Pictorial Review: Lego 8083 Rebel Trooperâ„¢ Battle Pack

Statues and all other Star Wars collectibles (Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Lego...)

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

Valentin

Pictorial Review: Lego 8083 Rebel Trooperâ„¢ Battle Pack

Post by Valentin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35 am

Product: 8083 Rebel Trooperâ„¢ Battle Pack
Theme: Star Wars EPV: The Empire Strikes Back
No of pieces: 79
Release Date: January 2010
RRP: SGD30.90/USD10.99
Availability: Lego Shop@Home, Retail Outlets(Worldwide)
Help the Rebels defend their base on Hoth!

Build up your Rebel forces and celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back!When the Empire attacks the hidden Rebel base on the ice planet Hoth, brave Rebel troopers and pilots fight back with their combat speeder with flick-firing missiles. Includes 3 Rebel troopers in cold-weather gear and Rebel pilot Zev Senesca.

• Includes Rebel combat speeder vehicle, Rebel pilot Zev Sensca and 3 Rebel troopers
• Launch the 2 flick-firing missiles mounted on the ice-cutting combat speeder
• Rebel troopers equipped with cold-weather gear including the NEW Hoth helmet
• Measures over 4" (10cm) long
All thumbnails are clickable and will bring you to a hi-res version at 800x600pixels.

The packaging:
Image Image
It's rather amusing, that the back of the packaging shows both battlepacks in a mock battle scene. Usually, it's more of images related like different creations of using the same available bricks.

I actually pre-ordered this, since the membership price provided was like 20% retail. And it's not really a cheap battlepack to army build either. Anyway, on with the review.

In it, there's 2 bags and an instructional leaflet.

Snapshots of the leaflet:
Image Image Image Image Image

It's quite a quick build, with 4 mini-figs and a speeder. And here's the leftover pieces.

Let's take a look at the mini-figs. There's Zev Senescaâ„¢, Hoth Officerâ„¢, and 2 Hoth Rebel Troopersâ„¢ respectively shown in sequence.
Image Image Image Image
As mentioned on the Lego site, the headgear for the troopers are new. And I definitely prefer them this way, since it's more screen accurate. Way to go, TLG. For Zev, his visor is printed on his head. The artwork on the helmet is certainly interesting.

Let's take a look at the combat speeder, and here's the 7 views of it.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
The combat speeder does remind me of the mini-rigs that kenner/hasbro have to accommodate the figures with a mini size vehicle. The flick fire missile while an interesting addition, do not really highlight much of the vehicle in my opinion. Though, the detail at which the design of the vehicle allows the driver and troopers to temporary store their weapons definitely is worthy of mention.

A reenactment...

Overall, this battlepack, while provides a way to army build rebel hoth troopers, is still quite costly for the RRP of a licensed product. IMHO.
Then again, if there's more of these at 20% off retail, I just might consider 4 more packs to shore up my defenses for Echo Base.

Thanks for reading.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

Return to “Other Star Wars Collectibles”