Scalpers in Singapore

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

e3lipse
Location: Clonetrooper Land - Where the clones troopers roam free

Scalpers in Singapore

Post by e3lipse » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:08 am

We all hate them. Some dwell in forums such as this , seeking out info , buying everything up and selling to us at a rip off price.

Shadow trooper is at TRUs now for $25 , a person by the name of bruticurse has grabbed 3, proberbly more and hooked them on yahoo auctions to sell at a higher price.

Why deprive us . Haven't they got a proper job. Why piss us collectors.
Quotés Anakin:' I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!'

Let's report on scalpers here shall we? Leave out shops who run a decent business. See someone grabbing lots of hot stuffs at a retail? Grab out your camera phone and snap or video him/her in action. Why should we let them go scot-free. Expose them all!

Hell with scalpers! They can burn down below! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
After all these years, I still love Clones
"Young one, don't tell me what to do."

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:03 am

I share your frustration at having others deprive us of stuff off the retail shelves, and then try to sell those items to us at much inflated prices :(

but disagree with your suggestion....
See someone grabbing lots of hot stuffs at a retail? Grab out your camera phone and snap or video him/her in action. Why should we let them go scot-free. Expose them all!
How do you determine the quantity "lots of", and how do you know for sure if the person is grabbing those items to resell?

Consider this:
You are a collector. (yes!)
You have 2 buddies who are also collectors. (good buddies, we are)
You see the hot item at retail. (Finally found this item! I'm getting one to keep carded, and one to open)
You call your buddies (buddy#1: "help me get one?", buddy#2: "hey, get 2 for me too, so that I can open one and keep the other")
:?: Question: How many pieces do you end up buying off the shelf? (5)
Just as you are paying, someone walks by, snaps your photo, and publishes it online, along with unfriendly remarks about you.....

... but you were just buying for yourself and your buddies :?

Commander Appo

Post by Commander Appo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:15 am

reporting is one thing but never be dumb enuff to take someone's pic and post it on the web. you're opening yourself to a lawsuit.
Commander Appo@Jedi Temple

hunter

Post by hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:56 am

there are bound to scaplers in any collector's market...............
one way is to shun them.............but the question is how many of us who has the 'will power' to shun them especially if we can't get those that we want from normal retail and these scaplers have it and are selling at cut-throat prices?

In any case, it will also not be feasible to form any sort of grouping or alliance to 'combat' scaplers.

IMHO, just stick to the one whom you always source from (not scaplers of course) and you are bound to get the items at normal retail price or sometimes even surprise discounts.....................

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:49 am

i just learn a word today ... Scalpers :roll: ... didn't know that there is a word for ppl who buy up everything, until now.

i'm guilty myself, i hav a tendancy to "clear the shelves" too if i like the collections :wink: ... but more on ST collectibles.

two years ago when i was shopping in philippines, i saw a shelf of ArtAsylum ST action figures ... i can't resist but bought up everything ... 2 salegirls help me to pack all 20-30 boxes into 3 luggage trolley bags, hehe :lol:
Last edited by Dr EMH on Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:44 pm

Dranoel wrote:How do you determine the quantity "lots of", and how do you know for sure if the person is grabbing those items to resell?

Consider this:
You are a collector. (yes!)
You have 2 buddies who are also collectors. (good buddies, we are)
You see the hot item at retail. (Finally found this item! I'm getting one to keep carded, and one to open)
You call your buddies (buddy#1: "help me get one?", buddy#2: "hey, get 2 for me too, so that I can open one and keep the other")
:?: Question: How many pieces do you end up buying off the shelf? (5)
Just as you are paying, someone walks by, snaps your photo, and publishes it online, along with unfriendly remarks about you.....

... but you were just buying for yourself and your buddies :?
EXACTLY! And what I've found out is that there're 'professional scalpers' who do nothing but snap up everything to sell at inflated prices later. Most of them have friends/relatives who work in big department stores, and some of their friends/relatives hold managerial posts there. These 'professional scalpers' don't even need to grab. They'll be informed when a shipment arrives in the store by their friend/relative and will be brought into the store to pick and choose what they want, and even pay for whatever they want through their friends/relatives to get staff price.

I know of at least one manager in a branch of a chain store in Malaysia who snaps up everything and resell himself.

Did that highly sought after item really never made it into the local market? Think again!
Dr EMH wrote:i just learn a word today ... Scalpers :roll: ... didn't know that there is a word for ppl who buy up everything, until now.
Hey Mr Scalper! :lol:

hunter

Post by hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:36 pm

if u can recall many years back during the SW orange/green card era, the dept stores actually sell in lots ie 1 popular card and 4 less popular cards so as to deter scaplers..............it did work to a certain extend because it also put off the genuine collector be/c of the high price (4 figures) as well as repteated ones..................

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:20 pm

scapler is born b'cos of shortage in supply and high in demand ... if supply is plenty, then this won't happen.

it's not easy to become a scapler ... (1) u need adequate capital (2) u need warehousing (3) u need to foresee the demand is high enough for a hefty profit later ... in short, scapler need to take risk (just like any biz).
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:21 pm

Latest

From Sgcollect
Just came back from suntec.. Saw bout 3 boxes of shadow trooper in the storeroom..

Saw a guy buyin 6-10 pieces.. wonderin if he's the trolley guy u all referin to.

And i happened over heard his converstion on his hp, apprently he still wants more (or all?), bt the promoter refuse sayin tat each person can only buy 6 (which i think its far more then eunff). so he was like askin for re-enforcement..

The troopers definately wont last tat long.. so hurry up guys!
Good hunting
Heads up people on yahoo auctions and china square central. I'll be reporting whatever i can find

Hell with scalpers
Burn in hell

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/94033558

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:25 pm

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/94043404

Oh come on ...tell me all this people didn't get theirs from TRUs

ARC

Post by ARC » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi im loss here.. u mean TRU have these!

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:05 pm

ARC wrote:Hi im loss here.. u mean TRU have these!

They appeared
and disappeared

Check em out at CSC!! :twisted:

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:22 am

Shadow Trooper at S$25? omg! and its gone again?!?

I really have a ton of something to swear, but i can control.... control...

CSC also $25? or?

SIanz leh...i got at $45 last time... thought many shops selling ard tt price lor, thought tt was the cheapest...

What abt SWS exclusive Covert Ops..will it appear in TRU???

e3lipse

Post by e3lipse » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:11 am

LMAO
CSC sell shadow troopers for $25
Pigs can fly and cows start barking
CENTRAL SCALPERS CENTRE would be SELLING SHADOW TROOPERS for a SUPER RIP OFF PRICE.

I'm pretty close to giving up collecting , and just ripping open every single card i got. Scalpers are dissing it the hell out of me... I've not been able to collect any new stuffs for the past 6 weeks ... Scalpers are fast and furious...

Time to take a sledgehammer down to csc.. :twisted:

fabianlau

yo

Post by fabianlau » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:22 pm

i saw wad convert op the grey colour clone trooper selling at csc at $43!!!! ex sia
sTAR WARS

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”