When and how did you get interested in Star Wars?

For discussions about everything Star Wars that's not related to just one particular film....

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:59 am

Gandalf Fett wrote:Star Wars in a theatre - Lido - back in the 70s.
Yeah, I reckon this is my "proudest achievement" as well ... now u all know how old we are, hehe :lol:
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Jar

Post by Jar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:19 am

Hey, Dr E, I would be about your age too, I watch SW at LIDO 4 x cause my big brother was fanatic about it n I got tag along 2 watch with him n his then girlfriend, I love the sensurround sound of the Millenium Falcon got hook till now, those were fond memories at the LIDO Theatre.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Gandalf Fett wrote:Star Wars in a theatre - Lido - back in the 70s.
Now that I have read the posts in this thread a few more times, and I've had time to thinking back as well as do some asking around to confirm some dates, I do believe I watched ANH in the LIDO in Singapore when I was studying there. I studied sec 2 to 4 from 1977 to 1979, so I ws definitely there when ANH hit theatres worldwide...

I don't remember where I watched ESB but I have vivid memory of watching ROTJ in the Cinesphere at Ontario Place, Toronto, Canada. The screen at Cinesphere was then the biggest in the world, and man it was almost 3-D when the speeder bikes swoped around those trees on Endor.

After that I started collecting SW models, but my passion slowly went dormant and would not surface again until year 2000 when a friend offered to sell me a Boba fett helmet when I jokingly said I wanted a full size Vader costume to display in my house.

That helmet sparked in me a renewed interest for SW, and the rest, as they say, is hostory...

Dr EMH

Re: When and how did you get interested in Star Wars?

Post by Dr EMH » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:39 pm

tet54 wrote:i saw the phantom menace at around age 7 and ever since then, i've been hooked 8)
i hope u hav watch ep 4, 5 & 6 after that ...

i feel so sad when nobody know who's Han Solo when we were at AoSW ... :(

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:46 pm

Dr EMH wrote:i feel so sad when nobody know who's Han Solo when we were at AoSW ... :(
But everyone seem to know who's 'Ham Solo' :lol:

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:11 am

Plo Strax-Avix wrote:
Dr EMH wrote:i feel so sad when nobody know who's Han Solo when we were at AoSW ... :(
But everyone seem to know who's 'Ham Solo' :lol:
haM? yummy!

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:58 am

First knew about STAR WARS even before the movie formerly known as STAR WARS hit the screens in Malaysia in 1978. This was based on the original 1976 Edition of the Paperback novel that was available in major bookshops in Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur back in 1977-1978. When the Sunday Straits Times featured STAR WARS on its weekend edition, which ran for 3-4 consecutive weeks, I had my Aunt to read me every issue of it, oblivious at that time STAR WARS had already premiered in the US back on 25 May 1977... :P

So when finally STAR WARS came to Malaysia in 1978 - yes in those good old days SW and TESB were released a year after their US release... I already had a fair idea of the movie. However, when the screening of STAR WARS started with the awesome Star Destroyer sailing across the movie screen after the opening crawl, the bizarre aliens at the Mos Eisley Cantina, Ben & Vader's L/Saber duel and the breath taking X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter dog fights at the Death Star - I wuz sure HOOKED! Alright 'nuf said and the rest is history! :lol:

P.S. One of the first few aliens that really intrigued me was the Sandpeople even back in 1978! :D
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

Jar

Post by Jar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:36 am

I watch ESB I think at the then Cathay Theatre or Capitol , it was pack even in the afternoon timeslot with the quiee snaking around the theatre most were students like myself then, ESB was not impressive as it left us wondering what's going to happen to Han Solo on ice at the end and we were left hanging to wait for ROTJ very disappointing.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 am

Looking back at my earlier post, I realise I got the year wrong. I watch Star Wars, A New Hope when it came to Singapore in 1977 (I hope I got that right). I remember it was at Prince theatre and the theatre was so full that I had to choose the front seats, I remember it was either the 3rd or 5th row. When the Star Destroyer moved across the screen, I was peeping underneath the Star Destroyer to see whatelse I can see.

Even then, I was not new to the idea of the Force. I had been exposed to the supernatural in 1974 and had since then spent time reading on supernatural topics and on unique ideas.

At that time, I was not aware that it was part of a trilogy. I did wonder why it was Episode IV. I thought it was just to save the director some explanations and launch straight into action.

Episode V came and it caused a controversy at that time when Darth Vader said that he was the father of Luke. Everyone was speculating whether this was real or Vader was just trying to deceive Luke. There was some comparison with the Bible too.

Episode VI came and I was sad to see the end of it.

It was never quite the end for me as I followed the adventures via novels and comics.

If you had purchased the special edition, there are some interesting clips about George Lucas's struggle with Star Wars.

I was also glad that GL finally did Episode I to III.

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Post by e3lipse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 am

I had been exposed to the supernatural in 1974
Mind elaborating on it? :D
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:39 pm

e3lipse wrote:
I had been exposed to the supernatural in 1974
Mind elaborating on it? :D
have u been abducted by ET? :lol:

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:06 pm

My dad told me that he last time spent nearly 300 on the expensive LDs (LDs were really good back then) on the trilogy movies alone, just for me...! He forsee i'll be a star wars freak or something.
i really dunno what to say...

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:04 pm

Commander Faie wrote:My dad told me that he last time spent nearly 300 on the expensive LDs (LDs were really good back then) on the trilogy movies alone, just for me...! He forsee i'll be a star wars freak or something.
i really dunno what to say...
It's just an excuse to buy and watch it 8)

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:12 pm

i didnt knew SW when i was a kid. My dad intro me one.

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Commander Faie wrote:i didnt knew SW when i was a kid. My dad intro me one.
His a fan himself. :lol:
There we go... my 1000th post 8)

Return to “Everything Star Wars”