any idea how much it cost to make a Darth Vader costume?

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

newcastle

any idea how much it cost to make a Darth Vader costume?

Post by newcastle » Tue May 23, 2006 1:37 pm

hey guys,

this is my first post so if its in the wrong place, moderator, kindly help me to shift it.

Anyway...here goes...

I was just wondering how much it will cost to make a Darth Vader costume?

why Darth Vader...well I am 1.9m tall, so I can be a Wookiee, Darth Vader, IG 88 to suit the height. :)

Kindly advice.
John 3:16 - I am a sinner and God is my saviour.

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

YES!!!! VADER!!! We have a VADER!!!! YEAH!!! Welcome my lord!!!! :twisted:
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed May 24, 2006 2:12 am

This looks pretty decent but its only the hardparts and the price excludes shipping...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darth-Vader-costume ... dZViewItem

I'd estimate the total cost for a fairly-accurate vader costume to be between USD2.5k to USD3k (inclusive of shipping). To bring the cost a little lower, the fabrics can be tailored locally with the necessary templates.

A lower-end costume would the the Rubies Supreme Edition, but it will require some improvements to be accepted into the 501st Legion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-DARTH-VAD ... dZViewItem
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed May 24, 2006 11:43 am

Hiya! :) Welcome to the family! ;)

Just to add on to what had been mentioned, if you have the skills and time, can also try making certain armor parts from scratch which will greatly reduce the cost further. Our first Vader (Shawn/Chakster) made his except the Helmet from scratch and I bet if given even more time and more/better resources, will look even better. I had read too several time online and in SW Insider how some people with limited skills made most parts themselves, sometime using the simpliest thing found at home or in the nearby stores and it turned out great. I understand that the Malaysian's Vader (Rahmat) also made some parts himself; just before last Month's Movie Carnival Event, he made his own Shin Guards from Sintra he gotten from USA.

As for Soft Parts, yes, it's better to make some locally. 1m of 48" Matte Vinyl/Fake Leather for the Bodysuit cost SGD6-7 at Arab Street or People's Park SC. I do recommand adding in some thin lining to give the Vinyl some "Bulk" and help absorb some of your sweats. For tailoring, as it's Vinyl and has to be quilted, will cost around SGD100-300 depending on the tailor. You will have to ask around for a reliable one as this is a major work and only some knows how to properly sew Vinyl (Sewing Machine need Walking Foot, lots of newspaper or tissue, once sew, can't modify etc etc).

For Vader's Cape and Tabbards, I discover that it's a "thin" kind of Wool that contrary to its thinness, does have some weight when worn. I have a sample of it from ROTS and had gotten close temporary to the original ESB or ROTJ one. :P Heck, the cloth I used for my LOTR Fellowship Cloak seems thin and light, made from a wool-acrylic mix, but when I turned it into the Fellowship Cloak, it was pretty heavy. :shock:

Anyway, a real good Vader, just like a Wookie or Wampa, are a "long" term kind of SW Costuming Project as most who do it don't have a Gold Mine so must make or buy the parts gradually. It can stretch from a year of work between RL, Family and Career to several years.

Why most of us buy our parts instead of making them is mostly due to our limited skills, time and resources (try getting Sintra in Singapore). And getting parts from a reliable seller will also give us a more "accurate" look to the original plus durability if the armor is treated well.

Good luck! :)

newcastle

Post by newcastle » Thu May 25, 2006 1:46 pm

wow...
looks like the cost can be in the range of $2.5 - $3.5k.

if done locally can be $1.5k.....

Let me go do some googling and see.... be cool if I can be a Darth Vader...

Then I may buy a mannequin and put one at home for vader to wear...

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu May 25, 2006 4:53 pm

You may wish to get some expert opinion & advice from the Sith Lords of the 501st Legion...

http://www.501stsithlords.com/forum/

So far, the common advice I've seen for the Vader costume is to acquire the parts separately, instead of purchasing a full set. Good luck!
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

donleow

Post by donleow » Thu May 25, 2006 5:26 pm

newcastle u can drop me a PM...and i refer u to the source we deal with...might be of useful to u.

Nickrenders

Post by Nickrenders » Mon May 29, 2006 3:35 am

Hi Jedis and starwars-crazy dudes..
happen to bum into you guys afew weeks ago.
I must admit you guys had impressive costumes and armor.
Don't you guys have a vader? I was surfing around and bum into my friend's gallery with photos of Vader in suntec.
http://sg.unices.org/photo/picture.php? ... age_id=315
http://sg.unices.org/photo/picture.php? ... age_id=318
Wish I could be taller, if so.. I would certainly be Vader.
MTFBWY
Nick
stay frosty and alert..

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Mon May 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Nickrenders wrote:Don't you guys have a vader? I was surfing around and bum into my friend's gallery with photos of Vader in suntec.
http://sg.unices.org/photo/picture.php? ... age_id=315
http://sg.unices.org/photo/picture.php? ... age_id=318
Yes, we do have a Vader in our outpost... His costume is actually endorsed by Fox...

Singapore Outpost

He's also the boss of an events company called Movie Mania. Check out their forum!
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Well, the more the merrier! :D

Not to compare one from the other as each costumer is different but to have better "choices" when the time comes when a particular character is needed for certain event or needs. Not every costumer is free all the time as we got our own RL and Career. ;)

newcastle

Post by newcastle » Wed May 31, 2006 8:36 am

hey guys..

kinda cool advice. thanks.
happen to bump into reno over the weekend by chance.

Getting excited. I am certainly looking at a Vader costume. Given my height its a toss up between a Wookiee or Vader. hahahaha
or IG - 88

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Wed May 31, 2006 8:46 am

newcastle wrote:Given my height its a toss up between a Wookiee or Vader. hahahaha
or Jar Jar Binks ... :lol:
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed May 31, 2006 12:38 pm

*Kill Jar Jar!!!! :twisted: Kill Jar Jar!!! :twisted: *

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:05 am

newcastle wrote:wow...
looks like the cost can be in the range of $2.5 - $3.5k.
More like SGD5K if you want a bad-ass movie accurate Vader costume.

I just traded for a pair of original, found parts ANH Vader chestbox red and green lights buttons, and their going rate is US$60 for the two.

A good, flawless fibreglass Vader helmet would be in the region of US$700, fibreglass shoulder armour US$500, chestbox & belt US$500(or more), fibreglass Shin Guards US$250, Outer robe US$250, Inner robe US$100, Pleated leather suit US$700, and pleated leather gloves US$150. Boots can be made locally as you don't really see them since covered by shin guards.

And if you go all the way and get yourself a Vader saber made from a real Vintage MPP, that's easily another US$1k.

Return to “The Academy”