Jedi and Sith

Welcome to Starwars.sg. We originated as the mailing list "sg_starwars@yahoogroups.com" before the turn of this century, and have evolved to the forum you now see. Don't worry if you're new to our community or new to Star Wars, we hope you enjoy your stay here. Sign in and introduce yourself :)

Moderators: dranoel, donleow

Sraye

Post by Sraye » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:35 pm

"The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power." :twisted:
"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge."-Darth Maul
"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... And we will have peace..."-Darth Sidious
"If you are not with me, you are my enemy."-Darth Vader

DarthNobody

Post by DarthNobody » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:07 pm

wonderful disscusion...well...luke almost turned to the dark side then leia saved him...i can't quite remember when he married mara jade...but mara jade used to work for the sith...u cant get the whole collection of starwars books in singapore...have to fill in the gaps...i'm missing at least ten books from my collection...mostly from my beloved clone wars
stArwaRs mAkes thE wOrld gO wiLd...

hyperxi

Post by hyperxi » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:46 pm

I kinda think it's more of a difference in "intentions" between dark side and light side. At least that's what I've read in the Newest book, going by the timeline. Dark Nest trilogy, set after the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. I remember reading a part where Luke said something like it's your intentions that decide whether what you've done is dark side or , er, 'light side'.

There are some other force-sensitive communities in the Star Wars universe that are condeming the new jedi order for their "new Force", though. Some of them don't even see the force as having more than one 'side'.

Just my two cent's worth.

freefly

Post by freefly » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:33 pm

DarthNobody wrote:...i can't quite remember when he married mara jade...
That would be from Star Wars: Union. Anyway this thing abt there is no dark side, there is only the force suck. These new Jedi generation are being way over-radical in their definition of the force.
Release the Good!

Red_Fox2006

Sith and Jedi

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm

You see everybody..The force..Is the flaw itself...Acctually..Its not the force..Its the person who weilds it..The person who uses it...Its the intention of the person..Just the thinking..Everything has its flaws..Everything..Including the most perfect person in the world..You may one day wake up and head to school only to find you had scored less than a friend adn you think his perfect and you're not..Well you're wrong..The thing is..Nothing is perfect..Everything has its flaws..Heck..Even perfect itself has a flaw...Even in a flaw..There is a flaw..The sith is a flaw..The jedi is a flaw..The Star Wars universe is made out of flaws...Same as tthis whole world..We are sorrounded by flaws...Like now for instance as i'm tired and my shoulder hurts and my finger feels like its bone is broken..Well..There are so many flaws in our world but there's one thing..That has no flaws...And can answer any question you make...And the answer won't have any flaw..*looks into the sky*...Well..Thats all for this reply..
The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance.

Faith is Eternal.

Impulse

Re: Sith and Jedi

Post by Impulse » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:08 pm

Red_Fox2006 wrote:You see everybody..The force..Is the flaw itself...Acctually..Its not the force..Its the person who weilds it..The person who uses it...Its the intention of the person..Just the thinking..Everything has its flaws..Everything..Including the most perfect person in the world..You may one day wake up and head to school only to find you had scored less than a friend adn you think his perfect and you're not..Well you're wrong..The thing is..Nothing is perfect..Everything has its flaws..Heck..Even perfect itself has a flaw...Even in a flaw..There is a flaw..The sith is a flaw..The jedi is a flaw..The Star Wars universe is made out of flaws...Same as tthis whole world..We are sorrounded by flaws...Like now for instance as i'm tired and my shoulder hurts and my finger feels like its bone is broken..Well..There are so many flaws in our world but there's one thing..That has no flaws...And can answer any question you make...And the answer won't have any flaw..*looks into the sky*...Well..Thats all for this reply..
Greetings! It rhymes leh! sounds like a poem! True, i agree nothing is that perfect! :twisted:

Red_Fox2006

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:36 pm

8) TY Commander..Thanks..Ohh yeah.....Acctually..I forgot to mention something..Acctually..The force...Is the flaw..As in the SW comics..There is something about the Yuzhan Vong or something...I heard that all force attacks and lgihtsaber attacks at the Yuzhan Vong couldn't work..So..The force cannot acctually control everything...It does not exactly flow through everything...

Faith is Eternal.

Kinoia

Post by Kinoia » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:23 pm

Wow. Really? I think without lightsabers and force attacks,the jedi are nothing. Then HOW did they fight the yuuzhan vong? I havent read the newer star wars books

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 pm

i believe that the Force covers all living things be it yuuzhan vong or not.

i believe that the NJO couldnt sense the Force in them because their knowledge is limited. Vergere studied them and developed Jacen Solo's VongSense a Force like power used by the Vongs
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

SoloFalcon

Post by SoloFalcon » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Jacen could sense the Vong via the lack of force... sort of like a void in a force-filled environment.

Vergere can hide her force talents from Jacen or from the Emperor... so does Yoda I think.
assjedi wrote:i believe that the Force covers all living things be it yuuzhan vong or not.

i believe that the NJO couldnt sense the Force in them because their knowledge is limited. Vergere studied them and developed Jacen Solo's VongSense a Force like power used by the Vongs
Trust me princess~

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:17 pm

so does kenobi i think.

if not how can he survive tattooine without being hunted down by the emperor's agents?
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."

Red_Fox2006

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:18 pm

Hmm You guys may be right ...

Faith is Eternal.

Jar

Post by Jar » Thu May 11, 2006 12:22 pm

The teachings of Luke's Masters:

My master's teachings:
On Jedi Knights
•A Jedi's strength flows from the Force.
•A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
•For the Jedi, there is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no passion; there is serenity. There is no death; there is the Force.
•Great warrior? Wars not make one great.

On the Force, the Dark Side, and Jedi philosophy
•Let the Force be with you.
•If you choose the quick and easy path, you will become an agent of evil.
•Don't give into hate. That leads to the dark side.
•The dark side is not stronger. No. Quicker, easier, more seductive. You will know the good side from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive.
•No different. Only different in your mind.
•Many truths we cling to, greatly to our own point of view they depend.
•There is no why. Clear you mind of questions. Then understand you will.
•Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
•You do not believe. That is why you fail.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Thu May 11, 2006 1:52 pm

many truths in Jedi teaching.

i look to them sometimes.

Jedi Healer

Post by Jedi Healer » Sat May 13, 2006 9:02 pm

lhs1701 wrote:From the novels, Han Solo married Leia and have children. Luke marry Mara and have a family too. This goes against Jedi tradition where Anakin was not allow to marry Padme. To marry, means to have attachments, to have attachments means to go to the Dark Side.

I would not go as far as to say that attachments are evil. Because I don't think they are. Dangerous attachments may lead to evil, that I will agree. But they (attachments) in themselves aren't evil per say.

Marriage was forbidden for many reasons. One of which was that by giving their life to the Order, a Jedi had to obey the instructions of the Masters. They had to where they were sent, and they weren't allowed to have a life of their own. A family would provide unnesseccary complications and distractions for a Jedi.

Another reason is the issue of dangerous attachments - when a Jedi is so attached to someone or something, he can't let go. And a Jedi has to be able to let go of anything and everything if the situation calls for it. Marriage itself isn't a bad thing, but it may lead to something awful, as in the case of Anakin. He could not accept that Padme would (or may) die. That, among other things, led him down the path to ruination. That is not to say however, that Jedi who marry will turn out like Anakin Skywalker. Look at Nejaa Halcyon. He was married secretly too, but he did not turn to the dark side.

Also, dangerous attachments don't only happen to married Jedi. If Jedi aren't careful, they can form dangerous attachments among themselves. Like Mace Windu and Depa Bilaba. She was his padawan, and he loved her like she was his daughter. And Mace could not accept that she had lost her mind..

I guess by the time of NJO, the Jedi decide that it's fine to have attachments and all. I would say it's alright (even for OJO Jedi) to have attachments, but having attachments would require them to be extra careful that they don't fall into the trap.

[edit] Apologies, this turned out to be a much longer post then expected.. (:
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

Return to “Star Wars : Jedi or Sith ?”