.

Redblur wrote:i'm looking for storm trooper armor too,but it's too expensive,my budget is under US$400 :( (still a student now),can someone give me advice what armor should i buy?
Am sorry to say that with that budget, it's impossible for Biker Scout...... :(

SC Armor cost USD375.00 (UP from USD325 the last time I checked several months ago) NOT including Shipping Cost.

Rubies Helmet will be another USD80+ off eBay while Shipping can cost at least USD30++.
Don Post Helmet will probably cost around double that price by the time its eBay Auction ended as it's getting very rare. Either way, you still have to modify and repaint it.
KS ABS Helmet Kit goes around USD180+ NOT including Shipping Cost.
Fiberglass Helmet goes around USD300++

Tailor Made Jumpsuit will range from SGD70 to SGD90+.
Alternatively, a Normal Collared Navy Blue or White Worksuit from Army Market will cost around SGD15 while the Dylon Multi-Purpose Dye for dyeing the Worksuit to Black will cost additional ~SGD4 and you need at least 2 cannisters.

Customed Made Cummerbund will cost ~SGD60++++
If self-made, Cotton Drill goes for ~SGD4/m while "sponge padding" a couple more dollars. Velcro, Thread, Elastic Band etc will be additional cost.

For Boots, base High-Cut Shoes cost ~SGD80, Vinyl SGD12+++/m and GOOP Glue ~SGD9.90 per tube. Velcro is additional cost.
Getting a Shoemaker to transform the Shoes to Boots will cost SGD200++

Balaclava or Lycra Swimming Hood will cost around USD12 to SGD30+.

Pistol will be many, many more USD depending on which type you gotten and how complete it is, whether fully-formed or Kit or Kenner Toy. Or it can come cheap if made from scratch.

So seriously, even for Biker Scout, you need a LOT more than USD400 to complete it.

As for what USD400 can buy you, like what GetzJedi, it might buy you AT-ST or Naval Trooper or maybe Death Star Gunner Costume.
For them, the bulk of the cost will go towards the helmet which can range around USD180++ for Kit kind (and not including shipping cost) to up to double for a ready to wear, and maybe the boots if accuracy anal towards accuracy and want to use the East German Boots; worse if got a pair customed made.

The cheapest Imperial Costume? Maybe Imperial Crewman (Grey or Black) assuming you dun get accuracy anal over the Boots.

HyBRiD

Re: Need advice about costuming

Post by HyBRiD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 am

Redblur wrote:hi, i want to ask something
is this biker scout Armor is a good armor? (http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... rsale.html)
i'm looking for storm trooper armor too,but it's too expensive,my budget is under US$400 :( (still a student now),can someone give me advice what armor should i buy?
thx

Well here's the rough breakdown on scout trooper set

Helmet 300usd no paintwork yet
Armor set 478usd
Overall, cumberbund. Pouches 205sgd
Boots, material, workmanship 285sgd
Gloves 50usd
Blaster pistol 80usd

I would urge u to save a bit more or maybe buy parts slowly if u want. Just to let you know that i've spent all that money building a scout trooper that's close to the screen used one so maybe u can cut quite a bit of cost on some items
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force

Redblur

Post by Redblur » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am

Thx for the information you gave to me,

Well i'm just looking for the armor Kit(Or the Hard part of the armor,Not the Helmet,Riffle,and other parts)
$400 ++ Is ok for me, as long the price is under $1.000 :D

@Haldir
what is KS website?
hmm the SC armor cost about $440 (include the shipping cost),and looks like the assmbly is a bit hard for me :(

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:29 pm

another method:

try save more....by the time you're 18, you could have saved a good amount to get the TK armor you want...after that, you can apply for 501st straight away...no harm done and its something you really want..

I'm 'bout in the same boat as you are...so i understand the urge to get your very own armor asap....

good luck...be it saving money or getting your biker scout...and post some pics when you get them, okay? :D
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Redblur, all armor kits require some form of assembly. Trimming may even be required to get the right fit. You don't need to be in a buying frenzy just because The Clone Wars is around the corner or just because you feel you're missing out on something. Take your time to research the parts and plan your budget (but I must add your sudden increase in disposable income from 400 to 1000 is very convenient) :)

Boba_Fett

Post by Boba_Fett » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Redblur wrote:Thx for the information you gave to me,

Well i'm just looking for the armor Kit(Or the Hard part of the armor,Not the Helmet,Riffle,and other parts)

@Haldir
what is KS website?
hmm the SC armor cost about $440 (include the shipping cost),and looks like the assmbly is a bit hard for me :(
:shock: $400++ is ok, as long as under $1000? You sure have a huge tolerance in budgeting, :D
Do! Or do not! There is no try

Red_5

Post by Red_5 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:
Redblur wrote:Thx for the information you gave to me,

@Haldir
what is KS website?
:shock: $400++ is ok, as long as under $1000? You sure have a huge tolerance in budgeting, :D
I guess, if you want to build or own a "armored costume", a budget of 1k is what you would be looking at realistically. If not fully armored than would be cheaper alternatives.
Last edited by Red_5 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities that some consider to be unnatural.....is it possible to learn those powers? YES, Not from a Jedi..."

HyBRiD

Post by HyBRiD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:17 pm

to be honest if u want accuracy, i suggest u save more. if u spend less to buy cheaper, when u upgrade, u end up spending more. think carefully before making a decision. maybe getting an abs helmet would cut down the cost. still as detailed but about 1/2 price?

Red 5, think i spent more than 1k. lolz. poor me this mth..

Red_5

Post by Red_5 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm

HyBRiD wrote:to be honest if u want accuracy, i suggest u save more. if u spend less to buy cheaper, when u upgrade, u end up spending more. think carefully before making a decision. maybe getting an abs helmet would cut down the cost. still as detailed but about 1/2 price?

Red 5, think i spent more than 1k. lolz. poor me this mth..
hehe, yeah bro i feel your pain....but think and focus on the joy that is coming.........shortly, soon.
"The Darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities that some consider to be unnatural.....is it possible to learn those powers? YES, Not from a Jedi..."

HyBRiD

Post by HyBRiD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 pm

yeah.. hope everything done by this mth.. which i highly doubt. lolz i seem to be missing out on a lot of fun

Redblur

Post by Redblur » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Yeah,im looking for not full armored Armor..Specialy the TK armor or TB armor!

The armor is first,and the Other expensive price parts like Helmet is the second to buy :oops:

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 pm

oh er...TK is full armored...its a stormtrooper... and ner vod, the hard parts are the more expensive ones...
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Return to “The Academy”