Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2008

Keeping in touch with fellow Star Wars and SciFi Fans !

Moderators: hbng, danchia

GrayJedi88

Post by GrayJedi88 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 am

ugh yea. packed like a can of mon calamari. heh, hope to see ya all later.

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:19 am

Doors to STCC closed at 8pm on Sunday. Amazingly, we managed to pack up the action figure displays in the Hasbro Star Wars Collectors Corner in about a quarter of the time it took us to painstakingly set up. :)

By 10pm the entire Hasbro booth was totally torn down... walls, shelves and all. That was fast :shock:

I will upload the remaining photos from my camera over the next few days. And we will also be seeing HB's photos. The rest of you who have nice shots to share, do post them up too. :)

Hope everyone who made their way to STCC enjoyed themselves. Let's look forward to STCC'09 (hopefully) and many more similar activities to come.

In the meantime, if you have not spotted the hidden easter egg. this photo will help you narrow your search scope. There is another photo which was more obvious, but that would be too direct :lol:

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:35 pm

The crowds gathered before the doors opened at 11am each day

At the Hasbro booth, you needed to queue to get in, and there was a constant stream of people in the line throughout the convention.

Although there are some who gripe about having to queue to get in, it actually made the viewing experience more pleasant, as it made the booth roomy enough so that one could truly admire the cool new toys and collections on display. For the Collectors Corner of the booth, there was also the option of viewing the displays from a distance from outside the booth walls.
ImageImageImageImage

Many fans were keen to participate in the Star Wars Quiz show which offered the Clone Trooper voice changer helmet and Mighty Muggs as prizes. The lucky 3 chosen took on the personae of R2-D2 (girl in white), Yoda (guy in red) and Chewbacca (guy in tan). Yoda eventually overcame his fellow challengers and took the top prize. Well, he IS the Jedi Master. Did you think a wookie or droid could beat him? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

It was also exciting at the Nintendo booth where the Imperials took on each other in a friendly (or not so) game of Wii Tennis. Notice the White Stormie in the 2nd pic with hands up in the air celebrating a win over Lord Vader? The last we heard, he got redeployed to the deep ends of space... not in a Star Destroyer or stationed in an outpost.... just Stormie and armour alone :lol:
ImageImage

The eventual challenge Wiinner was the Biker Scout. He managed to speed away before Vader got to him... :P
ImageImageImage

Jay Rendar

Post by Jay Rendar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 pm

E.T. is hiding out inside the Ewok village!

I registered just to post that... such a geek :oops:

bernardng

Post by bernardng » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 pm

The photos I took at the STCC that are related to SW are these. Thanks to the 501 guys.

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:00 am

Thanks for posting the photos Bernardng. :D

Jedi Healer

Post by Jedi Healer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:29 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28154612@N ... 903974485/

Picture time ladies and gents. Mostly pictures from towards the end of Day 2. If you saw me snapping a photo that isn't there, it's probably in Fatimah's camera since I hijacked hers for the most part (after my own died; I believe it has a battery life of approximately fifteen minutes.) =.=

Also, some were from my brother's camera phone, so that explains the crappy quality too. =D

Cheerios!

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 am

Jay Rendar wrote:E.T. is hiding out inside the Ewok village!

I registered just to post that... such a geek :oops:
Welcome, Jay! Glad to have you here...

We interrupt this post with a Newsflash from the Coruscant News Network
Following up on the tip-off from a reliable source, Captain Rex and his clones closed in and apprehended the illegal alien...
and that brings an end to the exploits of the little fella.....
until the next exhibition :wink:

The full Newsflash can be found on our webpage
http://www.starwars.sg/index.php?option ... 0&Itemid=2
Last edited by dranoel on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Healer

Post by Jedi Healer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:33 am

Hahaha! Gotta love that pic, Dranoel! Had no idea E.T. was there until Fatimah and Sarah pointed him out. :D
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:53 am

Dranoel wrote:Let's look forward to STCC'09 (hopefully) and many more similar activities to come.
The organisers have updated the STCC homepage with a message, apologising for the hiccups and to express their appreciation for all constructive feedback received. The last line of the message indicates that there IS going to be Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2009. :D
Dear Visitors of the Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2008:

PI Events Pte Ltd would like to apologise for the confusion and inconvenience surrounding admission into the Hall on the morning of Saturday, 28 June 2008.

We did not anticipate the overwhelming response to this first-time event. With hindsight, the measures that we had put in place were not suited to cater to a crowd so large in number – especially one of such rapid growth.

Due to the safety hazard imposed by the large number of visitors accumulating at the Hall entrance, management made the executive decision to alter the measures and mechanics of entry for the safety and ease of visitors. It was our hope that such action would rectify the situation, granting the visitors faster entry, so as not to congest the foyer area outside the Convention Hall 603.

Unfortunately, given the circumstances, we were unable to monitor and control the movement of visitors into the Hall. We offer our sincerest apologies for the resulting confusion, and hope that the precautionary measures that we had taken for the following day (i.e. Sunday, 29 June 2008) aided in resolving the situation.

We would, however, like to thank you showing confidence in us at the very first Singapore Toy & Comic Convention. We are greatly appreciative of all your constructive feedback, all of which will be evaluated to better equip us with further knowledge and insight as we plan for next year. We thank you for your continued support and hope to surpass your expectations at the Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2009.

Sincerely,
The PI Events Team
source: http://www.sgtoyandcomiccon.com/index.html

hbng
Site Admin

Post by hbng » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:25 pm

Dranoel wrote:
Dranoel wrote:Let's look forward to STCC'09 (hopefully) and many more similar activities to come.
The organisers have updated the STCC homepage with a message, apologising for the hiccups and to express their appreciation for all constructive feedback received. ......

If you have enjoyed STCC this year, why not show your support and let PI Events (organiser) know by dropping them an email.

Contact details is as follows:

http://www.sgtoyandcomiccon.com/contactus.html

It's encouraging to know that Singapore does have a market for such conventions, as can be attested by the massive turnout last weekend. Rumour has it that there were about 50,000 visitors on just Sat alone.

HB

Albert Leong

Post by Albert Leong » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Found it on Youtube. :D

Star Wars @ Singapore Toy & Comic Convention 2008 Slideshow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIv1C0K1 ... re=related
TK2818 <BLACKOUT>
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:54 pm

It was nice to meet you guys there!

And Chris aka Vader too!

and also forum member Nien Nunb!

Hello!
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:16 pm

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

Mirador

Hey guys...

Post by Mirador » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 pm

I was at the Convention on Sunday...29th.

This is my first time close up with some of the 501st Legion members, and I must say I'm really impressed, you guys are so nice and (whoa) your costumes were just splendid :o

Here're some of those pics that my friends and I took, apologies if they don't turn out nicely because they were in BMP format and 2MB each so I had to shrink them with Paint.

I'm so going to attend next year's Convention, and hope to be part of the 501st by then =D
Last edited by Mirador on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Gatherings and Events”