Martial arts anyone?

For discussions about everything Star Wars that's not related to just one particular film....

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

Impulse

Martial arts anyone?

Post by Impulse » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:31 pm

I dunno where to put this thread, so stick it here.

As u know, the light saber battles look a bit martial arts stuff here and there, like the modern swordfighting and stuff.

So im curious any SW fans here learn or even master any martial arts skills? if yes, what is it?

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:08 pm

hahha.....used to learn "San Chee Do"

三战道。。。dun see this art very often now....

it is a mixture of TKD and Chinese Wushu..

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:39 am

Do not think so.

there is not much TKD in there

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:00 am

a lot ppl learn TKD, very fast promote one. (if u go grading ah)

any ppl learn japanese martial arts, e.g. judo, aikido, kenjitsu, ninjitsu etc etc???

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Commander Faie wrote:a lot ppl learn TKD, very fast promote one. (if u go grading ah)

any ppl learn japanese martial arts, e.g. judo, aikido, kenjitsu, ninjitsu etc etc???
I Learn Taekwondo for 7 years. Took about 3 and a half years to get black belt. The teacher do not send out people for grading that easly. If he see you are shit in that thing, that month you can not go for that grading and you have to wait for 6 more months..

Only After you are black belt, you will learn alot more things then you are in yellow, green, blue or brown.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:55 pm

Commander Faie wrote:a lot ppl learn TKD, very fast promote one. (if u go grading ah)

Used to learn Aikido. Liked it very much but Sense not very considerate and quite rough, resulting in me breaking my little toe. After that got frightened and quit coz worried of sustaining worse injuries due to my large size and the fact that I'm no longer a 'spring chicken'...

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:59 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:

Used to learn Aikido. Liked it very much but Sense not very considerate and quite rough, resulting in me breaking my little toe. After that got frightened and quit coz worried of sustaining worse injuries due to my large size and the fact that I'm no longer a 'spring chicken'...
Aikido no competitions one. Everything is defence here. But it looks damn cool, but no time to learn... sigh.
When u learn aikido? what colour belt?

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:14 pm

Commander Faie wrote:Aikido no competitions one. Everything is defence here. But it looks damn cool, but no time to learn... sigh.
Yes no competition but I like it for its effectiveness in using the opponent's strength against him/herself, since I'm not the kind of guy who like to hit anybody even though they're trying to hurt me. However Aikido can be lethal too. Can easily break limbs or even neck/back easily by slamming opponent on hard surface.

Took lesson at Community Centre in Kuala Lumpur. Didn't even get out of white belt got injured already...

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:
Commander Faie wrote:Aikido no competitions one. Everything is defence here. But it looks damn cool, but no time to learn... sigh.
Yes no competition but I like it for its effectiveness in using the opponent's strength against him/herself, since I'm not the kind of guy who like to hit anybody even though they're trying to hurt me. However Aikido can be lethal too. Can easily break limbs or even neck/back easily by slamming opponent on hard surface.

Took lesson at Community Centre in Kuala Lumpur. Didn't even get out of white belt got injured already...
Aikido is the art of attacking opponents joints, you see. The lethal part is the neck...ho ho ho.
You have to be careful, woah so fast injured!?!? :shock:

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:38 pm

Commander Faie wrote:You have to be careful, woah so fast injured!?!? :shock:
Sense loh...insist I do back roll eventhough I know I'm too heavy and clumbsy to roll on his back smoothly. In the end I fell while doing a roll and crashed down on my toes, breaking the smallest one. Now its crooked.

I was only barely a month into my training, and only 2 o 3 times a week. Should've left the more 'agile' parts till later, considering I told him I've never had any martial arts training before...

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:34 am

I'm interested in Keysi Fighting Method - anyone know if KFM has travelled down to this part of the world yet or do I also need to travel to distant lands to pick this up.....
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 am

Gandalf Fett wrote:I'm interested in Keysi Fighting Method - anyone know if KFM has travelled down to this part of the world yet or do I also need to travel to distant lands to pick this up.....
I honestly never heard of that. I just did a search engine and saw a video clip. Not bad though. Using elbow whack ppl in one scene?!? http://keysikfm.com/en/index.php

Tell me more abt it leh.

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:04 pm

It's the style used / employed in the movie Batman Begins. It also has some kind of reference to JKD as well but the schools that I've found so far seems limited to England only.

The Batman Begins DVD has a feature on it and the fighting style seems very impressive to me as it is more close quarters and you try to take out the opponent as quickly as possible with as many blows to as many parts to the body as possible. Very cool indeed.
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:35 pm

Gandalf Fett wrote:It's the style used / employed in the movie Batman Begins. It also has some kind of reference to JKD as well but the schools that I've found so far seems limited to England only.

The Batman Begins DVD has a feature on it and the fighting style seems very impressive to me as it is more close quarters and you try to take out the opponent as quickly as possible with as many blows to as many parts to the body as possible. Very cool indeed.
Oic thats sleek!
Batman begins also got ninjitsu, and sad that ninjitsu is banned in singapore. Argh, i want to learn the art of stealth!!!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Sorry but I just can't resist. This being a martial arts thread and all...

A pic I took recently:

Moral of the story: Be careful what acronymn you use... :lol:

Return to “Everything Star Wars”