Concept Vader and Grievous

For discussions about everything Star Wars that's not related to just one particular film....

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

freefly

Concept Vader and Grievous

Post by freefly » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Concept Vader and Grievous. Are they any better?

Last edited by freefly on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Release the Good!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:37 pm

The concept Grievous above don't look much different from the one in the movie, so can't really say which one I prefer.

The concept Vader you showed above is possibly the only one of Ralph McQuarrie's designs that was made into a 3D model, and it was speculated to be made after ANH, suggesting that Lucas had wanted to change Vader's look for ESB & ROTJ. Of course we now know that never happened; Lucas just reused the ANH Vader helmet design and made minor changes to it.

There're two other commonly seen concept Vader helmet designs but I can't post the photos now because I can not goto the site hosting the photos due to the bad net connection in this region.

I nearly bought a concept Vader helmet made by an artisan over at the RPF but had to back out due to financial constrains at this time. Hopefully one day I will be able to get one.

freefly

Post by freefly » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Yea the difference is subtle though I kinda like the aforementioned pic as he looks better than the hunched final design. The eyes are less intense too.
Before and After:
I nearly bought a concept Vader helmet made by an artisan over at the RPF but had to back out due to financial constrains at this time.
Dang that would've been cool. How much was it?

Two more pics, including one of the more common Vader design you mentioned? Vader's snout looks good in the concept. Grievou's mask is reminiscent of The Punisher's symbol here.
Release the Good!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm

Yes the 2nd concept Vader pic you posted is one of the 2 I was talking about. I still can't retrieve the link to the pic of the other one.

Here's the Concept Vader helmet I nearly bought. The artisan who sculpted it is asking for USD600 + shipping.

You can look at more pics of it HERE

This is fast becoming my favourite Vader Helmet.

I prefer the more intense looking Grievous. I think Grievous' 'hunch' is quite appropriate, given that he moves more like an animal then a himanoid...

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Finally got the link to the other concept Vader helmet. Here it is.

This one look very mechanical. Which one do you prefer?

freefly

Post by freefly » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:26 am

I'll go for the helmet design with the curves :lol:. It has more of the samurai influence in it. The above pic is closer to the final design but too many electronics stuck to the face. My all time favourite though is the one below. Like how the face is more horizontal than vertical and more convex than angular. Love the poncho.
You can look at more pics of it HERE
Great sculpting. It's almost like an exact replica. However Vader's visage is a bit fiercer here. USD600 is a lot considering if you have to convert it to Ringgit?
The concept Vader you showed above is possibly the only one of Ralph McQuarrie's designs that was made into a 3D model, and it was speculated to be made after ANH
Any more details on that? Here are two more pics. The people do resemble ILM folks from the 70s (hairstyle, dressing) but I cant tell if these are legitimate.
Release the Good!

mandalorianBleahhh

Post by mandalorianBleahhh » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:22 am

wow...trip down memory lane for the production crew~

i actually loe the one that was sculpted in RPF....it has very intense eyes....but i didnt like like the hose-in-my-mouth hole...lol..
"In my books; Experience outranks everything"

Return to “Everything Star Wars”