Pictorial Review: Republic Swamp Speederâ„¢

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

Valentin

Pictorial Review: Republic Swamp Speederâ„¢

Post by Valentin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 am

Star Wars Episode III The Revenge of the Sith - Republic Swamp Speederâ„¢
Asst. #: 94812/94804
UPC/EAN/ISBN: 653569514879
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Release Date: Oct 2010 (Jan 2011, SG)
R.R.Price: USD$26.99, SGD$59.90{39.90}
Swamp speeders are used by clone troopers to travel over soft, marshy terrain found on worlds such as Kashyyyk and Felucia. Propelled by a rear turbofan, the vehicles hover above the ground, skimming over land that would hamper the movement of wheeled vehicles and walkers. These two-person repulsorlift speeders have front-mounted twin laser cannons and provide infantry support to the Republic's clone army.
Features:
• Rolling Wheels!
• Firing Cannons!
• Can hold 2 figures!
{All thumbnails are clickable, and will bring you to it's hi-res version}

Image Image

The iconic swamp speeder, or infantry support platform, is mainly a 2-man craft. I have yet to go into depth on researching this, though some references as follows,
• http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicl ... index.html
• http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Infantry ... t_Platform
This is one of the more anticipated vehicles for myself, and Hasbro certainly delivers this time round. Without further ado, let's tear into the packaging...

Image Image Image

Here's the diorama insert.

The craft, before and after assembly,
Image Image
For this vehicle, it was strange that there was no instructional leaflet for it. In fact, after checking on certain forums(Rebelscum.com), there is supposed to be a leaflet and a tweezer-like tool pack-in. Mine had none, and without photos of those items, I can't verify that they are indeed missing on mine.

Here's the 6 views of the vehicle,
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Here's the close-up of the cannons,
While the cannons can rotate almost 360 degrees, the flick-fire action is just to trigger-happy, and can easily allow one to loose a missile unknowingly. As a collector, I would rather scrap the action-feature.

The detailing, paintwork, and weathering is definitely one of the best on this vehicle, as it's just so realistic.
Image Image Image Image

The seat belts feature is one thing that is so cool, and yet can frustrate plenty of fans...
Image Image Image Image
Am using a phase I clone, though a plain phase II clone should also fit without much of a complaint.
• 1st, remove both top, and just a single side connection.
• 2nd, after settling the figure in, fit back the side connection with a pair of tweezers.
• 3rd, repeat the tweezer action with the top connectors.

A comparison of scale with the barc speeder and the AT-TE,
Image Image

For a first release, this is definitely a worthwhile vehicle to pick up, despite it's short screentime in the movie. While I would prefer this to have less action features and more internal workings, like a rotating turbo fan, and actual cloth straps for the seat belts, etc.

At the time of this review, the stock is slowly coming for this, together with it's assortment of AT-AP, AAT and Hyena Bomber. Will aim to take more photos once I have more time. :wink:

Thanks for reading.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

jenki

Post by jenki » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 pm

put a layer of scotch tape at the missile's ends? thats what i always do... so even if u accidentally press the button or something it won't fly out

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 pm

all thanks to Valentin's excellent review... masteryoyo bought a swamp speeder at 39.90 at OG Albert today.

Now that yoyo is an owner, here's yoyo's opinion: sculpt-wise, the swamp speeder is definitely one of, if not, the best vehicle of this mid-range class. Very detailed design and well-structured transport. In terms of paint and weathering, the speeder does look cool as a clone military vehicle. On the negative side, low on features and functionality. In fact, there are only the blasters to boast about. The speeder is ready quite small (like a POTF landspeer).

The moment yoyo opened the box, yoyo feels that it is NOT worth the money. So why did yoyo buy it? Because of impulse and the kiasu sg mentality lor. Not many swamp speeders left on the shelf. If wait for price to drop, scalpers may rush in again. sigh....
Last edited by masteryoyo on Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Actually, the moment I opened up the packaging, and pulled out the tray, i shared the same sentiments as you, but I was thinking along the line of "when did hasbro learned from lego and started packing more air instead of plastic for starwars products."

In fact, this craft has indeed grown on me due to the weathering and detailing, and I am looking forward to build up a small squadron of these to accompany either the AT-TE or Turbo Tank.
TK3835 [Hooters]
501st Legion

Return to “Star Wars Toys”