The "Collect To Collect "Code Of Honour

All about the toys from Hasbro, Kenner, Galoob...

Moderators: dranoel, hbng, Valentin

masteryoyo

The "Collect To Collect "Code Of Honour

Post by masteryoyo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 am

masteryoyo came across this article on rebelscum and would like to share with all singapore sw collectors.

[The article]
"Collect to Collect" is a program started by Mr. Philip Wise to promote the hobby of Star Wars collecting. The principles behind the "Collect to Collect" credo are two-fold:
(a) aid your fellow Star Wars enthusiast and
(b) discourage those who collect strictly for the sake of profit

"Collect to Collect" means doing your best to observe the following collecting etiquette:
i) Buy only what you need and make sure others get one before you get many.
ii) Acquire pieces for your collection because you want them, not because you plan to profit from them.
iii) Help others achieve their collecting goals for the sake of the hobby, not profit.
iv) When you trade or sell available toys, do so at cost.
v) When you trade or sell unavailable toys, do so keeping the golden rule in mind: you'll always win in the long run if you don't take advantage of people.
vi) Buy from scalpers as a very last resort. They exist because people buy from them and do not make collecting toys easier. Scalping only promotes decay within the hobby.
vii) Understand it is more important for a kid to have the toys than you; help them out whenever possible. You're likely to get another chance at the toy, he/she may not.

[end]

on point (vii), masteryoyo was particularly touched when an international ebayer seller offered to replace a factory-defect c-3po figure but requested that masteryoyo keeps the defective figure, and perhaps, give it to a child. Excellent customer service and a true collector.

hopefully, our local collectors community could one day evolve to such a developed stage. :D :D
Last edited by masteryoyo on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

Shangyou

Post by Shangyou » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am

Yeah man... this is what collecting is all about!

trooperJ

Post by trooperJ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Wisely said, Mr Wise,....wisely said

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 am

I had some pretty good experience with overseas collectors too. I bought this figure from this guy but had no reply or whatever for a few weeks. Turned out the poor guy landed himself in the hospital. He apologised for the delay, gave me a refund for the item and posted out the item the next day FOC for the delay.

Whereas locally, there are many times when I have secured a deal with the person but when he finds a higher offer, he'll just ignore all my message with no apologies. There seem to be a lack of honour of one's word in face of monetary gains.

Locally, worst case I've encountered was with a local seller who after confirming a time and place outside and when I got there, I message the guy. He tell me, he is busy and I should go home..:shock: I replied I can wait awhile. Ignore me for a few hours, then reply that he has left for home and propose we meet another day. Took me for a ride..

Hopefully like you said, that someday we will learn to leave a 'rare' figure on the peg after we've gotten enough for ourselves instead of getting it all hoping to get $5 profit from it.

WeI

Post by WeI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am

yeap . Like the recent 2009 new packaging legacy collection . People tends to buy all the 501st trooper like 4 and decided to sell at a higher price at ebay . Its the same person always ....... Think their motive is to c0ver up their own cost of buying their item from the profit ........ What a collector . After getting the amount they want ..... They bend on the hooks so that their collector will buy from them ....

Some even sold their super sale item for the price more than the retail . Like during the past carrefour sale which sold a fig for 3 bucks . PPl tends to sell at 10 bucks ..... hahahahahhaa.......

Boba_Fett

Post by Boba_Fett » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 am

ya, tell me about it man, people can and has offered me $3 for a MOSC snowtrooper with eweb...i am particularly amazed with some toy hunters here. they know a figure is hard to find, probably never to be seen on the retail shelf anymore. but having keep it mint for 10+ years, they offer u 5 or 6 dollars...SIGH
Do! Or do not! There is no try

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 am

It's more of buying duplicates for the sole purpose to profit that I can't stand. If a collector is taking something out of his own collection to resell, I don't have a problem with him setting the price. It's a simple case of if the seller's price matchs your buying price, go for it. :)

I don't expect to see any rancor turning up on ebay for $10, it just irks me when you hear tales of trolley full of rancors getting carted off while fellow collectors who rush down after work reports that he can't get a single one.

WeI

Post by WeI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am

yeah. I hate them all ! Especially thoese who go around places and buy many of the same kind fig .... More popular fig to be exact . then sell at a higher price ...... hope there a rule to stop all these acts ..... Unless the fig is not on retail anymore , i can understand ...... Pity those who need to work and school ... those ppl are so free that they can shop around and buy all these stuff ..... Lucky someone open this topic ... :P

**Admin note: Link has been removed upon request by the auction owner**

above is one great example . I certainly believe that this seller bought it during the 10 bucks sale ... :twisted:

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:52 am

I think better not do any finger pointing or speculating here :oops: later that ebayer is a forumer here, not very nice haha

zirst

Post by zirst » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Fortunately or not , HB has the policy of re-releasing some of the figures :) .

gundam_skywalker

Post by gundam_skywalker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:41 pm

WeI wrote:yeap . Like the recent 2009 new packaging legacy collection . People tends to buy all the 501st trooper like 4 and decided to sell at a higher price at ebay . Its the same person always ....... Think their motive is to c0ver up their own cost of buying their item from the profit ........ What a collector . After getting the amount they want ..... They bend on the hooks so that their collector will buy from them ....

Some even sold their super sale item for the price more than the retail . Like during the past carrefour sale which sold a fig for 3 bucks . PPl tends to sell at 10 bucks ..... hahahahahhaa.......
If you are looking for 501st, I see some at Tampines TRU. I think most TRU will have since they always do not have discount. You can try your luck.

Boba_Fett

Post by Boba_Fett » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:00 pm

WeI wrote:yeah. I hate them all ! Especially thoese who go around places and buy many of the same kind fig .... More popular fig to be exact . then sell at a higher price ...... hope there a rule to stop all these acts ..... Unless the fig is not on retail anymore , i can understand ...... Pity those who need to work and school ... those ppl are so free that they can shop around and buy all these stuff ..... Lucky someone open this topic ... :P

**Admin note: Link has been removed upon request by the auction owner**

above is one great example . I certainly believe that this seller bought it during the 10 bucks sale ... :twisted:
yup, you have no evidence he bought it during the sale....

WeI

Post by WeI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:49 pm

hahahah . Are u him ? hahahahah .. Ok no finger pointing . Just an example . Really sorry to use this as my thread topic .

Boba_Fett

Post by Boba_Fett » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 pm

nope...its not me...if i get this at 10, i let my son rip it open and play.

Shangyou

Post by Shangyou » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:01 pm

dr34m is probably the best collector I have ever met...
He helped me drag the huge Rancor boxset from Suntec to his house and to cathay and didn't charge me at all for the transportation. :)

Return to “Star Wars Toys”