Welcome to www.starwars.sg

Finally, a website to call our own ! Launched on 15th May 2005 in celebration of the long-awaited release of Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith !

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:59 pm

Dr EMH wrote:Thank you, danchia, for the kind explanation.
So Adam Teo is the founder of both starwars.sg + starwars.com.sg, right?
Erm , not quite, heh heh . Adam Teo founded sg_starwars@yahoogroups.com , but Hak Beng ( who was doing the photography yesterday ) was the one behind www.starwars.sg ( and www.starwars.com.sg ) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We are all friends from the old mailing list , and we decided that it was time for our own website.

The old mailing list was started sometime in 1998 or 1999, but our website at www.starwars.sg is really only about a month old ! :shock:

Likewise, we own startrek.com.sg, startrek.sg and startrek.per.sg
How long has www.startrek.com.sg been up, and who does the main work on it ? It is quite a solid fansite , and I'm impressed by it ! :D
Gee, I didn't know the SW fans at the Tampines Library were from theforce.net Fanforce Singapore, I thought they are from your www.starwars.sg fans. Are the 2 SW fans groups affiliated?
Well, the two groups are not affiliated, but many of the members do post over at our message board too. I realise that unlike the Singapore Trekkies , we don't have an official Star Wars Fanclub in Singapore, although Adam Teo has mooted the idea ( Adam.... are you listening ? :wink: )

I was quite amazed when I found out yesterday that as a Star Trek Fanclub, you all organise regular outings and screenings together, and even organise charity events like blood donations etc. That is something that we Star Wars fans should consider . Perhaps a fan club should be started to bring everyone together.... right now, we are just fans without any strong affiliation to each other, although as a Star Wars community , we do get to meet each other from time to time at different events.

Actually, Tampines Library first approached us (the Star Trek fans) to participate in their Sci-fi Fair. I later gave the Library Reno's contact number to invite the SW fans to come over to the Fair ... I knew Reno from the Malaysian Sci-Fi & Fantasy Forums at http://www.myscififan.com
I see. How interesting . We were told that the fanforce Singapore were going to have a Star Wars booth at the Tampines Library , and Hak Beng and I went down to do a story and photofeature on it for www.starwars.sg . That's why we were there. Anyway, it was a bonus to meet up with the Trekkies there, in particular Jonathan and James.

Hopefully we get another chance to meet again and maybe work together . :D

May the Force be with y'all. :D
Thanks ! Live long and prosper ! :wink:

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:06 pm

Should we start a Star Wars Singapore Fan Club ?

Gandalf .... got legal concerns or not ? :shock: :wink:

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi Dr EMH,

I'm the Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot whom you saboed at the library. I'm a member of the 3 forums, ie. starwars, fanforce & moviemania, as well as a member of the Singapore Outpost of the US-based 501st Legion. I'm currently in the Star Trek e-mailing list and I must admit that you guys have an outstanding website.

Do visit the recently set up www.moviemania.com.sg forum where we have a folder dedicated to Star Trek. Your inputs would be most welcomed.

Long Live & Prosper.

TI5850
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

GetzJedi

Post by GetzJedi » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:33 pm

danchia wrote:Should we start a Star Wars Singapore Fan Club ?

I believe that an official fan club would require registration and lotsa documentation. Less hassle and legal complications to exist as just a forum.
Desmond 'Vampire 2' Soh
TI/ID/TX 5850
JRS Cadet Mentor
Singapore Garrison
501st Legion

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:44 am

Hey Dr EMH ,

Could you let your friends over at www.startrek.com.sg know that our report on Space Month at Tampines Library is now online at www.starwars.sg ?

We mentioned the Trekkies prominently , and you guys looked great in the photo we took of you !

Check it out at www.starwars.sg ! :D

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:22 pm

danchia wrote:Hey Dr EMH ,

Could you let your friends over at www.startrek.com.sg know that our report on Space Month at Tampines Library is now online at www.starwars.sg ?

We mentioned the Trekkies prominently , and you guys looked great in the photo we took of you !

Check it out at www.starwars.sg ! :D
Hello everyone. I am from www.startrek.com.sg

I do not mind saying that I am also a Star Wars fan too. I got almost every single Star Wars novels particularly the New Jedi Order. I was unable to pursue the recent Clone Wars novels. I have quite a bit of cards, pins and toys as well.

I will make a post over at www.startrek.com.sg. Better still why not come over and register :D

Most of us are generally sci fi fans with emphasis on Star Trek. We have other scifi interests like Babylon 5, Andromeda and recently discussing Battlestar Galactica.

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi lhs1701 !!!

Welcome to the board ! Really glad you could join us.

I was surfing your forum at www.startrek.sg earlier this afternoon , and was amazed by how solid it was . As a Star Trek newbie , I wouldn't even know where to start posting ! :D

Anyway, glad you're here with us , and we hope you feel at home.

Hmmm, I wonder if Hoth is part of the United Federation of Planet ? :shock: :D

daniel

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:11 pm

danchia wrote:Hi lhs1701 !!!

I was surfing your forum at www.startrek.sg earlier this afternoon , and was amazed by how solid it was . As a Star Trek newbie , I wouldn't even know where to start posting ! :D

daniel
Meeting Star Wars fans have renewed my interest in Star Wars.

Perhaps instead of Hoth, I should say Tatooine, because my domicle is in one of the furthest corner of Singapore, although I sort of prefer Alderaan.

To travel from UFP to Hoth, you need a spaceship that can travel into alternate universe and timeline.
:D

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:35 pm

danchia wrote:Hi lhs1701 !!!

daniel
Not sure if you had registered to browse at www.startrek.com.sg

If you did, why not look at the Shore Leave section where we talk about our activities. There is a thread where we talk about Star Wars Episode III Movie Outing. We had an interesting discussion on light saber fighting techniques. LOL.

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:50 pm

danchia wrote:Should we start a Star Wars Singapore Fan Club ?

ya ya, Daniel....Adam is listening..

There is a workaround for all these...we can register as a society or maybe a Non-Profit Org...

:)

Will look more into this after my President's Challenge event this weekend at Taka....drop by and look for Adam if u are in the area.

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Thank you for all your best wishes ... :D

StarTrek.com.sg is NOT affiliated with the Singapore Star Trek Fan Club (STFC). Singapore STFC fansite is at www.startrek.org.sg which currently seems dorment.

Being an ex-Exco member of STFC, I founded StarTrek.com.sg in early 2000s, with just a few Trekkies. Over the years, we have expanded our population to almost 350 Trekkies in our mailing list, and over 150 users in our forums which started more than 2 years ago.

Like Star Wars fans, our Trekkies come from all walks of life … from working adults (doctors, accountants, lawyers, bankers, engineers, scientists, teachers, journalists, businessmen, civil servants, etc.) to students (Post-grad, Under-grad, Poly, ITE, etc.)

To date, we have established a good partnerships with our Trekkies counterparts in the neighbouring countries, including Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, USA, etc. We also hope to fosten a good partnership with other sci-fi fangroups in Singapore too, such as Star Wars fans like yourselves. :D
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Count Dooku

Post by Count Dooku » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi all, Jonathan here from the Star Trek fan club (the tall guy). Like Ihs1701, I am a Star Wars fan too, but I am first and foremost a Trekkie. I am also a fan of Babylon 5 too.

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:26 pm

Count Dooku wrote:Hi all, Jonathan here from the Star Trek fan club (the tall guy). Like Ihs1701, I am a Star Wars fan too, but I am first and foremost a Trekkie. I am also a fan of Babylon 5 too.
You should have used Darth Vader or Moff Tarkin or Lord Siddious.

LOL :D

Count Dooku

Post by Count Dooku » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:40 pm

Hey, I happen to like Count Dooku. He has class 8)

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:58 pm

Count Dooku wrote:Hey, I happen to like Count Dooku. He has class 8)
Can't argue with that. LOL. :D

I was thinking of Yoda, remember how I dedicate one day to speaking like Yoda.

I was also debating on using one of the Rogue Squadron but finally decide to use my usual.
:lol: :o

Return to “SG Star Wars : The OTHER SIDE OF THE GALAXY”