Who thinks Darth Vader was too short???

The mega event that came to our sunny island !

Moderators: erase, danchia

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 am

stormtroopers are not cloned from one JANGO host.. and they are actually humans!!!Humans come in all sizes.

Anywae, back 2 topic...When i referred to 1.78m stormtroopers, i meant those luke encountered on the first death star...I mean, luke is only 1.72m, and even drew Leia to comment he was a little "short for a stormtrooper"... So even though stormtroopers r cloned from different hosts, i think its pretty impossible 2 note all their different heights...So when people think of stormtroopers, they generally think 1.78m ones...
"Join me, and together we shall rule the galaxy as one!"

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed May 31, 2006 11:28 am

jemDconqueror wrote:So even though stormtroopers r cloned from different hosts, i think its pretty impossible 2 note all their different heights...So when people think of stormtroopers, they generally think 1.78m ones...
Here's a picture of sandtroopers of different heights... The one talking to Obi Wan was obviously taller than the other 3... An obvious indicator that the other 3 weren't that tall is the leg armour joint behind the knees... You can't see the black bodysuit, unlike the taller one... And they don't look 1.78 m either... Thus it's pretty safe to say that a handful of the stromtroopers in the movie, who had less prominent roles, weren't that tall...

Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Wed May 31, 2006 11:43 am

Well,then how come leia commented luke was too short...I mean,true dat there r different heights from the proof, but then leia did'nt seem to know i guess...anywae, what legion was on board the first death star anywae?

Scene from Episode 4 depicting Death Star Stormtroopers: Note same height

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 am

Thus it's pretty safe to say that a handful of the stromtroopers in the movie, who had less prominent roles, weren't that tall...
Yeah, i guess dat the extras can't all be the same height...

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 am

Anyway, what abt snowtroopers? All pretty much the same as stormtroopers rite, apart from less heavy armour design.Pity we didn't c any at the exibition...

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Wed May 31, 2006 12:15 pm

jemDconqueror wrote:Well,then how come leia commented luke was too short...I mean,true dat there r different heights from the proof, but then leia did'nt seem to know i guess...anywae, what legion was on board the first death star anywae?
I'm sure the comment made by Leia was just to add some humour to the script...

According to the official Star Wars databank, the height of stormtroopers was 1.83 m. We can't be sure, and never will be, that the Empire placed a height requirement for stormtrooper applicants. But we are sure from the never-released conversation between Luke & Biggs in ANH that non-clones served the Empire when it came to power.

As for the Stormtroopers featured in the Original Trilogy, I wouldn't say that they were a part of the 501st Legion, as the costuming club was only formed in 1997. Lucas honoured the club by including the designation in mechandise and references only after 1997.
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Wed May 31, 2006 12:33 pm

In one of the previous issues of Star Wars Insider, it was stated that a number of the Stormtroopers are Clones; clones of excellent soldiers that joined the Stormtrooper Ranks or even currently serving as Imperial Officers post ROTS. I can post the quote later when I find that issue in my room that can rival Watto's Junkyard.

But of course, being a OT fan (I started back in 1995 when Prequels Movies and theories don't exist), I still believe a good no. of Stormtroopers are regular boys/men that had been recruited into the Imperial Army. ;)

As for our Costumers Heightwise, well, if we are to restrict our costumes/armor to what is suited to our height according to the movie, there won't be that much costumers. Costuming and Props Making is a Passion and nothing trival like height and race (except maybe shape; don't expect an Obese Girl to do Bikini Leia isn't it? :wink: ) should be in our way. And people like me will have not much characters to do as I'm only about 1.52m, neither here nor there. :shock:

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 pm

How the empire can find millions of 1.78m tall men to be stormtroopers?They are onli cloned from different hosts as per mentioned by the book...
And how many stormtroopers Leia actually see before the death star? haha... :twisted:
wat's with the height issue here? heehee... I dun get it? why don't we discuss about wookies or ewoks height? hee hee... :twisted:
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:55 am

I still believe a good no. of Stormtroopers are regular boys/men that had been recruited into the Imperial Army.

No wonder we c them as regular idiots in the classic trilogy :roll: no way as efficient as the original clones from the prequels... actually, u noe, jango clones were special bcuz they dun get claustrophobic in their armour...so if the stormtroopers r regular humans, which means dat they will lk diff, how cum we never c any unique faces or people in the imperial ranks, bar the officers? :shock: i mean, the conscripts can't stay in their armour for an indefinite amount of time as they r not specially conditioned? And anywae, the empire not very pop rite? So how cum the empire has volunteers?

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:00 am

Conscripts would rebel or something right? I mean, if they dun lyk d empire at all???And they are fanatical enough during the trilogy, considering the losses they sustai...Pretty motivated for conscripts...

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Think this discussion will go on and on and on with assumptions... Let's stick with the facts...

1) After the rise of the Empire, we know that an Imperial Academy existed cos Biggs Darklighter was going there (unreleased scene in ANH).

2) Stormtroopers didn't fight as well as Clonetroopers cos they might be mostly conscripts and did not possess the instincts and abilities of a bounty hunter.

3) We didn't see Imperial Officers with same faces, ie. clones, so we can't really be sure if clones were still serving the Empire after it rose.

4) It's just a movie... Having too many questions will just spoil the magic... :wink:
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:14 pm

GetzJedi wrote: 4) It's just a movie... Having too many questions will just spoil the magic... :wink:
Indeed, totally agree :D

just the same why we should not ask about the what's and why's of midichlorians :lol:

renzaijh

Post by renzaijh » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:21 pm

Soon somebody will be asking "Why did George Lucas even come up with such a TALL story and whether it represents the HEIGHT of his career?"

Perhaps the moderator should consider locking this thread.

Awwee

Post by Awwee » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 pm

If I am correct... one stormtrooper did show his face... a lot.. hee hee... ex-stormtrooper... HAN SOLO!!!.... :twisted:
MEPD Police Officer
DS-809 Vampire 4 Omegawing
TI/TK/TD-9809 501st Singapore Garrison
Time the Dirty Boyz play....

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:34 pm

jemDconqueror wrote:
2 note all their different heights...So when people think of stormtroopers, they generally think 1.78m ones...
i think we must not forget these are american / european stunt actors in the show...so they are on average taller than us...and as asians we are no doubt smaller and shorter...so i think let;s accept that...unless one wants to attempt sawing their own legs and do a bone transplant...and last but not least, all imperial troopers of any types are clones intially which is jango and maybe other bounty who are definitely that height...is altered gene...comon...

Return to “Star Wars Exhibition at the Singapore Science Centre”