Evolutions Reviews!

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Evolutions Reviews!

Post by e3lipse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:32 pm

Pretty sure lots of you all wanna find out, what the heck is so great about this evo sets
Heres reviews that i found on rebelscum and for your convenience, ill be posting it here, to save you from rummaging through pages to find it
Well!!!

First up is
1. Sith Evo
2. Clone Evo
3. Anakin Evo
Last edited by e3lipse on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:34 pm

I picked up this at a Super Wal-Mart. Believe me, if I saw the Clone to Stormtrooper set, I would have gotten that, but this was the last one they had.

This set contains: Darth Maul- The Sith Return (Ep I), Count Dooku- The Clone Wars (Ep II) and Emperor Palpatine- The Republic Falls (Ep III).

SCULPT:
Maul: This is the first new version of Darth Maul since 2002's EU Training one, and his sculpt is nicely done. His angry face sculpt blows away that Maul and any previous ones. The detail on the boots are impecable with all these cool buckles. The added cloth isn't necessary, but isn't overdone and doesn't interfere with his poseability. 10/10
Dooku: We just got a new Dooku in April for the ROTS line, but this one still manages to be incredibly different. The differences are fairly visible: his tunic 'extention' (or whatever you want to call it; I can't bring myself to call it a skirt) is cloth, the face sculpt is different and looks even more like Christopher Lee and the cape is different. Very different. It's two layers, the dark brown outside and the light brown inside. 10/10
Palpatine: This Palpatine more closely resembles the ROTJ Palpatine than the ROTS. Also, I HATE his head! The likeness is dead on, but the only time he was ever snarling was when he was shocking Luke in ROTJ! I would rather have had his classic smug smile than this. When he was snarling in ROTS, it was at Yoda and he ws in an entirely different outfit (I hope Hasbro makes that Palpatine in Saga 2 somewhere)! I would've loved to had seen an alternate head included of Palpatine emoionless, but that didn't happen. 8/10
OVERALL SET: 9.34/10

PAINT: As with the Anakin set, I really can't find any paint problems on any of the three figures. 10/10

ACCESSORIES: Whoa! Lots and lots of stuff.
Maul's cloak: Doesn't work. It's pretty useless. It's too big and short in length. I think they should've just given us a cloth cloak...or none at all.
Maul's Electrobinoculars: Doesn't work. Seriously. Due to Maul's swivel elbows (:mad:), you cannot have him hold them up to his eyes.
Probe Droid and stand: Exactly the same as the one included in the 2002 Maul. Now, Hasbro needs to throw in another one with a Maul so I can have 3! :p
Sith Lightning hands: Both can be swapped with either Palpatine's or Dooku's hands. I love these.
The lightsaber's: All are re-used sculpts. But Maul's is the worst. They couldn't make a new one with a flare and removable blades. :(
Palpatine's cane: :grin: This works!
I think Hasbro wanted to give us things just to give them (Maul's cloak, binoculars and Probe Droid), but most of these are cool (the cane and lightning hands). Overall, a mixed bunch of stuff. 8/10

ARTICULATION: Each figure is pretty standard in Super-Articulated terms.
Maul has 20 POA, but he has those swivel elbows!!!!! :mad: :mad: :( He also has a nice ball-jointed waist, though.
Dooku has 22 because he has a full ball-jointed elbows. A much better improvement over the ROTS Dooku, which missed ball-jointed ankles.
Palpatine has the same articulation as Dooku does.
9.5/10

Here's a Dooku comparison shot:
Left: Geonosian Escape (SAGA, 2003), Center: ROTS (2005) and Evolutions (2005)

And for fun:

OVERALL: 9.21/10 The set is impecably good, but here are some things I would've loved to had seen Hasbro do with the set:
-Make Maul's saber be able to be broken in half
-Make Maul be able to split in 2
-Give Palpatine an extra expressionless head
-Throw in a Holo Sidious.
Other than that, this set is incredibly great, and I'd recomend getting it as soon as you see it. Now, we have all the Sith Lords in Super-Ariculated form, just because of the Evolutions line! Now, we just need a Senate Deul Palpatine...

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:36 pm

AOTC Clone Trooper:

Sculpt: This figure is well sculptet. The clone armor is accurate and the face reflects a younger Jango from AOTC (Bodie Taylor). The pilot helmet is not as accurate as the standard yellow clone helmet. 9/10

Paint: Great detail work on the dirt, this gives it a real battle feel. The yellow paint is well done and not at all sloppy. 10/10

Articulation: Almost as articulated as an SA Clone, however missing the stomach joint. It does add a rigid look. 7/10

Accessories: I used the standard clone blaster, better detailing than the normal issued one. The clone helmet just looks off to me. 7/10.

Overall: A well done figure. The fact that the helmet is removable makes up for the lack of waist articulation.

ROTS: Felucia Clone
Sculpt: Nicley done Jano-esk face. The body is accuate with the yellow markings of Commander Bly's unit. It is more detailed than the #33 Clone Commander. The only error is the chin that protrudes when the helmet is on. 8/10

Articulation: The pauldron lifts the helmet too high and causes chin visability. He too lacks the waist articulation. 8/10

Paint: There is a great amount of dirt detail in the skirt, shins, and feet. The yellow paint is right on and the face has a good application. 9/10

Accessories: Comes with the two mini blasters that fit well in the holsters and a clone rifle. 10/10

Overall: This is my favorite of the set. While flawed it fits in nicely with my other clones. It will look even better when we add Commander Bly in a few months.

ANH Sandtrooper:
Sculpt: This is very similar to the VOTC Stormtrooper with the addition of an orange pauldron. The sculpt is very nicely done and movie accurate. 9/10

Paint: Sand damage is visible on the legs and feet and it has a desert worn look to it. 9/10

Articulation: Very much like the VOTC Stormtrooper, however he lacks waist articulation. 8/10

Overall: Any addition to the OTC armies is a welcomed one. He looks great next to my OTC Sandtrooper with the binoculars (my POTF2 sandtrooper, Dewback with trooper, and trooper with droid are all packed away). The grey paundroned variant will look even better with him.

Set Analysis: Hasbro has continued to impress me with the Evolutions line. So far I have very few complaints with these sets. We are getting 3 VOTC-like figures for $20, a real value. These are the best idea in the line.

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:40 pm

I decided to put this in a different thread, since it isn't just ROTS!

I found this set this morning at a K-Mart. It's the first of the three sets and the figures included are:

Anakin Skywalker (Ep. II: Jedi Hero), Anakin Skywalker (Ep. III: Clone Wars Commander) and Darth Vader (Ep. IV: Sith Lord).

SCULPT:

Anakin (Ep: 2): This is the best version of the Ep. 2 Anakin we'll get. I garantee it. The overall body sculpt is excellent and the use of cloth here is amazing. Sadly, though, his headsculpt is off. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing Hayden here! Maybe it's just me, but it rezlly looks off. 8/10

Anakin (Ep. 3): Hmm..OK...uhh...why? It's not bad, by all means, the body is fantastic! It's just that I question Hasbro's descision to not use complete cloth like they did with the Ep. 2 Ani. Also, his sleeves hang in the most odd way. When you get it, you'll notice exactly what I'm talking about right away. The face sculpt is also alot better than the Ep. 2 one's. 9/10

Vader: By the way, this is not an ANH Vader. It's ROTJ and god is it amazing! The removable helmet reveals an amazingly sculpted head. Hasbro went a mile for the VOTC Vader (which was clearly ESB) and they went twice as far for this ROTJ version! The cloth use is also spellbounding. 10/10
OVERALL SET: 9/10

PAINT: I'm not going to talk about every figure here, since paint really is not an issue here. Everything on every figure is amazing. One thing: In Ep. 2, was Anakin's 'pony tail' knot really red? 10/10

ACCSESSORIES: The array of accsessories is also impressive. You get:
Vader's helmet: It's the standard Vader sculpt and pretty good.
Vader's lightsaber: I think it's the same as the VOTC one, just with a glossier paint job.
Ep. 2 Anakin's chain: It's not really needed. It's cool to have, and I'd assume that it fits on one of the Arena collumns.
Ep. 2 Anakin's hands: woah...That asthetic hand is amazingly sculpted.
Ep 3 Anakin's hands: Nothing special. Both fit perfectly.
Ep 3 Anakin's cloak: It's big...really big. I have no problems with it, though.
Anakin lightsabers: This is stupid. Why only ONE beam? You have TWO sabers for TWO figures...!
9.5/10

ARTICULATION: Each figure is missing something when it comes to articulation:

Ep 2 Anakin has 18 points, more than any previous Ep. 2 Anakin, but he's missing ball-jointed ankles!

Ep. 3 Anakin has 18 as well, but he has those annoying swivel elbows!

Vader has an incredible 22, but is missing what made the VOTC so cool: a ball-jointed neck. I guess it's ok, since he does have a removable helmet. He is leaps and bounds over the VOTC though, with ball-jointed ankles and elbows.
8/10

OVERALL: 9.125/10 This is an amazing set. While I think the AOTC Anakin could use some reworking, all the figures are nearly the definatrive versions of the character. We still need an SA ANH Vader, but this one, and the ESB VOTC will do perfectly.
Bring on the Trooper and Sith sets!!!!

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Evolutions Variation Found

Collectors with a sharp eye will notice that the first wave of Anakin Skywalker Evolution Sets were missing the scar over the right eye of the ROTS figure. Looks like Hasbro caught their oversight early in the production run, and fixed the figure. Hats off to Rebelscum reader Jarrod for spotting the variation and sending in pictures.[/font]

Return to “Star Wars Toys”