STEVE SANSWEET (BIGGEST STAR WARS COLLECTOR IN THE WORLD)

The mega event that came to our sunny island !

Moderators: erase, danchia

DAVID GUIVANT

STEVE SANSWEET (BIGGEST STAR WARS COLLECTOR IN THE WORLD)

Post by DAVID GUIVANT » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:57 am

Hi everyone,

How are you today? Happy to have arrived in Singapore and eat some great local food again. :o A pity I missed the Singapore Star Wars Gang at the airport. But plenty of time to catch up.

Let me tell you about someone very famous and well known in the world of STAR WARS. Mr Steve Sansweet whom I had the pleasure and honor of meeting while I was screening my short film at the GRAND REX THEATRE in Paris during the official STAR WARS convention in France.

For those who don't know him :
Steve Sansweet has transformed his love for the Star Wars saga into a busy career. He is the author or co-author of ten books (eight of them on the saga), writes columns and feature articles for magazines, and travels the world as a Lucasfilm liaison to Star Wars fans everywhere.

Steve was born and educated in Philadelphia where he was named outstanding graduate in journalism at Temple University. He worked at the Philadelphia Inquirer before joining The Wall Street Journal as a staff reporter. Transferred to Los Angeles, he wrote on a wide range of topics before serving as the Journal's Los Angeles bureau chief for nine years starting in March 1987.

In 1996, Steve joined Lucasfilm Ltd. as Director of Specialty Marketing to help promote Star Wars to fans both old and new. He is currently Director of Content Management and in charge of fan relations in Lucasfilm's Marketing Department.

Steve started collecting robots and space toys in the mid-1970s, and over the years that has been transformed into the largest private collection of Star Wars memorabilia in the world.

Indeed, STEVE took some time to share with the fans and present his AMAZING collection of STARWARS memorabilia from his warehouse which he calls it: THE RANCHO OBIWAN, Steve has MORE items then any exhibit could ever show in the World.

Collecting everything related to STAR WARS is of course his greatest hobby, he arrived in France and brought all the lottery tickets that had STAR WARS pictures on it.

He showed us a giant shelf which he collects all magazines or tv programs that has STAR WARS in it. My friend ABEL (George Lucas) asked him if he was interested in having a CINEMA PROGRAM from New Caledonia that had EPISODE III in it?
He said : "Yes" I want to collect everything that has STAR WARS in it.

I think it would be a very nice gesture if THE SCIENCE CENTER could offer a copy of the ART OF STAR WARS exhibition book to STEVE SANSWEET and also send him an invitation to come over to Singapore to visit the EVENT. :P

What do you fans think? :wink:

Cheers.

Dave :roll:
CAPTAIN FUTURE: COMING SOON !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJQnL4Bulk

freefly

Post by freefly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 am

DAVID GUIVANT wrote:I think it would be a very nice gesture if THE SCIENCE CENTER could offer a copy of the ART OF STAR WARS exhibition book to STEVE SANSWEET and also send him an invitation to come over to Singapore to visit the EVENT. :P

What do you fans think? :wink:
It would be great to have Mr Sansweet here IMO. :P However, it's up to the big boys'(adamteo, danchia, hbng, donleow, etc) decision..hehe
Release the Good!

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:18 am

That's a great idea! The big boys should really see if SSC has the ability to do so cause this guy is like the keeper of the grail!

When will he do Vol 2 / updated version of the SW AF Collection??? Get to it man!!! I'll pick up a copy immediately when he does!
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:05 am

He own the life-size X-Wing Fighter at the background of the photo? :shock: ... gee, he is no doubt the BIGGEST Star Wars collector!
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 pm

Dr EMH wrote:He own the life-size X-Wing Fighter at the background of the photo? :shock: ... gee, he is no doubt the BIGGEST Star Wars collector!
Yeah, the BIGGEST. He only need to collect one item, the biggest item around.
:D
Find, fix, finish

DAVID GUIVANT

Post by DAVID GUIVANT » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 pm

lhs1701 wrote:
Dr EMH wrote:He own the life-size X-Wing Fighter at the background of the photo? :shock: ... gee, he is no doubt the BIGGEST Star Wars collector!
Yeah, the BIGGEST. He only need to collect one item, the biggest item around.
:D
You should see his entire RANCHO OBIWAN, 3 Stories full of STAR WARS items, some lifesize props as well. I gotta ask my friend James who went to visit it in July.
It would be great to have Mr Sansweet here IMO. However, it's up to the big boys'(adamteo, danchia, hbng, donleow, etc) decision..hehe
Well they could always send a copy of the ART OF STARWARS EXHIBITION BOOK first since it's only available in Singapore?
Cheers.

Dave :P

freefly

Post by freefly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 pm

Hey David Guivant, you're one lucky guy. By the way did your fren chance upon Sansweet's action figure during his visit? And, out of curiosity, does George go by the name of ABEL among his friends(you included)?
Release the Good!

vector_prime

Post by vector_prime » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:47 pm

Steve Sansweet was one of the reasons why I did'nt feel ashamed collecting toys in the 80s. I use to think this guy is older than me & yet he didnt give a damn about what people thought about him ( from the mid to late 80s when I was in my 20s ....I always was made fun of by peers,friends & relatives when they found out I collected toys :( )

My first ever Star Wars guide was the 1994 TOMARTS PRICE GUIDE to WORLDWIDE STAR WARS COLLECTIBLES written by him & T.N Tumbusch (Editor of Action Figure Digest)

fast forward to 2004...the time when I was real active trading stuff in ebay...I made alot of friends all over the world but none can be compared to one I got on the morning of october 10th....I got a REAL pleasant surprise when an ebay customer who won my item was interested in another item that I had for sale. He was none other than Steve himself! ...he was real friendly & a great honest genuine customer...paid immediately & left me great feedback too.

Im including this pic of the paypal invoice I got...so that most of you guys wont say that this is just another "Fishermen's Tale" :D . I had to leave out his address & email to respect his privacy...just like any other of my customers.

It'll be really cool if he can come down here to our sunny island :D

* You should be more concerned with character than reputation because character is who you are, while reputation is merely what others think.

=PATIENCE HAS IT's REWARDS=

freefly

Post by freefly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:57 pm

vector_prime wrote:Steve Sansweet was one of the reasons why I did'nt feel ashamed collecting toys in the 80s. I use to think this guy is older than me & yet he didnt give a damn about what people thought about him ( from the mid to late 80s when I was in my 20s ....I always was made fun of by peers,friends & relatives when they found out I collected toys :( )
Wow you're that old.. kidding. Anyways I'm quite impressed with your continual collecting spirit :P
Release the Good!

vector_prime

Post by vector_prime » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:05 pm

freefly wrote:
vector_prime wrote:Steve Sansweet was one of the reasons why I did'nt feel ashamed collecting toys in the 80s. I use to think this guy is older than me & yet he didnt give a damn about what people thought about him ( from the mid to late 80s when I was in my 20s ....I always was made fun of by peers,friends & relatives when they found out I collected toys :( )
Wow you're that old.. kidding. Anyways I'm quite impressed with your continual collecting spirit :P
Thanks for the kind words freefly :)

I'm like 41 with 4 kids...my eldest is already Secondary 1....& blessed with my own set of now 7-year old Star Wars twins named Luke & Leia too :D

My SW fire still burns...all thanks to the many2 collecting friends I made along the way...it really makes it easier collecting & interacting with people who understands you....fellow collectors of course :D
* You should be more concerned with character than reputation because character is who you are, while reputation is merely what others think.

freefly

Post by freefly » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:09 am

vector_prime wrote:...& blessed with my own set of now 7-year old Star Wars twins named Luke & Leia too
vector_prime wrote:Got my son Luke the really cool Mr.Potatohead Spudtrooper at Metro TM just now.
Nice. It's not often I come across fans like you. :) I'm curious, wife did'nt complain abt your naming the kids? For me, the best part of collecting that I like is in the hunting.
Release the Good!

vector_prime

Post by vector_prime » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:46 am

freefly wrote:
vector_prime wrote:...& blessed with my own set of now 7-year old Star Wars twins named Luke & Leia too
vector_prime wrote:Got my son Luke the really cool Mr.Potatohead Spudtrooper at Metro TM just now.
Nice. It's not often I come across fans like you. :) I'm curious, wife did'nt complain abt your naming the kids? For me, the best part of collecting that I like is in the hunting.
Sorry for sidetracking the topic again...

Nope..shes been supporting me since day 1....anyway...I was in love with Star Wars before I met her....hehe :D

Yup...hunting is the best...but I'm more into vintage & obscure stuff right now :)

gave up on Ep3 stuff a month after the movie...too many that I cant keep up :(

DAVID GUIVANT

Post by DAVID GUIVANT » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 pm

WOW : :P you've got kids named Leia and Luke?
That's cool.

Cheers.

Dave :D

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:02 pm

may be i should consider name my kids as anakin and obiwan ... or perhaps change my name as palpatine ... hehe :lol:
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

vector_prime

Post by vector_prime » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:10 pm

DAVID GUIVANT wrote:WOW : :P you've got kids named Leia and Luke?
That's cool.

Cheers.

Dave :D
Thanks Dave..

blessed with a boy & a girl twins... what else would I name them? :D

Return to “Star Wars Exhibition at the Singapore Science Centre”