Road trip to catch Clone Wars

Keeping in touch with fellow Star Wars and SciFi Fans !

Moderators: hbng, danchia

dranoel
Site Admin

Road trip to catch Clone Wars

Post by dranoel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:04 pm

The Clone Wars premieres in Malaysia this week... 2 weeks earlier than it hits our local screens. hbng and I are planning to drive up north this Saturday to catch the movie in JB. At the same time, we will probably check out the shopping scene and maybe pick up some Clone Wars toys :P

Anyone keen to make the trip too? Note that this is NOT an official gathering or "excursion" where we have a tour coach or anything. So you need to make your arrangements for transport... perhaps form a carpool group with a driver ;)

Add your name to the list if you are interested to join us. We plan to confirm the details around Thursday, and then call ahead on Friday to place advance bookings for tickets. The showtimes will only be available tomorrow, but we are planning to catch a mid/late afternoon show, as we'll only be setting off from SG about noon.

1. hbng
2. dranoel

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 pm

I will be in KL.
Leaving on Friday.
most likely meeting MySciFiFans on Saturday.
=)
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

snowtrooper

do head over as crossing border tonite

Post by snowtrooper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 pm

JOHOR BAHRU
Thursday, August 14, 2008
CATHAY CINEPLEXES CITY SQUARE
(Phone Reservation : 07-2272888)

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (U ) Eng
11:15AM 1:25PM 3:25PM 5:25PM 7:25PM 9:25PM

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (English)

Classification: U
Genre: Action/Adventure/Animation
General Release: 14 August 2008
Running Time: 1 Hour 39 Minutes
Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
Starring: Matt Lanter, Anthony Daniels, Ian Abercrombie, Matthew Wood
Director: Dave Filoni
Synopsis: Sinister villains - led by Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous - are poised to rule the galaxy. But as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Padmé Amidala form the front lines of an inter-galactic struggle between good and evil, along with Anakin's padawan learner, Ahsoka, astonishing new revelations are revealed. Stakes are high, and the fate of the Star Wars universe rests in the hands of the daring Jedi Knights.

Watch this if you liked: All the "Star Wars" movies

I am no Star Wars fan. Consider that a disclaimer.

However, that might be a good thing when reviewing "Clone Wars" because it doesn't seem as if George Lucas and Co were trying to strike a chord with the old time fans anyway.

If you are one of those people who have intense views on how a lightsaber should be held, then anything Lucasfilm throws at you would be gobbled up with applause anyhow. No - it seems as if this animated feature is either a grand prelude to the main product (the upcoming weekly TV series), or simply an "afterthought", as reported in some news, from the big man himself.

Picking out one of the more interesting conflicts in the "Star Wars" timeline, "Clone Wars" can be seen as a fresh introduction to this new generation of viewers who were not around when Hans Solo first flew the Millennium Falcon with Chewbacca.

The understanding of the story does not really presuppose special knowledge on the Star Wars universe. One could imagine a 9-year-old going out to buy an Anakin Skywalker tumbler, worshipping his heroism - completely unaware of the dark spiral that would beset the gifted Jedi. Maybe that is what the franchise is going for with this animated feature.

So as to whether an overlong, animated Star Wars episode can work as a movie, the answer seems to be yes.

The brother-sister portrayal of new Padawan character Ahsoka Tano and the embattled Anakin Skywalker already hints towards an effort to stretch Star Wars beyond its fanboy-accepted perceptions.

Although this isn't "The Incredibles", there is enough story and humour to the battles and complex relationships that begets them - enough for first-time viewers to enjoy.

Others with a bit more experience on the franchise will ask: isn't that one too many Jedi moves in one movie?

Anyway, end the review this writer must. "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" would probably win some new fans without disappointing the old timers too much.

I'll just be staying away from the race allegories that infiltrate the franchise, maybe just concentrate on tiny little dialogue gems, like how shocking it must sound to hear someone playfully call Darth Vader "Skyguy".

Ticket Pricing
Days Price
Kid's (Aged below 3) Free
Kid's (Aged 4 - 12)
Valid for all shows except on Public Holidays. RM 6
Senior Citizen Concession (Aged 55 & Above)
Valid for all shows. Presentation of I.D is essential. RM 6
Student's Day
Valid for all shows every Friday all day & night.
Presentation of I.D is essential.
"No Free List" screening only RM 6
Early Bird Special Valid for all shows screened before 12pm except on Public Holidays RM 5
Tuesday - Movie Day
Valid for all shows day & night RM 6
Wednesday (Movie Day) RM 6
Monday & Tuesday RM 9
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday RM 10
Eve & Public Holidays RM 10

HyBRiD

Post by HyBRiD » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 pm

oh man.. can we make it next week instead? lol!!
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 am

Clone Wars... Now Showing... not in Singapore yet though (for reasons we can't fathom). This is TGV cinema in Tebrau City, JB.
ImageImageImageImage

We arrived around 2pm, just missing the 1:45pm show, but got tickets for the 4pm show instead. Nicely centred seats. There was good elevation between rows... that and the fortune that the seats in the row just in front of us were occupied by kids... so no head silhouettes :D

With a good 2 hours to while away, we popped into Toys "R" Us which happened to be in the same Tebrau City complex. As you can see, one of us (not me :P)managed to find some good buys :wink:
ImageImageImage

So, how was the movie? I'll just sum it up by saying that it's different... but I LOVE IT!!! :D

That's all I will say here and not reveal any spoilers.... :wink:

More on the movie, will be discussed in this separate possible spoiler laden topic
viewtopic.php?t=2499

Nien Nunb

Post by Nien Nunb » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:50 pm

I went to the Tebrau city before but the toyrus didnt sell much of the clone wars stuff.
Learn the way of the dark side and achieve a power greater than any jedi.

Return to “Gatherings and Events”