Budget Costuming

Trainee and Cadet Costumers .... here's where you can ask the Veterans Officers all the questions you need to !

Moderators: Paul K, GetzJedi

GenXstealth

Budget Costuming

Post by GenXstealth » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Hey is there a way to make a good costume, under a tight budget. I know costuming can cost lots of money.
"If you strike me down, I will be more powerful than you think!"

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:12 am

Assemble your costume parts or sew them yourself.

But of course this will depend on what kind of costume you're looking for.

Been there, done that and still do it occasionally as some parts are just cheaper to get from normal shop or rejected clothing stores.

erase

Re: Budget Costuming

Post by erase » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 am

Which group you are joining Jedi or the Imperial? Or maybe we have some extra parts that you might need it. :)
GenXstealth wrote:Hey is there a way to make a good costume, under a tight budget. I know costuming can cost lots of money.
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

GenXstealth

Post by GenXstealth » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

Trying to make an Imperial Navy officer one.

erase

Post by erase » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Quite a rare costume in the legion... :roll:
GenXstealth wrote:Trying to make an Imperial Navy officer one.
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Post photo?

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm

The Imperial Officer/Tech crew costume is the least pricey among all of the imperial ones, as it comprises mostly fabric. Even the cap can be sel-made with the right specs... The only things that needs sourcing in the WW2 German Jack Boots... I should be able to help you with the belt, rank and code cylinder... All in all should cost you about SGD150...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

GenXstealth

Post by GenXstealth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 am

GetzJedi wrote:The Imperial Officer/Tech crew costume is the least pricey among all of the imperial ones, as it comprises mostly fabric. Even the cap can be sel-made with the right specs... The only things that needs sourcing in the WW2 German Jack Boots... I should be able to help you with the belt, rank and code cylinder... All in all should cost you about SGD150...
Thanks. I guess I have to wait awhile longer as I am running very low on cash.

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Then save up even if it's slower than a snail oozing on the payment. :wink: Maybe try keeping a Coin Bank or something you can't open easily and put in your loose change or whatever u can afford daily. After at least half a year, surely got some of the money for the costume.

Ya, it's bloody slow and troublesome but won't feel the pain if you have to save a lumpsum and that ATM/Debit Card is way too easily to use without feeling guilty.

The best option is of course to work, whether somewhere official or from home making stuffs to sell etc. During the periods when I work are the periods when I can afford to get books and collectibles I been drooling for months, even years or pay my seamstress without winking an eye.

Anyway, remember that in order to get a Good Costume, there is no such thing as Shortcut and certain sacrifies must be made unless you got money to burn. Toys are not to be bought, lunch to be reduced to cheaper ones or bring from home etc.
Last edited by Haldir on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al13ns
Location: roaming around Fiorina 'Fury' 161 - lookin for inmates

Post by al13ns » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm

maybe this will help on the Imperial Navy Trooper costume...

http://www.501st.com/members/costumeros ... stumeID=11
ImageImageImage

Sev-like

Post by Sev-like » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 pm

GetzJedi wrote:The Imperial Officer/Tech crew costume is the least pricey among all of the imperial ones, as it comprises mostly fabric. Even the cap can be sel-made with the right specs... The only things that needs sourcing in the WW2 German Jack Boots... I should be able to help you with the belt, rank and code cylinder... All in all should cost you about SGD150...
ah...how about armored ones? i kinda got the impression that stormtrooper armor are cheaper than the others though, don't know how i got the idea..maybe the clean, no-frills look?

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 pm

GetzJedi wrote:The Imperial Officer/Tech crew costume is the least pricey... All in all should cost you about SGD150...
I can now confirm that it actually costs almost twice that amount :D

A third (likely more) of the cost goes to the boots.
Another third goes to the coverall.
The rest goes to the acessories (belt, buckle, cap, comm pad, code cylinder...)

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 am

Dranoel wrote:I can now confirm that it actually costs almost twice that amount :D
It's still possible to keep the price down, even though shipping cost from the States have gone up quite a bit... Get the belt done locally and DIY the cap, rank bar, code cylinders and comm pad... Boots will need to be patient for a good deal on Ebay...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 am

Sev-like wrote:ah...how about armored ones? i kinda got the impression that stormtrooper armor are cheaper than the others though, don't know how i got the idea..maybe the clean, no-frills look?
Generally, the more 'armour' parts the costume has, the more expensive, with the exception of Vader... The lower end Stormtrooper helmet and armour sets (without undersuit, shoes and blaster) might cost you about SGD1500... But I believe my Stormtrooper buddies can give you a more accurate figure...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:06 am

If Imperial Royal Guard is still considered as "Armored" character, it can be the cheapest assuming
1) Get Helmet at good price (I paid SGD150 for mine 7 years ago. Helmet was "cheap" but Shipping was a killer)
2) Make the Robe and Cloak yourself and Fabric used are the cheapest kind (Velvet will be Taffetta Velvet which is ~SGD3/m?)
3) Make Forcepike from cheap or "found" things and parts
4) Already have Black Boots at hand
5) Buy other parts at bargain or make yourself.

The moment you go for accuracy, especially in term of materials used for the Robe and Cloak, apart from adding on Armor etc, the end pricetag can be as much as getting an Armor.

Return to “The Academy”