newpaper 12/5/2005 starwars exclusive pictorial review

For discussions about everything Star Wars that's not related to just one particular film....

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

donleow

newpaper 12/5/2005 starwars exclusive pictorial review

Post by donleow » Thu May 12, 2005 11:50 pm

As mentioned by adam that newpaper has launched an exclusive tribute to the starwars movie and databank..highly readable material with tonnes of datas that can set anyone virtually into an instant starwars knowledgable fan with the review content...i have took some time to photo the shot of each page for the benefit of the team, though i cannot scan but hope to allow the members who have missed the newpaper to have a glimpse of what is installed for us...no further delay, prepare for hyperspace.......

front page of the newpaper
simple but yet powerful in delivering the message of this blockbuster, i try to take at a slant shot which is typical for all openings of sw movie ...

M1 starwars top up card promo
looking at the top up card, the designs are awesome and you entitle a free starwars watch (kind of cheapo to me) when u purchase any top up card.
If u ask me, i go for the vader card, is the design simply classic.

full size poster

Closeup

M1 Mobile download mobile content adv.
The content is no interest to me but the posters are again very brillantly set where vader faces anakin while anakin look at u when u read it,,so i did a little customization and combine the 2 posters together...and this is what u get ..I like the black and orange feel personally.

custom folded closeup poster

Starwars content page
Another awesome design on the frontpage as i regard with a very satanic yet kind of kinky love message " TILL DARTH DO US PART" with the helmet of vader hovering over the words.

Content page consist of the following( exact abstract) u will get to see pic shot of each of the content:

Poster 1 - who's related to who in starwars?
Poster 2 - Of Droids and battleships
Poster 3 - Revenge of the Sith trivia trove
Movie Preview - Episode III Revenge of the SithFeature: How starwars changed the world
Feature: The expansion of the stars wars universe
Quiz: How Star Wars got its sound
Contest: The greatest moment

Following by posters from M&M and burger king

Personally I like the fat M&M dude, not sure will they released a candy toy for it, it sure look cool to me, look more like a cyberspace loanshark with a tummy.... :lol:

TO BE CONTINUED PAGE 2.....

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 13, 2005 12:08 am

There is a R2 Dtour mentioned in the newspaper indicating that it is featuring double-sided 8 page pullout poster as follows

Poster 1: Who's related to who in Starwars

This is a good posters for anyone who like to understand the background between the Jedi and Sith in form of family tree and each has a short journal to illustrate what , who and why they are related.. However due to lengthy words content , i will probably have to type out later when time allows. Additionally on each side of the 2 intro of Jedi and Sith, there is a timeline table that briefly illustrate the summary of each episode which i applaud for easy recap.

Below each individual hiearchy diagram introducing the Jedi council and Sith group, there are indication of the code for each group which is similar to an oarth as follows

Code of Jedi
There is no emotion, There is no peace, There is no ignorance, There is no passion, There is serenity, There is no death, There is the Force

Hiearchy of Jedi

Code of Sith
There is a lie. There is is only passion, Through Passion, I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free

Hiearchy Diagram of Sith

A closeup of both Hiearchy diagram of Jedi and Sith

Again out of curiousity i combined the above 2 pages to form a new view of the comparison between Jedi and Sith just out of my own fun...

Combined page

TO BE CONTINUED PAGE 3.......

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 13, 2005 12:28 am

Poster 2 : Of droids and battleships

Fighters and Assault ships

As indicated as double sided posters, on the machines side, the first page u will is the battleships and introduction of TRI fighter and follow by Jedi Interceptor Follow which are introduction of the older version of the transport and fighting machines from past esp as shown

Full page

TRI Fighter

TO BE CONTINUED ON PAGE 4....

Jedi Interceptor

Additionally, what caught my attention is the pictorial article on SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME that illustrate the progressive transformation cycle of the key fighters and assualt ships as shown

Droids - Brass Band of Brothers

The intro of the droids are interesting as follows ( read it with a robotic voice if u can to mimic the realism that u are one of the droid :lol: )

" While I am naturally the best droid, the same cannot be said about some of my metal associates. These droids are designed with a single purpose: To help the good guys ( and some bad guys) get things done. Without us, those fleshbags would be useless"

I believe due to page space constraint, only the major droids are introduced with R2D2 the central of attraction which i believe that picture comes from DK, but good summary that the bio indicated which episode is the droid present and the biggest winners are of course R2D2 and C3PO who have appear in all 6 episodes.

Droid introduction summary

TO BE CONTINUED ON PAGE 4.....

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 am

Wow Don !

THANKS so much ! I didn't buy the New Paper , coz I forgot, so this is REALLY great !

Thanks again !

daniel :)

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 13, 2005 1:38 am

Feature : Revenge of the Sith trivia trove

Full poster size with article content

I tried to type out the original content since is not to lengthy and additionally i added picture related to the article i source from other sites to increase your reading pleasure , the article is originally written by Newpaper journalist Tan Dawn Wei which began like this:

It's been an incredibly long wait. And an incredibly journey. But George Lucas has finally come full circle with the mother of all sagas after almost 30 years - hos outer space opus. Starwars, will start playing its last chapter on 19 May, when 20,000 cinema printsin 40 languages are unleashed upon the world.

Even with US$115 million( $189m) spent making this final film and another $95m marketing it, Lucas should have little trouble recouping his money.

As it is, every magazine and every paperhas gone to town about how Revenge of The Sith marks the end of an era.

But there's the other stuff you want to know about Epsiode III:

BYE BAI

No need to look out for Bai Ling's few second of fame as Senator Bana Breemu. - she ended up on the cutting room floor. Is her upcoming spread in Playboy to blame? The 34 year old thinks so. She tearfully told the New York Post that Lucase probably didn;t approve of her shoot for adult magazine.

But Papa Lucas has rubbbished the actress claims saying" My daughter is in that samce scene....(She)was cut as well. My other daughter was in another scene and that was cut too."

So the girls are out, but the boys - including Lucas himself - survived the chops. The director has cameo as blue-faced baron Papanoida at the Galaxies Opera, where Anakin Skywalker goes to have a tete-a tete with supreme chancellor Palpatine.

But blink and you'll miss him.

His so, Jett also makes an appearance as a young Jedi Padawan who is gunned down by clone troopers outside the Jedi temple.

Colour Me Bad

The final duel between Obi-wan Kenobi and Skywalker will be the only scene in the entire series when two characters cross the same-coloured lightsaber.

Hayden Christensen and Ewan Mcgregor spent 2 months trainng for it, and fight coordinator Nick Gillard two years putting it together before Lucas shot it in 4 days..

Darth Buff

Christensen put on 11kg for Ep3 by eating six meals a day. But he couldn;t make up for his kack of height. Lucase has to resort to camera tricks to make him look taller when decked out as Darth Vader- the actor is 12.7cm shorter than David Prowse, who played Darth Vader in the original trilogy. Speaking of the Dark Lord, the first scene in which skywalker becomes Darth Vader happen just eight days before the end of the entire shoot.

When those on the set heard the all-important scene was being shot, almost a thousand people showed up outside the soundstage.

Various Vaders

Christensen has to share Darth Vader credits with five other people. Prowse was the man inside the suit for the first three films; James Earl Jones the booming voice for all the films with Vader; Bod Anderson the man with the moves for the duel scene s in Ep V and VI, and Jake Lloyd the young Anakin.

Just Shoot Me

They were made three years apart, but lucas allowed a short scene for Ep3 to be shot in Tunisian desert while shooting Ep2 so that the team didnt have to return for repeated shoot.

The scene is said to be the one in which Obi Wan delivers the infant Luke Skywalker to his aunt and uncle in tatooine. Ep3 is also the only starwars film shot entirely in the studio. Scenes of Thailand, China, Switzerland were used as background plates for the wookiee planet Kashyyyk.

Return to Revenge

The title, Revenge of Sith, is based on the initial name given to esp 4, which was revenge of the jedi.
Lucas said he had purposely leaked out the name for esp 4 to foil bootleggers. He also said a fan worth his salt would've known it to be false because a Jedi would never seek revenge

TO BE CONTINUED PAGE 5............

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 13, 2005 2:17 am

Feature : How starwars Changed the world & The expansion of the starwars universe

Not much mainly the same goes around the fanatic fever review of the fan over Ep3 and starwars related and having to analysis what is ILM ( industrial Light and Magic) and how much the toys and related merchandise dividends can made. A bit boring to me and opposite page feature about spoof film, music score and movies that uses the same words e,g, may the force be with us and etc...again it didnt score a point deserve to look at, good for first time reader but baddie for hardcore fan like most of you who knows starwars inside out..

QUIZ: HOW STARWARS GOT ITS SOUND

This is interesting to the fact i have been always wondering what is the background sound made of for most of the starwars sequel adn this page fulfills my dream...so die die no matter how sleepy (o now is 1.40am ) must type out for all to enjoy and sometimes it let me think if the hairdryer sound is the sound of TIE fighter :lol:

Innovative sound effects are an important part of the starwars experience

When writer- director George Lucas began planning the production of the starwars: Ep4 - A new Hope i 1977, he approached a young sound designer named Ben Burtt to create an organic soundtrack for the movie.

Instead of using tried-and -true stock sounds, Burtt was assigned to find noises in the real world that could make the starwars universe come to audible life.

For every starwars movie since, Burtt has been a sound designer and, more recently, an editor.

His library of starwars sound effect is now housed at skywalker ranch in Marin County, California and is one of the most unique and expensive in the world

Think you know all about the sound of starwars? Here are the list

On screen image and real world sound

a. Imperial walker - Squeaky trash Dumpster lid

b. TIE fighter - An Elephant bellow

c. Chewbacca - Bear growls( with dash of walrus, dog and lion)

d. R2-D2 - Dry ice

e. lightsaber - Hums from the back of a tv set and an old 35mm projector

f. laser blast - a hammer striking the high tension guy wire of an antenna tower

g. Speeder bike - a P51 mustang plane combined with a P38 lockheed interceptor

h. Luke's landspeeder - traffic on harbor freeway in LA as heard through a vacuum cleaner piper

I. Starfighters - speeding WWII properller aircraft

J.- Lava - wet towel rubbed in mud or marcaroni casserole being squished

K- jabba the Hut movements - wet towel rubbed in mud or marcaroni casserole being squished

L- STAP flying motorcycle - electric razor rubbed on the inside of a metal salad bowl.

Contest: The greatest moments in entire starwars saga

which infact is a contest to join nothing significant to me which i didnt want to bother with some m&m chocolates prize and some movies tickets..

Summary

Hope all the folks here like what i contribute,,,though i must admit the pictures are not good quality due to poor lighting ... anyway enjoy ....

THE END

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 13, 2005 2:19 am

danchia wrote:Wow Don !

THANKS so much ! I didn't buy the New Paper , coz I forgot, so this is REALLY great !

Thanks again !

daniel :)
no worries dan...since i m on leave tomorrow after clearing my IPPT and resting my hurting body, i think is no harm to exercise my finger a bit and stationary typing won; hurt so much haha for me...and i hope u enjoy my posting

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Fri May 20, 2005 12:53 am

There was supposed to be information in one of the issues this week, on how to obtain their exclusive TNP posters. I did not get to read this week's issues.... anyone got the details to share? :?:

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Sat May 28, 2005 4:34 pm

I just found out the details today when my brother's friend saw the posters. The poster redemption is now on.

There are two designs available. You need one coupon for each poster. Redemption coupons are available from today, yesterday (Friday), and Thursday editions of The New Paper

Date: Saturday 28 May
Time: From 9am While Stocks Last!
Locations: (1) Heeren Buzz kiosk, (2) Far East Square Vembu Buzz, (3) Makeshift stall outside Tangs (Orchard MRT station escalator exit)

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Sat May 28, 2005 10:50 pm

no hope liao...siao...

Nien Nunb

Post by Nien Nunb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:02 am

Argh the newspaper reminds me of my evil mum who threw away the article !
Learn the way of the dark side and achieve a power greater than any jedi.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks for posting details from the article Don. While I'm not a huge fan of the prequels it was still an interesting read.

Plus there are some trivia there which I didn't previously know about some of the characters ans the way the movies were made.

Great job!

Return to “Everything Star Wars”