A clone by any other name is still a clone ...

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

masteryoyo

A clone by any other name is still a clone ...

Post by masteryoyo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

A reflection....
many moons ago, when masteryoyo was still padawanyoyo, he received a kenner landspeeder and vintage luke, obi, r2 and c3 figures at MPH stamford after watching ANH at capitol theatre. padawanyoyo played with the toys day and night (sometimes crashing the speeder against the wall) haha. playtime spent with just one vehicle n 4 figures is in the order of months....

padawanyoyo has since grown up and continues to acquire sw toys. however, the intensity of excitement has waned significantly. now, masteryoyo just acquires blindly for the sake of collecting. playtime is at most hours.... but wat's wrong with acquiring more sw stuff? NOTHING wrong

BUT... masteyoyo feels that with the many variants, recards and repacks using the same mould, masteryoyo is buying the SAME figure repeatedly...

Take the recent cmdr ponds TRU. To put it simply, it is just another clone. Nothing special (perhaps, only some unknown inscriptions on back of helmet). the paint is a dull maroon. For that matter, most TCW clones r the same with some minor color changes but its causing collectors/scalpers to scramble ...

Isnt a clone just a clone? Just because the clone is named, collectors pay a premium for it. Clones, by definition, r capable of rapid replication... very soon the manufacturer would come out with cmdrs Apple, Boy, Cat, Durian, England, ... Xylophone, Yakult and Zebra and we would just buy and buy and buy and buy ... (worse still... feed a growing number of scalpers...)

Blinded by the dark side, have we? :cry:
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

lewdini

Post by lewdini » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 am

A background...
Lewdini has been collecting since the 1994/95 POTF2 orange cards. Lewdini got hooked into collecting after finding a orange carded TIE fighter pilot, Long Saber Dagobah Luke and a Yoda figure from Yishun TRU. Now nearly 15 years later, Lewdini is still collecting 1 of everything 3 3/4.
Lewdini believes that a true collector should be excited at new toys, not just new clones. Lewdini is especially excited when the big H (Hasbro) decides to make a never before released character from the Star Wars saga.

Lewdini is irritated when people misuse the rare word. People often come up to Lewdini saying a particular figure is rare, as people tend to grab that particular figure when it is actually coming in the same numbers as other figures in its wave or assortment. High demand doesnt equal rare. Rare is when its very hard to come by. The fact that a particular figure is snapped up by Resellers hoping to generate a profit doesnt make that figure rare.
3 3/4 Completist!

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 am

Masteryoyo, I am happy to see you still have those playtime memories. Toys are suppose to be play with.

For me, I collect loose because you can play when it is loose. I don't suppose you can play with it if it is on package, right? :wink: I still remember when they re-release the Star Wars figures after stopping for almost 10 years. I bought the orange card figures and open them up. Then my friend said, he never open up the figures at all. I hesitated for a while.... then I still open them. :lol: I think if you intend to sell them then it is reasonable to keep them in package. If it is yours, do you air-tight your clothings and keep them in storeroom? :roll:

Just open them up and enjoy....... :wink:

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:27 am

please do let 2-1b go and release it from the dungeons ... have mercy and pity on 2-1b (it has at least saved luke from the frost-bites on Hoth)... the sight of it being tortured by 9D9 and 8d8 is unbearable :cry:

Afternote: glad that masteryoyo's little reflection has illicited some poignant memories from fellow collectors ... :D :D
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

torque6

Post by torque6 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:19 pm

nice collection? real sand? nice setup.

jenki

Post by jenki » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:35 pm

use reservist credits buy snake powder act as snow =X

trooperJ

Post by trooperJ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:07 am

YES!
BEST collection is LOOSE collection

In the end, its just a toy...
I agree, just open it and enjoy

Why do we collect SW?
Because it brings back the happy childhood memories
And because it looks cool !!!

PLAY with toys, or let your children
It will make you happier
and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
:D :D

trooperJ

Post by trooperJ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 am

Hahahah!!

Is Han looking at topless Luke in a wrong way? :D :D
I almost thought they were holding hands.
Chewie--- Saturday night fever,nice :D

jenki

Post by jenki » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 am

he's right though .-. hasbro keeps coming up with new and improve versions of the clone trooper, like the upcoming 327th corps comes with a cloth kama, or the clone trooper from gunship turret pack is a super-arti with removable helmet. i think its a matter of time before they start repaining the TAC SA Gree body into everything else .-.

hunter

gundam

Post by hunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 am

gundam......quite a collection u have there but i think still not enough....u need more fm me..... :lol:

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Back to the topic title, I'd tend to agree with masteryoyo about his point about having too many clones too fast. It is all about the money..we were doing fine with one version of Stormtrooper from 1977 to 2002. But now Hasbro is just banking of the passion of Star Wars fans and just keep releasing repaints after repaints of clone. I initially tried collecting clones but now i find it a dread and just sold everything.

Now even TKs aren't spared..with jump trooper, stormtrooper commander, shadow trooper, spacetrooper, darktrooper, incinerator trooper etc

Anyway, the 'rare' or 'exclusive' nowadays are in such large number that it is pointless. (think of theater luke vs SDCC smiling luke) You would think you have gotten a rare figure, but as long as Hasbro know there are collectors who wants it but couldn't get it, they would re-release them again. Check out the new 'repackaged' comic packs for the fan 'who missed them the first time around'.

I understand that the license of Star wars to Hasbro is coming to an end soon but the rate they are churning out toys is just too fast, compared to the time when I first started collecting in 1995 :o

No offence to any CW out there, I'm sure you guys derive some thrill from collecting all these clones but I'd say, enough with the gimmick hasbro IMHO :roll:

On a more positive note, I am happy that Hasbro is going to release Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Guy) in the up-coming legacy card. He has always been a joke in the SW community. Why would a guy carry a ice cream machine while evacuating bespin city upon hearing the imminent attack by the empire of all things xD

I want a Bastila Shan figurine!!

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes, come to the part of repaints, I am very familiar as I keep track quite closely. First, they come out with Order 66, all repaint figures. Then Order 66 part 2, more repaints. Then Battle Front II multi packs, more repaints, more re-sculpt. Mandalorians. Joker Squads. Crimson Empire Crucible...... There seems to be no ending. For me, I will just stick to the 6 movies. :roll:

jenki

Post by jenki » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 pm

BASTILA SHAN!!! ALL HAIL BASTILA SHAN!!! =x

lewdini

Post by lewdini » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 pm

I hope they do some of the characters in the comics from KOTOR, Legacy, Dark Times

I would love to have a Zayne Carrick and Celeste Morne comic pack!
3 3/4 Completist!

icemann

Re: A clone by any other name is still a clone ...

Post by icemann » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 am

indeed yoyo

for the same sentiments.. i have almost completely given up on the later hasbro bull manure... now limiting my impulsive buys to intersting new vehicles only
initally... the journey is strewn with much temptations when repaints kept hitting the stores.. instead of comin up with fresh stuff to comlpete the galaxy.. they keep spitting out rubbish.. exploiting the collectivist passion in us.. squeezing us dry with silly colour variants and new packaging

take me for rides no more .. i have turned my back on hasbro.. its so has-been...

masteryoyo wrote:A reflection....
many moons ago, when masteryoyo was still padawanyoyo, he received a kenner landspeeder and vintage luke, obi, r2 and c3 figures at MPH stamford after watching ANH at capitol theatre. padawanyoyo played with the toys day and night (sometimes crashing the speeder against the wall) haha. playtime spent with just one vehicle n 4 figures is in the order of months....

padawanyoyo has since grown up and continues to acquire sw toys. however, the intensity of excitement has waned significantly. now, masteryoyo just acquires blindly for the sake of collecting. playtime is at most hours.... but wat's wrong with acquiring more sw stuff? NOTHING wrong

BUT... masteyoyo feels that with the many variants, recards and repacks using the same mould, masteryoyo is buying the SAME figure repeatedly...

Take the recent cmdr ponds TRU. To put it simply, it is just another clone. Nothing special (perhaps, only some unknown inscriptions on back of helmet). the paint is a dull maroon. For that matter, most TCW clones r the same with some minor color changes but its causing collectors/scalpers to scramble ...

Isnt a clone just a clone? Just because the clone is named, collectors pay a premium for it. Clones, by definition, r capable of rapid replication... very soon the manufacturer would come out with cmdrs Apple, Boy, Cat, Durian, England, ... Xylophone, Yakult and Zebra and we would just buy and buy and buy and buy ... (worse still... feed a growing number of scalpers...)

Blinded by the dark side, have we? :cry:
this boy is dangerous
i choose to be happy

Return to “Star Wars Toys”