Some Exhibits from Smithsonian StarWars exhibition not here!

The mega event that came to our sunny island !

Moderators: erase, danchia

Do you think there are enough exhibits in Singapore Art of StarWars to satisfy you?

Yes, I've seen all that I want to see! Great exhibition!
20%
Okay, But I come for the Prequel stuff, not original trilogy!
No votes
I want more exhibits from Original trilogy!
80%

Total votes: 10

jowster

Some Exhibits from Smithsonian StarWars exhibition not here!

Post by jowster » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:21 am

I appreciate the organisers for arranging the Singapore exhibition, and had quite a good time there.

However, I was disappointed that some MAJOR exhibits from the Smithsonian website cannot be found in the Singapore exhibition:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/StarWars/galmap.htm
(browse it and you will see all the artifacts and artwork at this exhibition)

Some exhibits are missing in the Singapore version.

eg. TaunTaun from ESB
Speeder Bikes from ROTJ
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... 14l8s8.jpg
Darth Vader Helmet- Dismantled exhibit
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... darth1.jpg
Sandskiff/Barge model from ROTJ
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... 12l9m9.jpg
Han Solo uniform exhibit
B-wing fighter
A-wing fighter
Tie Interceptor
Empire Admiral/Officer uniform
Princess Leia "Slave" uniform
Gammorean Guard (from Jabba's Palace)
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... /gamor.jpg
Various Jabba palace monsters
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... 2case1.jpg
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... l20m20.jpg
Han Solo Frozen Carbonite Block from ROTJ
YODA model/puppet
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... s/yoda.jpg
Admirial Ackbar Mask
Imperial Twin Bomber
AT-AT model
SnowTrooper
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/Star ... l13s13.jpg

The list goes on.....

All these exhibits were at the Smithsonian Star Wars Exhibition in the USA, which a friend of mine visited.

Since the Exhibition is running till 2006, is there a chance that Science Center might bring in these other exhibits later to get us to visit again? Or perhaps this is it!??

I also noticed that there were ample space in the original trilogy areas, are they reserved for additional exhibits to come in later? Why the extra space?

OK, I know that the focus is on Revenge of the Sith, but I'm an oldie fan who grew up in the 70s....

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:43 am

Hi Jowster ,

Welcome to the message board, and thanks for your post. I understand your disappointment.

I interviewed Laela French during our live coverage of the events past 2 days and asked her about this particular exhibition.

She mentioned several things of interest which may explain things a little bit for us :

1. There are many different incarnations of Star Wars exhibitions travelling around the world over the past few years, including Magic and Myth , and the Smithsonian Star Wars exhibition.

2. All the artifacts are screen used or used as part of the production design process.... none are replicas , so if a hero object is being shown at one exhibition, there may not be another available to display in another exhibition.

3. There are currently 4 different Star Wars exhibitions touring this year. One in Boston, one in Paris, one in Los Angeles, and one in Singapore ( previously from Japan )

4. Different Star Wars exhibitions have different focuses , for example , the Boston exhibition focuses on robotics and the science of Star Wars, so there are many of the vehicles and droids etc being exhibited there. The Los Angeles exhibition is for a fashion institute, so there are only costumes being displayed there, nothing else. Here in Singapore, the exhibition is called the Art of Star Wars , hence you will notice there is a preponderance of posters, original artwork and production designs. Some of these artwork and design and concept plans date back to the original Star Wars in 1977, and are extremely rare.

4. The Art of Star Wars that toured Japan and is now in Singapore is the LARGEST Star Wars exhibition so far , with 275 exhibits. The Magic and Myth exhibition only had 200 exhibits, and the Los Angeles fashion exhibition only has 112 exhibits. If I am not mistaken, the Boston one only has 100 exhibits . However, most of the exhibits at the Art of Star Wars are artwork and framed pieces, which is why the exhibition area looks so sparse .

5. The Singapore Science Centre dedicated TWICE the floor space to the Art of Star Wars compared to last year's LOTR exhibition, which also resulted in the exhibition area looking extremely sparse.

7. There was also an emphasis on EPIII artifacts, because of the recent release of the final film in the saga , and Singapore is one of the first places in the world to exhibit these artifacts. Even though the exhibition toured 10 cities in Japan , only the final few stops received the artifacts in time to exhibit them. Currently, the largest collection of EPIII artifacts in the world are being exhibited here in Singapore. Even the US and UK fans have not seen these artifacts.

7. As I know, all the exhibits have already arrived, so there are no more plans to bring in any more . I will confirm this with Singapore Science Centre over the next few days and update you on this .

I am also a fan of the original trilogy , having grown up in that era , so I share your disappointment that there are not more artifacts from those films , but hey , seeing the Imperial Star Destroyer made the entire exhibition worth while for me ! Did you bend down and look UNDER the prop ? The detail is amazing ! I thought the matt painting of the Death Star detail was also incredible ! Stand back and it looked 3 dimensional ! I always wondered how a matt painting could end up looking so real on film, and now I know. As for the EPIII artifacts, the detail on the large Utapuan sinkhole was mindblowing. I thought it was completely CGI in the film, but they actually created a real model in such amazing detail.

PLUS I think the admission price to the exhibition is probably the lowest in the world for a Star Wars exhibition. I thought it was really priced very reasonably for an exhibition of this calibre.

I hope you'll share more of your thoughts, jowster. Apart from your disappointment, was there anything you enjoyed in particular ?

Talk to you again soon....

daniel

jowster

Art of Star Wars in Singapore

Post by jowster » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:11 pm

hi Daniel,

Thanks for providing further details from your interview with Laela.

Due to the vast number of exhibitions running, concurrently, I guess there are constaints. Now that you've mentioned it, it makes sense that the focus here is on the "Art" of Star Wars.

Well, I would say the highlight for the Singapore exhibition is:

1. You're right, the grand dame- Star Destroyer from the opening sequence in episode IV that first exposed us to the Star Wars universe. Yes, the under-belly is very detailed!

2. Darth Vader operating table. I guess we're one of the first few exhibtions to display that. I wonder if it will look more impressive with a model of Darth strapped there, and a hooded emperor standing beside him?

3. The Jedi Fighter from the opening sequence of ROTS. I believe the onscreen version is computer generated, which explains why the model is grayscale, not colored.

4. the extermely detailed Utapuan sinkhole! You've got to get real close to appreciate the details!

5. Original Ralph Mcquarrie paintings and the matte paintings of the Death Star for ANH

6. Bespin Cloud car and Slave I - notice the pilots of the cloud car! I thought the Slave I should have been displayed in a rectanglular box rather than a bubble glass as there are details from the back of the ship which cannot be seen.

Overall, I would say its worth the $18 price!

By the way, big thanks to the starwars.sg site that made so much updates for the event as well as other discussions from Star Wars. Makes an interesting read indeed.

Jowster

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:27 pm

I want a life-size X-Wing Fighter... :cry:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

DAVID GUIVANT

Post by DAVID GUIVANT » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:43 pm

Hi Mates,

I am curious, we get to see the JEDI STARFIGHTER (Obiwan EPISODE II) in a CHANGI AIRPORT artilcle, advertising for the Singapore Exhibit but is there such an item displayed at the Singapore Science Center?

If not in which country is this item displayed? Since it is my favourite spaceship and it was used in my PRIME OF THE JEDI project.

Cheers.

Dave :roll:
CAPTAIN FUTURE: COMING SOON !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJQnL4Bulk

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:43 am

GetzJedi wrote:I want a life-size X-Wing Fighter... :cry:
Someone was selling one on ebay sometime ago...

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:23 pm

I agree with Dan - this is the "ART" of Star Wars exhibition so for the rest of us who have been to or are expecting something that has been shown before, we need to be open to the fact that this is an exhibition in its own right and the many art pieces on display are truly works of art.

How often do you get to see in person the ORIGINAL art pieces done by RQ that helped GL propose SW to the Studio(s) in the first place?

Plus the ACTUAL matte paintings that were used in the movie and visuals that we have grown so accustomed to over the years?

Looking at all the details in these works are truly an eye opening experience.

I for one am not disappointed at all though I do agree that it appeared "sparse" but that's good cause it means you've got MORE SPACE!!!

Enjoy everyone!! An experience not to be missed!
Warning - viewer discretion advised

SoloFalcon

Post by SoloFalcon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:07 am

I think I saw it in the exhibit towards the mid of the exhibtion area... however it was covered up by wood panels... could it be it is not ready for exhibit? Perhaps Daniel can clarify...
DAVID GUIVANT wrote:Hi Mates,
I am curious, we get to see the JEDI STARFIGHTER (Obiwan EPISODE II) in a CHANGI AIRPORT artilcle, advertising for the Singapore Exhibit but is there such an item displayed at the Singapore Science Center?

If not in which country is this item displayed? Since it is my favourite spaceship and it was used in my PRIME OF THE JEDI project.

Cheers.

Dave :roll:
Trust me princess~

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:39 am

SoloFalcon wrote:I think I saw it in the exhibit towards the mid of the exhibtion area... however it was covered up by wood panels... could it be it is not ready for exhibit? Perhaps Daniel can clarify...
DAVID GUIVANT wrote:Hi Mates,

No, solofalcon, unfortunately that was not the Jedi Starfighter . What you saw enclosed by wood panels was a simulator that Singapore Science Centre uses sometimes for its exhibitions . It was too big and heavy to move out of the exhibition hall, so they just enclosed it as it was not part of the Art of Star Wars .

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:42 am

CRAP! We thought it was Slave I and wanted to return another day to experience it cause we thought it was closed that evening. Ah well...
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Return to “Star Wars Exhibition at the Singapore Science Centre”