Need advice about costuming

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

mosske

Post by mosske » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 am

Most of the troopers here have a 'voice amplification system' which is simply a microphone inside the helmet with a speaker under the chest plate. This allows the trooper to speak with the helmet on. The sound comes out nice and loud from under the chest. Some of the troopers also have sound boards connected to this system which adds in a static burst at the end of each sentense, much like a walkie-talkie system. We don't use the voice amp all the time...mostly only in events where we need to mingle and communicate with the public.

Another system some of the guys have is an inbuilt walkie talkie system. The walkie talkies are small enough to be mounted inside the helmet. A throat mic is worn around the neck under the neck seal, with a PTT(push to talk) button wired up the trooper's sleeve into the glove. In order for the trooper to open comms and communicate, they just have to press 2 fingers together for the PTT button and speak. The sound is picked up directly from the voice box via the throat mic and all troopers within a 5 klick radius who have the same system can hear and respond. Its very useful for events in large areas where we get spilt up over a wide area.

Lastly, a few guys have CPU fans mounted in their helmets. These are placed just behind the frown holes so they suck air from the outside of these holes and blow them inwards.

As for Chingay, everything was coordinated using whistles. The area was so noisy that even walkie talkies wouldn't have worked. We have specific whistle blows to give commands like stopping, turning, starting and also to keep timing during marching. If you look at the video closely, you will notice the imperial officer blowing a whistle to command the troops. Its much easier that way.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

lloonnee2

Post by lloonnee2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Hmm... sounds interesting, I'd probably get a small mic. in the helmet. As for the Boba Fett costume, my friend was kinda deterred by the average price of 3k. So he's decided to join me in as a Stormtrooper :) , and hopefully we'll have enough money by the end of Sec 4.

Cheers~! :D
Hoping to get my first stormtrooper uniform!

SeriouslyKiller

Post by SeriouslyKiller » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:12 pm

I will maybe install the PTT mic, and a POWDERFUL FAN TO KEEP ME COOL!

Cheers!~~~~
~Saving for my First Storm Trooper Suit~

I'm with lloonnee2!~

lloonnee2

Post by lloonnee2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm was wondering, where do the members of the 501st legion get their E-11 blasters from? I found this website selling a E-11 blaster, made and painted. (http://www.cushmanpaintball.com/Blasterreplica.html)

In any case, I was thinking of buying a Hasbro blaster and doing some minor modification.

(SeriouslyKiller is my classmate, a new member on these forums)
Hoping to get my first stormtrooper uniform!

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Um..Hasbro E-11 blasters can be bought from ebay or Simply Toys..

Call up Simply Toys before you go, they may not have stock...these blasters are really popular items, remember the 501st Legion buys them too...so better hurry if you found out there are stocks.
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

mosske

Post by mosske » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 am

Sev-like wrote:Um..Hasbro E-11 blasters can be bought from ebay or Simply Toys..

Call up Simply Toys before you go, they may not have stock...these blasters are really popular items, remember the 501st Legion buys them too...so better hurry if you found out there are stocks.
Whenever anyone of us (501st) discovers that there are stock of these Hasbro Stormtrooper blasters, we usually buy up almost every piece in stock. We normally like to buy extra so we can pass them to any new members coming in. These blasters area a rare commodity.

Once you get the blaster, you will need to get the conversion kit off eBay. Do a search for 'Hasbro E11 conversion kit'. A set usually costs about USD$30. This will turn the inaccurate Hasbro E11 into a more accurate looking one.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

SeriouslyKiller

Post by SeriouslyKiller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 am

Oh.... So, we still nid to get the conversion kit to make it more accurate?
Whoa. My pocket is going to be burnt O_o

I'm with lloonnee2!~

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:58 am

Its not really a need, but rather a want..since the aim is to be as movie accurate as possible, you would want the blaster to look the same as well...

And yeah, it's an expensive hobby..for us students..not really for those working adults..
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo

Post by Frodo,Naruto,Weirdo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 am

correction bro, it is also expensive hobby for us working adults. :wink:
I'm a clean scout, so dun dirty my armour on purpose.

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:11 am

oh yeah, correction, it's an expensive hobby for some working adults, some working adults don't seem to find it too taxing.. :D
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 pm

That's why we always want to use quality items and ended up paying more so that our Costumes and Armor can last for years to make the money spent all worthwhile. ;)

SeriouslyKiller

Post by SeriouslyKiller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:10 pm

So.. can anyone help me check if there is stock at Simply Toys, or have their adress???

I'm with lloonnee2!~

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Yep...totally agreed..

Eh, there's one simply toys in Suntec city...beside the cinema [can't remember the name] and another in Raffles place mrt station...

Maybe you can ask around the 501st members and see if they have an extra and are willing to sell you one.
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

mosske

Post by mosske » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:07 pm

The extras the 501st guys have are for new 501st members.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 pm

oh...yeah, and you said you gave out the last one already...

Oh well, guess its not for sale..and thanks anyway :D
Ron Chiang
TX 8700
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Return to “The Academy”