The Master's Shots on

The mega event that came to our sunny island !

Moderators: erase, danchia

milo

Post by milo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:47 pm

hi Daniel,

Thank you for taking notice of my requests. Forgive me, if I sounded overly critical. Its afterall only my first time in ever seeing a studio-scale model not from a picture.

If SSC would consider the suggestions, it would be really fantastic. Here goes:

a) The Mon Calamari - such a beauty but seated in the dark, also with the engines pointing at the wall, unless you are like me, who take the trouble to place my face on the floor and look up, you won't see those craftmanship down there. I suggest parked the ship diagonally so that we could walk around one side, at least, depending on how much space there is, as this mama is huge.

b) Whats the name of the red ship parked about 10 feet away from the Mon Calamari? This red ship about 6 to 8 feet long, has the front, right side (looking from the front) and back, all visible. However, the left (looking from the front) is a wall. This ship appeared in Ep 1 towards the end. On screen it only appeared less than 20 seconds, I think. Also I felt it deserved more air-time, cause when I looked up from the bottom and those landing gears had designs which left me totally speechless. Yet, you could hardly see anything unless it lighted with some sportlights shooting up from the bottom. Only one landing gear was visible. The rest were again in the dark. I couldnt make it out even when I tried and it didnt feel nice walking away from her, knowing there are landing gears down there as part of this real model, all we could do is try to make it out from the outline of the shadows.

The model is displayed at the right height, just the lighting were insufficient at the bottom.

c) Slave-1 - this ship is much too stunning to be placed in the semi-sphere glass. All you can see here is the front of the ship and in the rounded glass, though a real model, it just look distorted from every angle, or from what little you could make out. I seriously think this ship deserve to be in a rectangular glass cabinet where we get a 360 degree view of it, including the bottom engines. Yes the engines of the Slave-1 has the most impressive design of this whole ship.

d) Millenium Falcon, it would be great to have this iconic model placed as a center piece, whereby we could stand one feet away from it. And decent white light on and beneath it will also help. I kept feeling that I am in a photography dark room when looking at this model.

In short, I think it would be ideal if the following is possible:

- giant ships without glass protection, to allow us to walk around them 360 degrees, and white light on both top and bottom

- ships like Slave-1 be placed vertically in rectangular glass protection - this is the only way I could visualise in order to appreciate the beauty of this entire ship, almost impossible to see when its squashed in that sphere glass

- those actual final models of the Y-wing and X-wing - these two classics are already tiny enough, please allow us to stand nearer to them to take a closer look, and would be perfect if more light on them could be provided (not referring to the Y-wing that didnt make it into the movie)

- instructions should be posted to repeatedly remind visitors not to sit their arms on the glass houses, hence we do not risk any damage whatsoever to these history making-models

Now all I have to do now is find a way to cross all my fingers and toes together :D

Milo

renzaijh

Something to ponder

Post by renzaijh » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 pm

The exterior/facade of the Annex Building where the ART OF STAR WARS exhibition looks extremely plain in my opinion. Some visitors may not enter the Annex Building via Science Centre's main entrance.

With certain areas boarded up outside the Annex Building, it will only look like the Annex Building is under renovations or something. At the very least, SSC should do something like a 'Business As Usual' signage. Even a large cut-out of a TIE-FIGHTER in pursuit of an X-WING FIGHTER plastered next to the words ANNEX BUILDING will make a difference.

Just my 2 cents worth.

freefly

Post by freefly » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:13 pm

milo wrote:- giant ships without glass protection, to allow us to walk around them 360 degrees, and white light on both top and bottom

- ships like Slave-1 be placed vertically in rectangular glass protection -
milo wrote:b) And also stop the moving lights on the Star Destroyer. Perhaps just plain white light, instead of those blue ever shifting lights. Again, no lights from underneath
Yeah.., i would love to see those exhaust nozzles of the star destroyers & slave-1 placed vertically. However i felt that the lighting on the star destroyers are good as it is now, blue lights & all. It lends a magical touch to it; white lights would be harsh. Perhaps SSC could make the lights alternate btw blue & white in regular intervals for all the big ships incl that mon cal cruiser & republic cruiser?
Release the Good!

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:18 pm

Excellent suggestions .... keep them coming please. I am collating them all and will forward them to Singapore Science Centre.

Thanks everyone ....

GetzJedi

Re: Something to ponder

Post by GetzJedi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:31 pm

renzaijh wrote:Even a large cut-out of a TIE-FIGHTER in pursuit of an X-WING FIGHTER plastered next to the words ANNEX BUILDING will make a difference.
I strongly support this!!! :twisted:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

masterjamous

Post by masterjamous » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:54 am

In view of these comments, perhaps I should bring the camera & tripod again and venture to capture the underbellies of the ships. And hopefully soon.
I actually did try to shoot Slave, X & Y wings but was hampered by the Bubble and the casings. It does an excellent deterent job by distorting view and reflecting lights and throwing shadows.

The details on the ships were absolutely amazing!!!
IF I own a "tube-line" video camera, I would see myself filming by tracing the sidelines of the Star Destroyer to make it look like a fly past over it just like that space fight sequence in New Hope.
Whoooooaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

:P :P :P :P :P
ImageImageImage

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:45 am

Hi everyone,

I sent an email with everyone's suggestions to Singapore Science Centre and received this reply from the Events Manager early today :

I've forwarded the suggestion list over to my exhibitions team. Will ... follow up on arranging a meeting with you all, with the team, to work on possible solutions, amidst technical and financial constraints that we might have. We are thankful for the many suggestions that you guys have forwarded to us and will look into them seriously.

Now all we can do is wait . Milo, Masterjamous , renzaijh and anyone else interested , if Science Centre really wants to meet with us to explore ways of improving the exhibits , would you be interested in coming for the meeting ? I want to form a small team of people really interested in improving the exhibition, people with really good ideas , so pm me if you are able to help . I will not be able to take everyone , unfortunately, especially if the response is overwhelming, but my core team and I will choose those with really good ideas.

Let me know....

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:55 am

danchia wrote:Hi everyone,

I sent an email with everyone's suggestions to Singapore Science Centre and received this reply from the Events Manager early today :

I've forwarded the suggestion list over to my exhibitions team. Will ... follow up on arranging a meeting with you all, with the team, to work on possible solutions, amidst technical and financial constraints that we might have. We are thankful for the many suggestions that you guys have forwarded to us and will look into them seriously.

Now all we can do is wait . Milo, Masterjamous , renzaijh and anyone else interested , if Science Centre really wants to meet with us to explore ways of improving the exhibits , would you be interested in coming for the meeting ? I want to form a small team of people really interested in improving the exhibition, people with really good ideas , so pm me if you are able to help . I will not be able to take everyone , unfortunately, especially if the response is overwhelming, but my core team and I will choose those with really good ideas.

Let me know....
including the suggestion on clone troopers too??? *drool...*

yeah! Love the idea on improving the exhibits!!!! whee

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:12 am

Commander Faie wrote:
including the suggestion on clone troopers too??? *drool...*

yeah! Love the idea on improving the exhibits!!!! whee
Hey man .... erm, which suggestion on clone troopers. Not enough sleep.... can't really remember that suggestion. Can remind me ? :)

Anyway, just to let you know, there are definite plans to line some of the bare walls with life-sized photos of clone troopers . It is going to look fantastic !

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Post by e3lipse » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Because clones are all cg made, it would be nice if there were pictures and artist sketches. Photos of them in work, temurra morrison/ep2 jango being filmed and stuff
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:24 pm

e3lipse wrote:Because clones are all cg made, it would be nice if there were pictures and artist sketches. Photos of them in work, temurra morrison/ep2 jango being filmed and stuff

Well, my friend, sorry to say that there will not be any more exhibits coming from Lucasfilm. The 275 exhibits currently on display are all there is for the current incarnation of the exhibition . Lucasfilm will not be releasing anything more . :(

What we CAN improve on is the way the exhibits are displayed , and there are plans in the works to give fans reason to return to the exhibition ( free premiums with tickets etc ) , plus more collectible merchandise , of course .

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:03 pm

danchia wrote:
e3lipse wrote:Because clones are all cg made, it would be nice if there were pictures and artist sketches. Photos of them in work, temurra morrison/ep2 jango being filmed and stuff

Well, my friend, sorry to say that there will not be any more exhibits coming from Lucasfilm. The 275 exhibits currently on display are all there is for the current incarnation of the exhibition . Lucasfilm will not be releasing anything more . :(

What we CAN improve on is the way the exhibits are displayed , and there are plans in the works to give fans reason to return to the exhibition ( free premiums with tickets etc ) , plus more collectible merchandise , of course .

Any plans to screen all six movies? :twisted: marathon screening or something... hee hee... dun mind spending a nite at SSC with all my pals!!! :twisted:
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Post by e3lipse » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:19 pm

Awwee wrote:
danchia wrote:

Any plans to screen all six movies? :twisted: marathon screening or something... hee hee... dun mind spending a nite at SSC with all my pals!!! :twisted:
Aww ok
THe explnations of the displays sure need to be improved. It was pretty bad on opening night ehhe
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

Return to “Star Wars Exhibition at the Singapore Science Centre”