Quick Look: Sculpting A Galaxy (Limited Edition)

Statues and all other Star Wars collectibles (Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Lego...)

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

Valentin

Quick Look: Sculpting A Galaxy (Limited Edition)

Post by Valentin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:28 am

Sculpting A Galaxy: Inside the Star Warsâ„¢ Model Shop
Item #: Reference Book
UPC/EAN/ISBN: 9781933784106
Manufacturer/Publisher: Insight Editions / Palace Press
Deluxe Edition: 3000pcs (worldwide)
Release date: 14 November 2006
R.R.P.: USD$395.00
Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars Model Shop Limited Edition:

From the producers of the acclaimed Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars comes an inside look at the secrets behind the saga's artful models and sculptures. Lorne Peterson, model and sculpture designer for the entire Star Wars saga, takes us on a journey through the intricate process of crafting and sculpting the models, from sketch to screen, and the amazing artistry behind the dazzling results.

Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars Model Shop features more than three hundred full-color photographs and illustrations from the Lucasfilm archives, models from all six films, interviews, images, and text from the concept sculptors, an overview of the Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) model shop from 1976 through today, and numerous gatefolds of the most-loved models.

ILM virtually redefined visual effects and blazed a trail into the digital realm. Follow Peterson behind the cameras and into the rarely seen workshops with this amazing exploration of movie magic. Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars Model Shop offers the first in-depth examination of these amazing models, as well as a penetrating behind-the-scenes view of their creation, punctuated by Lorne Peterson's exuberance and dedication to craft. This unique visual treat is a must-have fior any Star Wars fan!

Limited Edition Features Includes:

• Incredible Tri-fold Box; containing a deluxe hardcover edition and actual model reproductions, extra booklets and DVD

• Models reproduced from the original cast and handpainting of Lorne Peterson: including the Landspeeder with removeable figures of Luke Skywalker, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, & C-3PO, plus Death Star surface models

• DVD featuring Star Wars model shop documentaries

• Expanded edition hardcover includes six additional gatefolds, 12 page booklet, an accordion styled foldout with cut-outs of the ships, 16 page booklet, gatefold of the "family tree" of creators and modelmakers

• Limited Edition of 3,000 signed and numbered copies

• Certificate of Authenticity

Preface by George Lucas
All thumbnails are clickable, and will bring you to it's hi-res at 1024x768pixels.

I wasn't expecting to find this in sg, much less the limited edition version, after such a long time. And splurge on it, I did, big time.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the packaging pics.
Image Image Image

This product is loaded with plenty of extras, as compared to the normal edition. And the way it is presented and packaged, just makes the deal sweeter. Opening the front flap, presents us the signature, and the sculpted piece of the MF.

Held closed and firmed by magnets for both flaps, opening the second flap, reveals,

Here's a close-up look on the DVD pocket,
I seriously wonder how the sideshow gift card ended up in there, unless Kinokuniya actually ordered this via Sideshow Collectiblesâ„¢ website?

Looking at the sculpted pieces, I totally dig the way they have been stored to prevent any damage to them.
Image Image

A closer look at the detailing of the Death Star pieces,
Image Image Image
Apparently, the 7 sculpted pieces can connect to show off a line of the surface of Death Star. Which I only realized after browsing the web on it. Thus, I will try to update on this once I have more time to take a photo of it.

Here's the landspeeder, with all pieces assembled on it,

Just beneath the storage of the sculpted pieces, we can access the other 2 books from the side,
Image Image

The "Plastics to Pixels" booklet shows some of the shots of the prequels in excellent detail.

The main reason for purchasing set,

The hardcover binding beneath the sleeve,

The COA and numbered release,
Image Image

The main book shows really stunning visuals and with most of printed to fill the entire page.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Some more of the extras not available in the normal edition,
Image Image

As a collector, I tend to go for DK books, with a focus for their cross-section books for more realistic technical drawings. Picking up this was a big chance, and frankly speaking, I would have totally bypass it, and gone for the normal edition instead with the vast difference in pricing. Though, once I saw the size of this with my own eyes, all my previous misgivings on this just vanished.

And if you have the spare cash, forget about the normal edition, go for this instead.

References:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Galaxy- ... 1933784105
Star Wars Shop: http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/produc ... _id=405590
Wookipedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sculptin ... Model_Shop
Review by Parkablogs: http://parkablogs.com/content/book-revi ... model-shop

Thanks for reading. :wink:
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

icemann

heyhey

Post by icemann » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 am

hey hey..
how much was kino selling it for? =)
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

gundam_skywalker

Re: heyhey

Post by gundam_skywalker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm

icemann wrote:hey hey..
A price you won't want to pay for. :lol:

TD7620

Post by TD7620 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm

I was lucky enough to get the un-limited edition as a birthday present once. It is a really interesting book to read.

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:23 pm

gundam_skywalker wrote:
Well, it's not so bad, they give me additional discounts due to some dents on the box. It's the last piece anyway, and the outer plastic wrapping was so full of dust, they nearly missed it when searching the storeroom for it.

@ TD7620: I have yet to really sit down to enjoy the book, though while flipping through the pages of visuals to do up this quick review, it was quite a tasty visual experience.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:13 pm

congrats! an awesome tome for a most ardent fan! :D
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

icemann

Post by icemann » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:47 pm

hahaha

when i saw it.. it was selling for about 800 bucks...
the funny thing is... i tot a while back.. its only retailing for 600 plus..

did kino increase the price?

did u get the dressing a galaxy too?
i find that one too pricey for the contents worth.... :?

gundam_skywalker wrote:
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 pm

No idea on the price increase. The price tag beneath the plastic wrapping had the RRP at SING 749.00, of which the final price I paid for it was just slightly less than 600.

Nope, I only got this due to my interest in the vehicles.

@masteryoyo: Thanks. Now, am just hoping for some spare time to sit down and browse through the contents for a whole day. muahahahaha... :twisted:
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

zhengjiez

Post by zhengjiez » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

_
Last edited by zhengjiez on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icemann

epi 123 456

Post by icemann » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:06 am

cool...

which one's ur favourite? =)

zhengjiez wrote:Incredible book you got there! Just wondering who is it signed by?
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

Return to “Other Star Wars Collectibles”