Blood Wars (aka Blood Donation Drive)

Keeping in touch with fellow Star Wars and SciFi Fans !

Moderators: hbng, danchia

erase

Post by erase » Thu May 10, 2007 7:12 am

Yeah I agreed with Paul...after the entire day of posing for pics... the pics is worst of it kind.... :(
Paul K wrote:
renzaijh wrote:Here's the article:

[This article makes helluvalot more sense than the one on 're-enacting history' in ST.
I can't read Chinese BUT yeah, you said it man. The shot they used in ST was so wierd.
TD/SL-5125 501st SIN Garrison
MEPD Deployed/327th Star Corps
Let me see your identification...

donleow

Post by donleow » Thu May 10, 2007 8:35 am

haha the ST report saga on us makes me a sinner afterall... i was so bloody shock touching down from airport to find out afterall the effort ST want us to collobrate with them and turn out to be worthless report, and in comparison with chinese verse english newspaper i realized the following differences

Speed
Chinese straits time are efficient to make the report out in less than week comparison to english one which took weeks and turn out to something peanut.

Chinese straits time definitely win and picture speaks a thousand word...and fyi that pic appearing in english straits time are probably one of the pic we posted and share with all of u.

Storycontent
Storyline between the chinese and english have set a wide spectrum between the 2. The chinese article was able to clearly illustrate and balance the flavor between starwars and star trek and on the whole able to convey what we really are as starwars fan and costumers. I be frank my " english potato " knowledge is not superb but till this day i still cannot figure out what renactment meant to starwars and what has it presented

Overall i m bloody disappointed with english story and the fact that we have not even been told or informed about the publishing makes me think over should i still continue to subscribe their paper or should i just cut them off lol
TS 3132 ( curlyhair)
Singapore Garrison

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Thu May 10, 2007 9:40 am

Folks, before this goes off-tangent into a debate on the Straits Times article, I suggest that discussion be continued at this other thread instead
viewtopic.php?t=1803

Then here, we can continue discussing the merits of the Zaobao article and our joint StarTrek-StarWars effort in supporting our local Blood Donation drive :)

chakster

Post by chakster » Sat May 12, 2007 1:10 am

Heh... Is there anyone out there with a rough translation of what the article was talking about... kantang... :oops:
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Sat May 12, 2007 2:21 am

For the benefit of those who can't read Chinese, here's a rough translation... apologies though, cos I did not do the translation for the full article.. and pardon any mistakes too :P
STAR WARS "BAD GUYS" - BLOODBATH AT SGH
The Star Wars Imperials don't just look cool, but they have a passion for doing good as well. Last Saturday, these "bad guys" from Star Wars, along with the characters of Star Trek, were at the Bloodbank to support the blood donation drive....
[first few paragraphs describe the scene at Bloodbank and the presence of Star Wars and Star Trek characters]...
Don't be mistaken that the costuming hobby is purely a Guy thing - Fatimah, 27, was among those in costume, appearing in her TIE fighter pilot costume, armed with her "blaster". In fact, it was Fatimah who raised the idea of the joint event between Star Wars and Star Trek fans, having drawn inspiration from the "Blood War" concept that originated overseas.
[couple of paragraphs describing the concept of "Blood Wars"]
[first paragraph in the next section talks about the local fan base of SW and ST....
and the 501st group in Singapore which was just established 7 months ago has more than 50 members...hmmm, well, that's what the article says]

What's unique about the 501st is that they only consist costumes of the "bad guys". But then again, all the cool, impressive, eye-catching costumes in Star Wars belong to the bad guys, so you only feel the "kick" when dress as one of them. 501st spokesperson, Keith, 34, Consultant, says he has been collecting Star Wars toys since childhood, and has been dreaming of becoming a Stormtrooper since he was 6. He owns several costumes, but the Stormtrooper costume is the most impressive and draws the most attention.

It is worth mentioning that the 501st Legion is the only Star Wars costuming group acknowledged by George Lucas. When invited to participate in the ~2004~ [hmmm...wrong year] Rose Bowl parade with a Star Wars contingent, he immediately approached 501st members from around the world to audition with video clips of themselves in costume. 2 fortunate members from Singapore made the cut and were selected for the parade - among them was primary school teacher, Shawn, 32.

Shawn proudly shares that Lucas sponsored the air fare and accommodation, and this to a Star Wars fan was a truly memorable experience that will forever be etched in his memory.
[the box in light green talks about where all the cool costumes come from]
...perhaps if I have the time later on, I might return to work on this again. But definitely welcome anyone else to help out as well :)

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Thu May 17, 2007 12:01 am

Did some Googling and came across this:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=3053929

Paul K
Site Admin

Post by Paul K » Thu May 17, 2007 8:39 am

Nice find. Looks like those people appreciate what was done.
Paul Khoo

Site Administrator

erase

Post by erase » Thu May 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Paul K wrote:Nice find. Looks like those people appreciate what was done.
So we have achieve what was needed....Public awareness... :)

chakster

Post by chakster » Mon May 21, 2007 10:46 am

Dranoel wrote:For the benefit of those who can't read Chinese, here's a rough translation... apologies though, cos I did not do the translation for the full article.. and pardon any mistakes too :P

...perhaps if I have the time later on, I might return to work on this again. But definitely welcome anyone else to help out as well :)
Thanks man! :D
TB/TK 7576 Callsign "Chakles"

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Mon May 28, 2007 4:15 pm

I was at the Blood Bank last Sat (DARN! 1 week and 1 day late from my schedule :oops: ) and saw this display near the Refreshment Area:

erase

Post by erase » Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 pm

OMG!!! Someone adore our.... ???? :oops: :roll:

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Heehee...anyone got photos of the Imperial Blood Buddy/Trooper? :wink:

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:13 am

Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh