Padme yellow picnic dress

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

Darsha Assant

Padme yellow picnic dress

Post by Darsha Assant » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:00 pm

*hint hint* where to get it good and cheap? for *hint hint*

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:46 pm

You making it yourself or tailoring it locally? :wink:

Well, if on a tight budget, you can do it for an affordable price assuming 1) You make many of the parts yourself
2) Use substitute materials like Polyester and Cotton instead of Silk
3) Lucky: Know people who can do tailoring or even embroidery cheaply or found the substitude materials at cheapo price

For a start, reading through Maggie's Report on it will be a good idea, especially the "Construction Details and Making of Tips" Page:
http://www.padawansguide.com/flowered.shtml

You can also check out the thread on this dress over at TFN Costuming & Props Forum (this may be the latest thread)
http://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_an ... /14866854/

If you are serious in making this outfit, I can help to offer some help in finding the materials together tho' sewing part is limited as I can't do beyond a Tunic, Robe and Cloak yet (and that included Corset) :cry: . :wink:

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Already read those two. Grandma doesn't know how to sew the blouse and corset and neither do I.... :( Got any ready made ones?

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:16 pm

Off my head, you can try using Commercial Patterns to make the Blouse. I think Simplicity did released 2 patterns that can be used for it but off my head, I don't think I own it as wasn't interested in this Outfit (I don't wear anything Sleevesless lah). :shock: From the pattern Maggie used for hers, it's just a simple "Chemise" or "Gypsy Top" or Peasent Blouse which I have the intruction to (and I did intended to get the same pattern Maggie used for hers for my Ver. 1.2 X3 Phoenix Blouse)

Corset, you can make it on your own using Katherine's Corset Instruction as long as your Bust-Waist-Hip Proportion is not too much like me:
http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/shieldmaiden_corset.html
(Yes, I know it's for Eowyn SM but it can be modify to go around the bust and have the correct no. of panels)
Can use lots of Hard Interfacings and if you can afford it, metal bonning (I'm suppose to order more Spiral Metal Bonning after the Costume Shop used up all of my 2m for my X3 Phoenix Corset)

The skirt, just use the popular Semi-Circle Pattern lah! :wink: 2-3 of them and you gotten a gathered skirt. I have draft such pattern for my LOTR Elven Archer Skirt, Fellowship Elven Cloak, Snow Bunny Padme Cloak, Beauxbatons Travelling Cape and soon Eowny SM Skirt and it isn't that hard as long as you got a floor! Heck, maybe you can use mine too as long you don't mind the waist width. It's usually recommanded if want less bulk around the waist; used the panels pattern for my Hobbit Skirt and it feel heavy around the waist! :oops:

The Flowers can use ready made ones gotten from Arab Street or Chinatown (NOT Spotlight as they charged more)

Seriously, maybe we can meet one day to discuss on how to make this outfit cheaply and quick. ;) I got the Dressing Up A Galaxy Books (yes, BOTH version) so we got a good references too. :D

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:14 pm

I dunno how to get the pattersns u see... no credit card. :(

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:02 pm

Spotlight have most lah; tho newer ones tend to take up to 1 year to be released here (we follow the Australia Stock, instead of US) while trademarked ones like Disney and Wizard of Oz not available.

I gotten majority of mine from there when they go on sale which ranges from every month to a few months once (they change the brand on sale almost monthly; this month it's Vogue). Not that cheap at minimum SGD7 each but very useful to me as I'm terrible at drawing and drafting. :wink:

Hmm....looking at the pattern Obi-Dawn used for her Corset, I think I have something similar but not sure if will fit you as I took the bigger size one which is minimum Size 14 I think. But you can also just use Katherine pattern; just need to add one more measurement, which is for the Bust.

For the skirt, just use a piece or 2 of Majong or Brown Paper and a measuring tape to get the shape you need. Been there several time already and it's not that hard anymore. :D

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 pm

oOh spot light have arh. Hmm. BUt my sewing quite lousy leh. :lol: And all the embroidery to be done!!! Oh well shall do it after promos. Eh... the size is what size? as in the measurements for that size... not sure what size I am...

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Well, if you are going to ask someone to make it for your instead, let along a Costume Shop, it gonna cost Minimun SGD250, and this does NOT include the cost of the materials. :roll: There are several layers to it so will cost a lot, especially for the Corset that need to be fitted to YOUR shape.

If you want to own it, got to find a way to do it one way or another. Jamie (aka the Malaysian Anakin) had to learn Embroidery Work to be able to make this together with Catherien, with a dash of some tailoring by their usual tailor, for Cat to wear last Dec when they drop by the AoSW Exhibition. But look at the result, all WORTH IT. :wink: :wink:

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm

OK I WILL PERSEVERE AND DO IT ALL BY HAND!!!

Mum won't get/let me get a sewing machine as she says it's bad for my eyes (degree 800!) and I just broke my grandma's one... A pin got stuck in it... :cry: :cry:

K hope the latter will get fixed...

K now i shall practice sewing to a given pattern.... could do with a new top neways...

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:34 pm

Is your Grandma's Sewing Machine a portable/Carry-Around one or those big ones?

Whenever my 30 year old :cry: :cry: Janome break down, I just sent it to a Sewing Machine Shop near my house (that AMK) and they usually charge an affordable price to get it fix. If the Machine is not the mobile type, I think they charged SGD15-20 to come down to have a look at it.

About Sizing, checking one of my McCall's Patterns, Size 16 is defined as one for those with a Bust of 38" and Waist of 30". The size increase in 2s (10, 12, 14 etc) for every 2" increase in Bust or Waist Measurement. And since I'm about Size 20, my patterns tend to start from Size 14 or 16 till Size 20 or 24.

Darsha Assant

Post by Darsha Assant » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:05 pm

It's the old manual kind. I think I just broke a needle now though and got the strings stuck in the fan thingy on second sight.

Er... bust is below the thing or the widest part of the thing?

And is waist above or below bellybutton?

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Bust is over your Nipple. ;)

Waist will be usually under the Belly button. Just tie a rope around your waist to see where it is.

Maybe I can demonstrate when we meet this Sat for the Cloths District Tour?

SMS me at 93730254 as I misplaced your HP no. :P

Return to “The Academy”