Building a Better Boba

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:22 pm

I officially turned my attention to this figure’s final fine detail phase.

I needed to outfit custom Boba with a holster for his side arm blaster. Only 2 Hasbro Boba Fetts have included this side holster (POTJ 300th Fett, and the most recent Legacy Collection / 2010 Vintage Collection sculpt). Both figures included the holster as a permanently molded part of the right thigh.

Once again, I let my razor do the talking. I chose the POTJ holster for my project (because of its superior sharpness and detail ) Sliced it right off of the fodder figure, and then transferred it over (as a separate wearable accessory) to my custom Boba Fett.

Last edited by darklord1967 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:23 pm

COLLARS AND SLEEVES

Hoo-boy! Tonight was about some serious, finger-aching, detail work on ol’ Custom Boba Fett.

I decided to add the correct short sleeves to Boba’s flack vest so that his shoulder bells could be placed in their final positions (attached to the sleeves).

As per my usual procedure, I began by making a paper template of the basic shape of the sleeve, and test-fit the pattern against the shoulder of the figure.

I then used the pattern to cut the basic shape in fabric, and then I created a fold-over finish seam on the sleeve’s edge. Each sleeve was very carefully glued into the arm holes of the flack vest and checked for final symmetry.

I know they were not accurate, but I really liked those two little raised details on the front of the collar armor which I fashioned from a vintage Kenner Boba Fett figure. Consequently, I was pretty sad to have to shave them off, and sand the area smooth.

I replaced all of the armor back onto the figure, and once again checked the overall stance and attitude of ol’Boba… now with his new flack vest sleeves!

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 pm

GET ‘IM ON THE SHINS!!

There has always been a detail on all Boba Fett action figures that I really wish had been treated like any of his loose weapon accessories: The shin pocket tools . I’ve honestly never really liked how the tools (and the pockets they were stored in), were always treated as a solid molded part of his lower leg sculpts.

Now when I embarked upon this project, I fully intended to include working shin pockets and separate tools details for my custom figure. But I had no idea what I was in for. I only partially succeeded in my effort since it wasn’t really possible for me to create accurate versions of the tools in this scale, AND to have them all fit into working shin pockets that were not actually made of cloth.

In the end, I made a compromise between screen accuracy and functionality that nevertheless preserved the established aesthetic of the figure.

I began by razoring out the two shin pockets that I intended to use on this figure. Although the two pockets came from two different figures, I selected them because they were size-compatible with one another, and because they matched the main Imperial Scanning Crewman jumpsuit color.

POTJ 300th figure Boba Fett provided the left shin pocket, while Legacy Evolutions Fett provided the right one.

I carefully used my trusty razor to cut out the two solid shin pocket “blocksâ€

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 pm

HELMET DETAILING

Sometimes the fine detail phase is fun. And sometimes it is NOT.

Tonight, it was definitely NOT fun!

I worked to finalize the final details of Boba Fett’s helmet and it was truly a tedious experience.

Using strip styrene, I re-created the raised ridge details at the back of the helmet (which were lost during the cranial enlargement operation I performed three weeks ago).

I carefully measured the required size of the raised ridge and began assembling it off of the helmet. I made 45 degree angled miter cuts at the corners to form the right angles on this raised detail.

Let’s just say that when the strips are this small, performing this operation accurately requires more that a few attempts.

When the square ridge detail had fully set, I painted it in the correct dull red.

While I waited for the paint to dry, I painted the rear bottom half of the helmet in dark green.

Using superglue, I carefully attached the assembled, painted ridge to the rear of the helmet.

I next turned my attention to the helmet’s rangefinder.

I really felt like I needed to correct the rubbery, overly thick rod of the rangefinder into something that was thinner and cleaner.

I actually used a single staple from a grapple gun, straightened it, and attached the rangefinder tip. I was very pleased with its overall slender metallic look once it was attached to the helmet.

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Alright, some PM'ed requests have come in for some up to date photos of the custom Boba Fett figure in it's current state. It's also been requested to make the photos a bit less "shadowy" so that all details of the figure are visible.

Well here are some new photos more frontally lit.

Since the last time a full body shot of the figure was taken, I added:

1) The Working Shin Pockets with separate Shin tools (veneers) to get away from the standard production figure's molded look. The pockets have since been made even MORE flush again the figure's shins (they were a bit too bulky before / Now they are correct). NOTE: Looking at these new photos, I am SOOOOO glad that I went to the trouble of creating these pockets and tools veneers. To my eyes they make such a huge difference in the final look of the figure when compared to the molded pocket/shins look.

2) The stalk for the helmet's rangefinder has been made much stronger, straighter, slimmer, and sturdier (with the use of a grapple gun staple)

3) The rear of the helmet has had the ridge details finalized (not visible from these photos).

DEATILS STILL PENDING:

1) All pieces of armor (crotch, torso plates, backpack mount, collar armor) painted (if needed) and final glue.

2) Fastening straps added to the the backs of armored knee pads, and to the underside of crotch armor.

3) Final gloved hands painted and the raised white details added to the backs of both hands

4) Bicep sleeve cuffs sculpted to both upper arms

5) Power feed tube added to right arm wrist weapon gauntlet.

6) Final decal graphics added to back rocketpack

7) Tiny fastening studs added to collar armor shoulder seams. Aperature drilled into collar armor for side cape fastening.

8) Correct color wookie braids (3 strands) added and bundled with correct red and black bands.

9) Flack vest turtle neck created in fabric to match the rest of the garment.

10) Touch ups on paint rubs on the utility belt and left hand wrist gauntlet weapon.

11) Darkening right shoulder bell into (correct) deep orange (while left shoulder bell stays the current (correct) yellow.

12) Performing silver paint touch ups on steel toe spikes and steel fastening studs on sides on armored knee pads.

13) Lastly, Laser rifle updated into correct configuration to match prop as seen in film.

maulsith

Post by maulsith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm totally really reallllllllly impressed Roberto. You're soooooooooo goood.Totally hats off... :o
My Hunt List : Gentle Giant Bust
viewtopic.php?t=3960

myrontay

Post by myrontay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Wow!

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Roberto... Oh My Goodness!!! Impressive work! :o
Administrator. Starwars.sg
IC/IS 3081. 501st Legion (Singapore Garrison)

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

FINALIZING THE ARMOR

Alright, when last we saw custom Boba Fett, there were a few items that were awaiting attention on my “Still Pendingâ€

darklord1967

Post by darklord1967 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:43 pm

As most of you know, my camera was down for about a month, preventing me from documenting some of my work on this figure.

I was therefore unable to document some progress steps that occurred during the camera’s repair time.

Since those updates on the figure will be evident in the photos that I’m about to post anyway, I will list what those updates were.

1) The rangefinder on Boba’s helmet was shortened by about 2½ scale inches.
2) The cheek stripes on the helmet were re-painted in the correct flat black.
3) The T-visor on the helmet was re-painted in a darker shade of red. (Note: this T-visor re-paint was something that I was originally NOT planning to do . But admittedly I did change my mind about the desirability of the “toyeticâ€

Return to “Star Wars Toys”