Japanese tsunami 2011: Lesson for Singapore scalpers

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

masteryoyo

Japanese tsunami 2011: Lesson for Singapore scalpers

Post by masteryoyo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 pm

A story told to masteryoyo:
After the recent tsunami hit Japan, water and food supplies were running out in many small towns and villages. A man visited the local supermarket to stock-up on supplies. There were only 10 bottles of mineral water left on the shelf. The man ONLY bought 5 bottles and otther essential supplies and left the supermart. When asked why he did NOT buy all 10 bottles, his reply was "5 bottles of mineral water are sufficient for me and family for the time being. I did NOT buy the rest of the bottles because others will need them." :cry:

Masteryoyo is humbled by what the man said. Even in a time of crisis, when an individual's life is threatened, the man bought only what were NEEDED and left the rest for others. He could have very easily jusitified his actions of buying all 10 bottles by saying it is about life and death.

The story parallels Singaporeans' act of scalping. When new or discounted sw toys are available at stores, one will NEVER be able to even buy a single piece because of scalping behavior. The excuse given may be "too bad, you are slow." All that Masteryoyo can do is to ask scaplers to read the above story and reflect. On the bigger picture, scalping behaviour really reflects the ugly side of us. If we cannot even take care of fellow sw fans when it comes to simple things such as toys, how can we depend on each other in times of crisis. Anyway, this thread is not meant to direct attack on local scalpers. Just a call to reflect. Masteryoyo salutes the man for his ethical behavior and care for others in times of crisis :D

As a gesture of kindness, do join Masteryoyo and leave a message of encouragement to victims of the recent tsunami. Do not just read this thread and do nothing. Do leave a message of encouragement that we care ... show that we do care about bigger things in life. To the vicims, "Be strong, you will overcome the crisis." :) :)
Last edited by masteryoyo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

mosske

Post by mosske » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 pm

TK4546 likes this!
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

yen

Post by yen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 pm

masteryoyo

Post by masteryoyo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

More post-tsunami stories to warm our hearts as related by the Japanese:

1) Last night when I was walking home (since all traffic had stopped), I saw an old lady at a bakery shop. It was totally past their closing time, but she was giving out free bread. Even at times like this, people were trying to find what they can do and it made my heart warm.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) In the supermarket, where items of all the shelves fell, people were picking up things so neatly together, and then quietly stand in line to buy food. Instead of creating panic and buying as much as needed, they bought as little as they needed. I was proud to be a Japanese.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) When I was walking home, for 4 hours, there was a lady holding a sign that said, "Please use our toilet." They were opening their house for people to go to the restroom. It was hard not to tear up, when I saw the warmth of people.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) At Disneyland, they were giving out candies. High school girls were taking so many so I was thinking, "What???" But then the next minute, they ran to the children in the evacuation place and handed it to them. That was a sweet gesture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) My co-worker wanted to help somehow, even if it was just to one person. So he wrote a sign: "If you're okay with motorcycle, I will drive you to your house." He stood in the cold with that sign. And then I saw him take one gentleman home, all the way to Tokorozawa! I was so moved. I felt like I wanted to help others too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) There is a lack of gas now and many gasoline stations are either closed or have very loooong lines. I got worried, since I was behind 15 cars. Finally, when it was my turn, the man smiled and said, "Because of this situation, we are only giving $30 worth gas per each person. Is that alright?" "Of course its alright. I'm just glad that we are all able to share," I said. His smile gave me so much relief.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) I saw a little boy thanking a public transit employee, saying, "Thank you so much for trying hard to run the train last night." It brought tears to the employee's eyes, and mine.
8 ) A foreign friend told me that she was shocked to see a looong queue form so neatly behind one public phone. Everyone waited so patiently to use the phone even though everyone must have been so eager to call their families.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
9) The traffic was horrible!! Only one car can move forward at green light. But everyone was driving so calmly. During the 10 hour drive (which would only take 30 minutes normally) the only horns I heard was a horn of thank you. It was a fearful time -- but then again a time of warmth and it made me love Japan more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10) When I was waiting at the platform, so tired and exhausted, a homeless person came to us and gave us a cardboard to sit on. Even though we usually ignore them in our daily life, they were ready to serve us.
11) Suntory (a juice company) is giving out free drinks, phone companies are creating more wi-fi spots, 1,000,000 noodles were given by a food company, and everyone is trying to help the best way they can. We, too, have to stand up and do our best.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12) Whenever there is a black out, people are working hard to fix it. Whenever the water stops, there are people working to fix that too. And when there is problem with nuclear energy, there are people trying to fix that too. It doesn't just fix itself. While we are waiting to regain the heat in the cool temperature or have running water, there were people risking their life to fix it for us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13) When I grow older, I am going to tell my children and grandchildren, "When your grandma was young, there was a big earth quake in Japan which brought the world to one. And everyone worked so hard to help support each other and everyone was shining. To be able to tell that story, I'm going to work hard in rebuilding that work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14) In Korea, a Japanese man got a cab ride and when it was time to pay, the driver refused and said: "You are Japanese, yes?" Yes. "When you go back to Japan, please donate the fee." Beyond nationality or politics, we are all the same.
15) I saw a man at the evacuation center crying when people brought food to him. It was the first time in 3 days that the food was brought to their center. But his next words surprised me. "I am very grateful that we are provided with food. But, but, the city next to us they are not receiving any food at all. Please go to that center as well."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16) An old man at the evacuation shelter said, "What's going to happen now?" And then a young high school boy sitting next to him said, "Don’t worry! When we grow up, we will promise to fix it back!" While saying this, he was rubbing the old man's back. And when I was listening to that conversation, I felt hope. There is a bright future, on the other side of this crisis.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masteryoyo once again wishes that rebuilding and reconstruction of the affected areas will begin soon....
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

adamteo

Post by adamteo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 pm

a strong nation, they are.

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”