SEJA Knighting Ceremony

Keeping in touch with fellow Star Wars and SciFi Fans !

Moderators: hbng, danchia

assjedi

SEJA Knighting Ceremony

Post by assjedi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:19 pm

SEJA will have a costumed gathering/parade/ceremony for the Knighting of some of the members, and the initiation of their latest member. We will be trying to recreate the ceremony towards the end of ANH(Epi4), so we will need as much costumers as possible, doesn't matter which costume, but as long as it's starwars related(for the ST ppl, we will exclude that line). There will be a little walking parade from Raffles City, where the costume changing and gathering is to take place, to the Civi War Memorial Park where the ceremony is to take place.

this will be our first time organizing such a big event, and also the latest event to pull together 3 Giants together, something that has not been done for a while now, so i hope everyone will help out and cooperate in this fun event and be tolerant of anything and everything that might go wrong.

(this has been put up on starwars.sg, startrek.com.sg and moviemania.com.sg and all lists will be consolidated. therefore if you have signed up for this at either of the sites mentioned, please do not sign up again)

Date: 15th October 2006
Time: to be in costume by 1700hrs
Place of ceremony: Civilian War Memorial Park

ok ppl. sign up here:

1)
2)
3)
4)
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Interesting event and looks set to be quite a grand affair :)

But just a thought about the venue... the remains of unidentified war victims are buried beneath the monument which was erected in memory of the victims of WWII. Perhaps not too appropriate to conduct such a ceremony there :(

How about alternative venues such as the steps of City Hall building or in the steps in front of Marina Square?
Last edited by dranoel on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:41 pm

are u sure there's bodies there? that means the bodies is below the memorial, and above city link? wouldn't that make city link haunted or something? lol

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:47 pm

hmm...

massassi temple -> resting place of Exar Kun and the Massassi race.

besides, it is appropriate.
knighting done there so we can also remember the fallen and there will always be another to carry the flag.
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

Jedi Healer

Post by Jedi Healer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:03 am

Dranoel wrote:But just a thought about the venue... the remains of unidentified war victims are buried beneath the monument which was erected in memory of the victims of WWII.
Really, they are? Weren't there a lot of unidentified victims? I assumed it would've been a tad bit too squeezy between City Link and the surface of the Park.
Dranoel wrote:How about alternative venues such as the steps of City Hall building or in the steps in front of Marina Square?

Mhmm...I think the Park is still nicer. And methinks it may be more difficult to get permission for the others? But I may be wrong..
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:06 am

possibly.. anyway we've already gotten approval from the necessary bodies to make use of the memorial premises anyway..

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:13 am

Azmi, we've conversed... Please look into the legal aspects of the event, especially if you intend to conduct a procession across a major road to a place of interest... I'd recommend a more private location to not draw the wrong kind of attention...
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 am

Dranoel wrote:But just a thought about the venue... the remains of unidentified war victims are buried beneath the monument which was erected in memory of the victims of WWII. Perhaps not too appropriate to conduct such a ceremony there :(
No, the remains of all war victims are buried at the Kranji War Memorial.

The 4-pillar Statue at the City Hall Memorial Park is just a monument, without any bodies underneath.
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

mandalorianBleahhh

Post by mandalorianBleahhh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:30 am

GetzJedi wrote:Azmi, we've conversed... Please look into the legal aspects of the event, especially if you intend to conduct a procession across a major road to a place of interest... I'd recommend a more private location to not draw the wrong kind of attention...
yup...esp the war memorial park...its considered a location of interest...so u have to clear the legal aspect too..

otherwise, I will be there!
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Dr EMH wrote:
Dranoel wrote:But just a thought about the venue... the remains of unidentified war victims are buried beneath the monument which was erected in memory of the victims of WWII. Perhaps not too appropriate to conduct such a ceremony there :(
No, the remains of all war victims are buried at the Kranji War Memorial.

The 4-pillar Statue at the City Hall Memorial Park is just a monument, without any bodies underneath.
Kranji War Memorial is for the soldiers and servicemen. As for the Civilian War Memorial, read here http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/s ... orial.html
and here
http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/about_ ... story.html

I was concerned that as a mark of respect for the sanctity of the memorial, it might not be appropriate to hold the ceremony there. But anyway, since Faiz has already sought approval to use the memorial premises for this purpose, I guess my worries are unfounded. :)

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm

that is correct, infact IF the procession across a major road to a place of interest is the onli prob, then we'll just scrap that aspect alone, and have formed up parade formation ala ANH.

anyway the fact that the place holds such an important value, makes it all the more to have the ceremony held there. although it will be a costume gathering and a promotion ceremony of sorts, it still is a serious function. unlike those cosplay events. if you took starwars seriously enough, then this wouldn't be anything so trivial.

those in costume can still attend, but will not be in the formed up parade. i would like to personally invite Dan Chia, founder of starwars.sg, to attend this little ceremony. a token of appreciation will be given away to the leaders of each participating group for the time and effort spent to make the event possible.

so pls, we need as many costumers as possible, and asap. so we can consolidate the number of costumers and the like, and figure out how the parade will look like..

thank you

ps: for those who are still in doubt here is the email that shows approval of using the above mentioned memorial place

From: nparks_public_affairs@nparks.gov.sg < nparks_public_affairs@nparks.gov.sg>
Date: 28-Sep-2006 17:11
Subject: Usage of Park Application
To: assjedi@gmail.com

Dear Mr Mohammad Azmi

We are pleased to advise you that the status of your application for usage of War Memorial Park for Costume Event from 15/10/2006 (17:00 hrs) to 15/10/2006 (18:00 hrs) has been APPROVED.

The approval is subjected to the following terms & conditions:

The use of the park is subject to the following conditions :

* You are advised to obtain the necessary clearance and approval from other relevant authorities.
* All participants must observe the Parks & Tree Act Cap 216 and the Parks & Trees Rules 1997, and the National Parks 1996.
* Please do not damage trees, shrubs, turf or park furniture. Any damages found will have to be reinstated to our satisfaction.
* Please keep the site clean and tidy at all times during the function. All refuse generated from the function must be removed immediately at your own cost.
* Tents may be erected for shelter and control purposes, but for camping overnight a separate permit is required.
* Unauthorised vehicles are strictly prohibited from Parkland at all times.
* Please do not tie any flags, posters, bunting, banners,etc. to trees, shrubs, or park furniture.
* You must indemnify the Government in respect of any liability, loss or claim arising during the event.
* Approval is given on condition that you agree to all the above conditions and sign the agreement slip (below) and return it to us before your function is held.
* Users of the parks must vacate and return the premises by 4.00 pm the next day.

Electricity supply : Please provide your own generator.

* Please send someone to this office to collect the keys of the gate in order for your tentage vehicle to enter into the park to set up your tent.
* Please do not park vehicles on the turf.
* No private cars are allowed to enter into the park.

Regards
Operator 2

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 pm

* You are advised to obtain the necessary clearance and approval from other relevant authorities.
Told the cops yet?
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:56 am

ah, how do i go about doing that desmond? is there a specific email or webpage i can send the request to, just like NPark's website?

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:38 am

Faiz wrote:ah, how do i go about doing that desmond? is there a specific email or webpage i can send the request to, just like NPark's website?
Check out the guidelines for Police Permit at this link...
http://www.spf.gov.sg/licence/frameset_PP.html

I'd recommend that you contact the Compliance Management Unit of Central Police Division Headquarters to enquire if your event is considered an assembly that requires a permit.

Central Police Division
391 New Bridge Road
Police Cantonment Complex
Singapore 088762
Tel No.: 6557 51(32) - (36)
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:38 am